• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Anyone camping in WV or PA Tuesday 7/18 ?

ALIENHITCHHIKER

Anyone camping in the general vicinity of Pa (or WV/Maryland) Tuesday night?

My wife and I going to 'B&B' for the rally, but I'm riding up solo and so I thought I might slip in at least one night of camping.

Wednesday I'll ride to Albany, NY to pick up my Honey. Then on to Vermont Thursday morning.

So, if anyone or a group is camping Tuesday within striking distance of my route and wouldn't mind one more tent, I'd enjoy a camp fire.

I don't know about a group, but Pine Grove Furnace State Park is a good bet for quiet camping. For a good riding approach, coming north on I-81, exit at Greencastle, taking PA 16 east to left onto PA 997 north in Waynesboro to right onto PA 233 north in Mont Alto and stay on PA 233 to Pine Grove Furnace. If you have GPS, just go to Mont Alto and start up PA 233. If you come up US 15, get off for Gettysburg, and 17 miles north from the square on PA 34, turn left at the Twirly Top to Pine Grove Furnace.

The next day, you can continue up PA 233 north to rejoin (ugh!) I-81, or stay on PA 233 to continue northeast for better routes across the Pennsylvania mountains and the Susquehanna River to cross the Clarks Ferry bridge or on the Millersburg Ferry. (See threads on PA routes.)

Fred

? Reed's Gap State Park / US 522

Fred - thanks!

I'm not familiar with PA state parks, so your tip sent me surfing the PA State Parks web site. I'm looking at Reed's Gap State Park, outside of Reedsville. The website shows it as having hot showers but tent sites only (ideal for me). Pine Grove Furnance seems to be rustic only - no showers - and I do get stinky on the road :uhoh

Reed's Gap will also let me pick up US 522 in Maryland and run it north to within just a few miles of the park, giving me a good mix (hopefully) of slab & state road..

Anyone familiar with Reed's Gap SP and/or US 522?

Good point about showers.

I know Reeds Gap State Park in Mifflin County, Pennsylvania, but I can't say much about it as a special attraction other than the New Lancaster Valley was originally a CCC camp. It is very quiet and out of the way. You will encounter horses and buggies on the road leading northeast up the valley to the park. Except for the showers and the need for rest, I wouldn't say it's worth a long detour to get there. However, if you use Route 522, it is one valley over and would be convenient. Note that when you resume your journey in the morning, turn right out of the park and continue up the valley and hairpins over the mountain, and the little road connects with US522 in the next valley.

Fred

PA State Parks

Another cop story

A buddy and I visited Reeds Gap two months ago on a scavenger hunt, crossed over the mountain, turned left onto US 522, and within four miles I came up behind a slowish Harley followed by a pick-up, and I HAD to pass them. This guy was waiting for me with his radar.

Great place to hide; he may be there still. Left side three miles before before Beaver Springs.

Fred

Last edited:
Fred, I appreciate the input! I think I'll shoot for Reed's Gap. After a day of riding I might enjoy quiet & out of the way. (Anyone care to join me?)

I'll keep my eye open for your friend. You might be right about him still being there. He probably makes a habit of it.

Thanks.

Back