• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dealer choosing

arbolmano

Greetings all. Maybe a no brainer question for some but an area I bet someone else has had experience. When I purchased my R1200RT in 2012 it was the very first time I had purchased any sort of a vehicle "new". At the time I was living in Southern California and I simply chose the nearest dealer. As a mechanic, I perform all of my own service work, though I did have the dealer set my maint reminder and check out the synch at 600 miles. Since then I have moved Northward. There is a BMW dealer about 100 miles closer to me and without having to navigate the treacherous roadways of So Cal. My question would be would it be a faux pax to go to a dealer other than the one I purchased the bike from? I'm thinking in case of warranty issues etc. Also I'd love to hear opinions of the two dealers in Central California, though the more Southern one is closest to me.
Thanks in advance

Greetings all. Maybe a no brainer question for some but an area I bet someone else has had experience. When I purchased my R1200RT in 2012 it was the very first time I had purchased any sort of a vehicle "new". At the time I was living in Southern California and I simply chose the nearest dealer. As a mechanic, I perform all of my own service work, though I did have the dealer set my maint reminder and check out the synch at 600 miles. Since then I have moved Northward. There is a BMW dealer about 100 miles closer to me and without having to navigate the treacherous roadways of So Cal. My question would be would it be a faux pax to go to a dealer other than the one I purchased the bike from? I'm thinking in case of warranty issues etc. Also I'd love to hear opinions of the two dealers in Central California, though the more Southern one is closest to me.
Thanks in advance

Perfectly acceptable. There may be a few dinosaurs left within any dealer network but I would recommend you deal with whomever you choose.

Central CAL:

2 near me are Fresno and Modesto, Bakersfield too has one I never been to. My favorite is Modesto(Cycle Specialties) by far, bought my last 5 Beemers there and I live only a few miles from Fresno dealer. You shop where they make you feel right and let you ask questions without you feeling out of place! Some do indeed treat you like a number and that's wrong. Warranty is accepted at any dealer, JUST you usually get better response from folks you know. I got good warranty service at Morton's BMW in Virginia a few years back, never having been there and 3000m from home. NOT all dealers are created equal, imo. Randy

All dealers will take care of you. You moved & it's totally understandable. We service bikes here from all over. Just make your new contacts, and you should be all set. No issues from the dealers stand point.

Nobody turns down business but still it's good to let them know why you're there and it isn't because you're looking for "cheap." Treat them like their service is something you're glad to get and they'll treat you like they're glad to provide it.

You may want to consider > BMW Motorcycle of Ventura County > http://www.bmwventura.com/

An independent shop in San Luis Obispo that I've had good service from; Coast Riders Powersports (on south Higuera Street at Prado Road (across from DMV))

Attachments

• Coast Riders Powersports.jpg
    Coast Riders Powersports.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 89
I chose to buy from BMW of Fresno over another dealer much closer. The closer dealer has a very poor service department in my opinion and while I purchased several bikes there I was lucky to require no warranty work. The longer 3 hour ride north to Fresno is worth the effort due to their very good service department. I have known the Service Manger there for a few years and met several very knowledgeable technicians prior to buying. I do my own service work at home but figured a warranty visit would be more likely with a new model. My confidence in the service department was a priority over convenience of location. So far I am happy with my choice. The new bike has been brilliant.

Back