• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dobeck EFI - Is it needed?

lsouth3

GEEZER
I just brought home my third R1100RS. It is a 2001 with low mileage and has the addition of Dobeck Performance EFI. I have been quite happy with the performance of the 1994 models and would love to hear more about this aftermarket performance add-on. I got this information;
http://dobeckperformance.com/TFI/TFItechnology.asp
and am still in the dark about whether this is really needed or even beneficial. I have not yet had time for a long ride as I am getting the bike ready. It needed a bit of tlc and I will be ready to ride tomorrow after the brake system flush.
What I have noticed thus far in my short rides is that it seems tight, idles low and requires the throttle advance to start. I will check the valves and TB sync also. Comments will be appreciated.

I have one on my R1100RT. It really brings the bike to life. The Accelerator pump option is the best part.

Try the bike with it turned all the way off.

Learn how to use it.

David

Thanks David. I will have a long trip next week covering at least a thousand miles so I will have a chance to experiment. It will be interesting.

The Techlusion requires trial and error. On that model, your O2 sensor and Coding plug should be removed. You can get a better idle if you then add a CO Pot.

Then with the tech installed you want to add a little at a time, ride, and see how you like it.

EDIT: I should have asked which model was installed. As noted in the next post the R259 maintains Closed Loop operation in some areas and, in their words, modifies the O2 signal. It would be even better if they explained how it was modified.

Last edited:
Techlusion Performance Fuel Injedction Control

After close to 2000 miles with the device I will keep it. Mine is model R259 and it requires the Oxygen sensor, the OEM "Cat Code Plug" and the TPS set to BMW specs. I use slightly more fuel with it. Not sure that I would go to all that trouble as I am happy with the RS performance anyway. I will continue to experiment with it on shorter trips with more stops for adjustment.

I am happy with the results of the Techlusion on my 94RS. I also modified the stock muffler with my own internal baffle design, and the result is it breathes a bit more free. The Techlusion helped to tune the fuel injection to better match the exhaust and I get typical fuel mileage (45 to 50) and stronger running. Oh, my RS is an early 94 model that had no CAT code plug at all.

I am happy with the results of the Techlusion on my 94RS. I also modified the stock muffler with my own internal baffle design, and the result is it breathes a bit more free. The Techlusion helped to tune the fuel injection to better match the exhaust and I get typical fuel mileage (45 to 50) and stronger running. Oh, my RS is an early 94 model that had no CAT code plug at all.

Hello Andy,
That's not quite correct. You may not have a physical code plug in your model but there is a jumper in the wiring harness that connects pin 10 of the Motronic cable connector to ground which means you do have a yellow code plug configuration. Think of this jumper as a phantom code plug.

Good information to have. Thanks for the input. It is just a matter of testing on shorter trips with a lot of trial and adjust. It is presently set as the PO set it and I think his best settings may also be mine.

Back