• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Schuberth Helmets

Kneedragon

I'm looking at getting a new lid and was wondering if anyone would care to share their experience with the Schuberth Concept flip up.

Hi,

I find mine to be noisy despite wearing ear plugs, on the heavy side and the venting marginal. On the positive side I love the flip-up feature, the drop down sun shade and the quality of it's construction.

No to the Schuberth!

Gizmo said:
Hi,

I find mine to be noisy despite wearing ear plugs, on the heavy side and the venting marginal. On the positive side I love the flip-up feature, the drop down sun shade and the quality of it's construction.

What he said!

Double Vision

This is my first season riding with the Concept helmet. I enjoy it very much. Recently however, I've been seeing four head lights from approaching cars when riding at night with the face shield down. I've cleaned it inside and out with no improvement.

Any suggestions, oh wise ones?

Thanks for the quick replies and input!
I found the helmet to be fairly uncomfortable when I tried several on earlier this week. I wondered if the liner would break in and conform to the shape of my melon like my Arai did. Apparently this seems not to be the case. The design of the helmet looks first rate. The noise thing is an issue with me. I wear heavy duty plugs and I really don't want to be subjected to more noise and/or buffeting. I get the feeling I might be better off getting another Arai....I guess I'll keep looking and reading.

Thanks again............

Re: Double Vision

beemerron said:
This is my first season riding with the Concept helmet. I enjoy it very much. Recently however, I've been seeing four head lights from approaching cars when riding at night with the face shield down. I've cleaned it inside and out with no improvement.

Any suggestions, oh wise ones?

Have you tried that faceshield polish National Cycle sells? It comes in a little blue can and works amazingly well.

Have you tried that faceshield polish National Cycle sells? It comes in a little blue can and works amazingly well.

I've been using Plexus, a pastic cleaner, protectant & polish.

I'm wondering if I may have washed off some type of anti-glare coating that was applied during manufacturing.

I should preface my reply by stating that I am a novice. So take my input accordingly. However, my experience with the Concept Helmet has been positive. The visor optics are clear. Fogging is minimal and the sun shield is very effecitve. I also purchased an X2 because of the similar design. The X2 is lighter and provides a aviator like sun shield. The visor optics are are not as clear as the Concept but the anti-fogging is as good.

2Tonic said:
I should preface my reply by stating that I am a novice. So take my input accordingly.

There is nothing wrong with being a novice as we are all novices at some point in our lives and in actuality we remain novices till death do us part from our wives, er, I mean world. :p

speaking of faceshields, does anyone have a suggestion for rain and fogging? such as rainex or defogger? will those type of products mess up the clearness of the plexiglass. and what about something to help with the bugs. so far i've been using spit and a 100% cotton t-shirt on the road, soap and warm water on a cotton washcloth at home and at hotels. thanks

1977 R75/7 said:
speaking of faceshields, does anyone have a suggestion for rain and fogging? such as rainex or defogger? will those type of products mess up the clearness of the plexiglass. and what about something to help with the bugs. so far i've been using spit and a 100% cotton t-shirt on the road, soap and warm water on a cotton washcloth at home and at hotels. thanks

I'm afraid this is gonna hijack this thread a little, but hey....

I've used Fog City shields and liked them. For a cleaner, I usually keep a little spray can of Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish and a diaper in the tank bag. Alternatively, a little water will get the bugs right off too.

Just a little addition to the "bugs-off" suggestions: For either face shields or windshields, if you wet a towel and lay it over the piece to be cleaned for a few minutes, it'll make it a _lot_ easier.

Hall

1977 R75/7 said:
speaking of faceshields, does anyone have a suggestion for rain and fogging? such as rainex or defogger?

The Fog City liner works great if ya donÔÇÖt mind the distortion and glare, especially at night. Be very careful with it. Only clean it with water and dab, donÔÇÖt wipe, it dry with a clean very soft cloth.

The best spray I have found is Scotts No Fog. It is made for plastic not glass like the car, RainX, no fog stuff. It takes 3 to 4 applications till it is working good. The car stuff quits working after about 1 hour in the rain.

I bought the Concept because it seemed to have everything I needed ~ the internal sun-visor is so cool. However I find the "venting" to be almost non-existant and in the rain I have to leave it open or I'm completely blind. Odd fitting too; they say the sizes run small which I would have to agree with. I've taken a spoon to the inside of the helmet to get rid of the pressure points and that has made a huge improvement. Still, for a long ride I wear my AGV.

Schubert Helmets

My brother uses a Schubert and he does say that the sizes run small, loves his visor, but helmet seems to be much heavier than my flip up HJC. I'm told the Austin PD Motorcycle Patrol all use HJC. I'm happy with mine, but I'm not sure it provides the protection of the Schubert.:brow

Best soap for removing bugs and snot

Well I have sneezed in my helmet...

Anyway the best thing I have found for cleaning my helmet and motorcycle is Rokeach soap. Yes, it is a brand name but many people simply call it "Kosher Soap" because it is kosher.

The stuff is the best thing I have ever found. It is so good I have my mother send it to me from NJ cause I can not buy it locally.

-=Brad

I find them to be overly expensive and noisy, but the drop down sun visor is the feature that made me buy one. I am not a big fan of flip front helmets (way too noisy), but if I could find a standard full-face with the trick sun visor, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Back