• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Portland Motorcycle is closing

I don't think I know of a dealership that had a bigger number of haters than that place. Even when I lived in Portland 23 years ago, people were wishing it would go away, and they just flat hung on forever.

Not much love for the place, but glad to see the BMW sign will be hanging around still. Wonder if it will move to the Duc shop in NW or if they will combine some where new.

If you want to buy a new BMW, you don't have to travel far to do so. We also have some outstanding independent mechanics in the area. Nobody will miss this place.

I don't know this dealership well at all, but to be fair, here's a positive. In July of 2010, my brother and I, shipped our bikes to the West coast and flew out to ride back east. We shipped them to Portland BMW. They were very accommodating during the overall process, including taking the time to fill us in on the local area and beyond. Not every dealer wants to be bothered by a semi unloading 20 bikes, from non-paying individuals, in their parking lot. They did it with a smile.

They've been around a long time. Never cared much for their new digs out by the airport. Jim, their parts counterman, has patiently walked me through many airhead/oilhead dilemmas. Such a nice guy. Now all we have is BMW of Western Oregon. I guess that is something to be thankful for.
Ray

I don't know this dealership well at all, but to be fair, here's a positive. In July of 2010, my brother and I, shipped our bikes to the West coast and flew out to ride back east. We shipped them to Portland BMW. They were very accommodating during the overall process, including taking the time to fill us in on the local area and beyond. Not every dealer wants to be bothered by a semi unloading 20 bikes, from non-paying individuals, in their parking lot. They did it with a smile.

Same for my group last year. Even came in on a Sunday so we could pick up the bikes. :thumb

Thanks for everything

This shop has been around since 1948. We have one less resource now. I don't know what expectations people have from a motorcycle shop that would make them some want to dance on their grave. I bought three bikes there and appreciated the convenience of having them there. I was always treated fairly and didn't expect to get my butt kissed for darkening their door.

I raise my glass to Portland Motorcycle, thanks for the last 64 years. :clap

I ordered parts there last wednesday, noted the showroom was practically empty. No one said boo about closing, I will miss Jim. Paul is nice enough but doesn't have the knowledge Jim has.
When I moved to Portland I tried to establish a relationship with PMC but it was clear that was a one way street. I would travel twice as far to go to the Aloha shop just to avoid PMC, thats where I met Jim, always friendly willing to help find the odd part he thought was no longer available.
Now PMC is walking distance from my work so I go there but they never figured out how to be friendly.
I commented to the cashier that the showroom was kind of naked, she just said they were having issues getting new stock. Why do people lie? All I know is I expect to get my parts.
For me it wasn't expecting someone to kiss my butt, but I don't expect to be accused of stealing when returning a tank bag purchased the day before without a receipt.

Never bought a bike there (I don't buy new) but their parts and service folks were always pleasant and helpful. It is disappointing to see another local dealer go.

I too never bought a bike there, and I too will miss Jim and his wealth of knowledge in the parts department. I have had issues with their service department, but I expected that with their new location and freshened appearance that they would have upgraded that aspect of the enterprise.

I will miss the resource and wish the owners and employees the best

I only bought parts & oil at PMC . Jim was very knowledgeable. It closed up in less than two weeks time. BMWOR in Tigard ,OR is a very good shop.

I split my time between Atlanta and Portland (Hood River) so I was trying to establish a rapport with those guys. Didn't buy a bike there, mostly because the sales guy tried to convince me to buy an expedition riding jacket and pants with the bike I was looking at, because....wait for it.......on impact the body panels instantly hardened in whatever shape they were in, to save the rider. At that point I knew we had a credibility issue.

So is the dealer in Tigard the next best option for sales and service?

Tigard is the only BMW dealership between Salem and Tacoma. A friend of mine just had his GS totaled and got nowhere on price for a replacement from the Tigard store. So he is buying from Ride West in Seattle.

Tigard is the only BMW dealership between Salem and Tacoma. A friend of mine just had his GS totaled and got nowhere on price for a replacement from the Tigard store. So he is buying from Ride West in Seattle.

Isn't it amazing how an insurance adjuster and motorcycle salesman can be so far apart on value, and which one to agree with changes with circumstances.

Unless the Ride West people were significantly more facile in dealing with the insurance guy (which is possible, I admit), it seems more likely that what was going on was that Tigard was rigid on price, and just lost the sale.

But...Ride West is in Seattle, not Tacoma...? South Sound is the Tacoma (actually Fife) dealership, and they're no longer co-owned with Ride West. (Unless something changed very recently). But we do get your point.

Hope you're friend wasn't too badly injured in the accident that totaled his GS!

Cheers!:buds

But...Ride West is in Seattle, not Tacoma...? South Sound is the Tacoma (actually Fife) dealership, and they're no longer co-owned with Ride West. (Unless something changed very recently). But we do get your point.

Hope you're friend wasn't too badly injured in the accident that totaled his GS!

My friend was able to ride home a few blocks after the paramedics checked him out. Sadly to say it was a hit and run. He was on 405 almost to his exit when someone in a Tahoe jumped into his lane, he was able to avoid the initial contact but somehow got hit from behind and went down. Luckily he wasn't going fast enough to get hurt other than big bruises. The person never stopped.

As far as Ride West/South Sound ownership, I don't know. But I do know "BMW of Western Oregon in Tigard is still the only dealership between Salem and Tacoma, er I mean Fife!"

My friend was able to ride home a few blocks after the paramedics checked him out. Sadly to say it was a hit and run. He was on 405 almost to his exit when someone in a Tahoe jumped into his lane, he was able to avoid the initial contact but somehow got hit from behind and went down. Luckily he wasn't going fast enough to get hurt other than big bruises. The person never stopped.

As far as Ride West/South Sound ownership, I don't know. But I do know "BMW of Western Oregon in Tigard is still the only dealership between Salem and Tacoma, er I mean Fife!"

Back