• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What type of plastic is the fairing on my K1200LT made of?

MGMcAnick

I'm getting very close to being ready to reassemble my K1200LT. I have bought all of the parts to make it rideable, and only lack a few cosmetic pieces to make it gorgeous again.

My right main fairing has a couple of cracks at the bottom. If a don't fix these cracks, a small section of plastic may someday fall out. The cracks can be fixed by putting a patch on the backside. The repair will be nearly invisible, unless I point at it. I have a nice double barreled epoxy gun with a tip designed to mix the two parts together as I squeeze the trigger. My question is, what kind of plastic is the fairing made of so my supplier will know exactly which product to sell me? He and I are thinking it's ABS.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of adhesive I should use? I know the body shop supplier will, but his are not the cheapest, and may not be the best.

Thanks in advance for sharing the vast knowledge of this group with me.

Chuck

There should or may be a marking on the back that will say.
I know there is on the 800ST. However, I found that any good epoxy for plastic would work.
dc

A lot of the epoxys don't soften the plastic for best adhesion. I think those that soften the substrate do the best job.

There should or may be a marking on the back that will say. dc

Well, therein lies an interesting question.

How does one say ABS in German?

On the backside of each main fairing, adjacent to the part numbers, I see >PBT+PC<

On the backside of each lower fairing, which seems to be a slightly different, more pliable, plastic, I see >PA6+GF10+ MIN20<

Are these the identifiers for the plastic? If so, what do they mean?

I don't see a USA variety of recycle symbol.

Lower cowl broke but good.

The lower cowl on my 87 K75S was cracked and wobbly from about the sight glass hole to the rear mount. I was a bit concerned it would just break off or worse, vibrate and make me crazier than I am.

I gouged out the crack with a knife, filled with Evercoat's Maxim urethane plastic repair system, sanded, painted and it looks like new.

It's expensive and time consuming but I'm thinking I could attach a hook to my lower cowl now and pull Semi's out of the Rhubarb.

Back