• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

single wall tents??

MechanicSavant

here we go w/another tent diatribe , I'm looking for folks w/single wall tent experiance particularly eureka zeus exo 2 or 3 tents ..I've been using an apex xt2 for a number of yrs. w/good results ..however as I age I'm looking for easier set up versus a 2 wall unit . I'm leaning towards a zeus 3 exo ,of course price & performance are the major concerns , weight & pack size not so much ..thanx for any help :bow

MSR Fling

I've had one of these for a couple of years and I really like it. On a few occasions, on still nights, I've had condensation on the inside but it clears up pretty quickly. It weighs next to nothing, sets up in no time, and there is loads of room inside. I always use the ridge pole, although you can save weight and room by leaving it at home. Here are some other reviews http://www.trailspace.com/gear/msr/fling/

Sorry a bivvy bag is out, I sleep on a cot & like to keep most of my kit (boots,riding gear&helmet inside the tent) Also I'm rather used up & don't wriggle in& out of tight spaces well so that leaves out bivvys n solo tents , but thanx for the thought !!

Zeus 2LT

Hello,

I have had the LE for a couple of years and so far, really like it. I purchased it to use while backpacking as it packs very small, and secondly, the alum poles are short enough to fit into a Jesse bag.
I had heard some negative things about single wall tents in general, but after trying to put up a dual wall tent in a rain storm and having it fill with water before I could get the fly over it, I thought I'd give it a try.
My fiance and I slept in it during a rain storm and had no problems with interior condensation. It ventilated perfectly and we were comfortable, except for my snoring.....
It is strong, very light weight, and packs small enough to make it useable for motorcycle camping. There is plenty of room inside for two people (the 2LE) without crowding, and I am very pleased with it.
I believe I paid something like $125 from Campmor while on sale. Very nice tent.... Questions???? email me.....

Jeff:wave

Last edited:
I've used single wall tents for a long time. I started out with a Marmot Taku back in the 80s and now have a Eureka Zeus LE 3 person tent. The Zeus LE has good quality aluminum poles, packs very small, doors on both sides (for two people) and has very good ventilation. I've never stayed in it for days at a time in heavy rains (I live in the arid west), but there has never been a condensation problem. The Zeus LE is a very good quality tent at a great price. Shopping around, I found one last year for about $125.

41G5Y1BS5QL._AA280_.jpg

Single Wall Eureka (Zeus 2-3)

I've had a Eureka Apollo 2 for just over a year and used it for around 10 nights. The Zeus appears to be a replacement for the Apollo. Love those names. With double wall venting at the top and bottom I've had good luck with the Apollo but on cold (40-50 degree) nights I do get condensation. Since the lower section is double walled, there is no issue with getting your gear wet. It is easy to set up and packs down small enough to fit in my massive R1200RT truck (less than 22 inches long). Make sure you get a ground cover with the tent. Eureka normally includes a matched cover with the tent. The cost for the Apollo was $108.

Back