• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bluetooth Gear...Chatterbox

tonymarshall

Did Chatterbox ever get their new bluetooth commo hub to market?

I am looking for a bluetooth hub device to hook up my radar detector and XM radio. Ideally it would be a mount system, with the detector and XM, that could be simply unplugged and removed from the bike. Any ideas? My bike is an R1200 GSA. And yep, the trip to Alaska in August was awesome. Thanks.

The new XBi is out. I am going to try 2 of them and see how it goes. I use the Chatterbox 50 for teaching high performance driving and have been happy with it and the durability considering the rough treatment the unit gets and especially the spare headset I hand to different students all day.

Dave

Cool!
That looks exactly what I wanted, except that you can't communicate with other riders with this unit, have to get the bulky GMRS X1.

Cool!
That looks exactly what I wanted, except that you can't communicate with other riders with this unit, have to get the bulky GMRS X1.

Check out the Camos BTS 300. Does everything the Chatterbox bluetooth model does, but also has a bike-to-bike intercom.

I've had mine less than a week, so I can't recommend it yet. I need to make more calls on it before I really develop an opinion. Had one call so distored I could only make out a few words... not sure what was going on there. All other calls have been ok... but on a couple of them my wife complained about low volume and on another wind noise. The jury is still out.

It isn't compatible with voice dialed phones... With the Scala Rider Q2 I could access my cell phone directory with voice commands. With the BTS 300 I can only redial the last call from the helmet buttons. To call a different number I have to go to my phone and dial from the phone.

As far as the bluetooth connection to my MP3s... working flawlessly and sounds great.

I'll post an update once I spend more time playing with it.

I made one change today that (I think) had a significant impact on phone call quality today. I switched from carrying my cell phone in the left pocket on my jacket to the chest pocket. It changed the distance from the Camos 300 to the cell phone from a bit over 2 feet to about 1 foot. I made several calls today, all with excellent results. Feedback from Mrs. swilson was that it was easier to understand me while riding and that I was harder to understand while stopped at lights. But overall she said the quality was very good.

Got these sometime early in the week and finally had time to install
them late last night in my helmet and Gina's helmet. Testing in the
living room proved fine and we looked damn cool but squidly wouldn't
even begin to describe our attire. I figured it was going to take
some pretty serious platform building to get the speakers real close
to our ears to make the system work as it didn't seem very loud but I
was hopeful that they would work well after some tweaking. No
tweaking required... they worked great on our first test ride to
Lexington with no need for any adjustments, just turn them on and go.
In town they are awesome and need nothing and on the highway I needed
2 clicks up from middle volume to hear Gina with ease at 70 mph. I
think she did one click up in volume which is one out of about 5
higher volume settings. Nice! Bluetooth pairs with Blackberry and
delivers really nice stereo music (Freddie Cole in this case) to both
headsets. Sound quality is only as good as the speakers which I
really do not think are very high fidelity but the jazz sounded nice.
The R1200RT may contribute to this as there is a really nice pocket of
moving but smooth air around us when I adjust the windshield to just
the right height.

No wires at all, pure joy.

I won't use a phone on the bike in this lifetime but did test it off the bike and folks reported it sounded fine but my voice sounded a bit different.

Dave

I'd like to hear more on how the Camos BTS 200 (or the 300, but I'm interested in the less expensive 200s, since I need 2 of them) does at speed (60 ~ 80 MPH).

I like the price of the Blueant interphone, but the low battery life sounds bad. So is twice the price worth it? I doubt the wife and I talk for 3 ~ 5 hours, but our rides are longer than that, if you include the stops.

In the end I dumped the Camos 300. The noise canceling was just not on par with ScalaRider or Chatterbox. I decided I could live without the bike to bike communication and went with the Chatterbox XBi.

Check this thread for more info.

Thanks for the link...

I actually searched over there before heading here...

But I was searching "Camos" and nothing turned up.

I have a feeling I'm going to get bogged down in details again.

Back