• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Seal Swell ??? BRAKE FLUID ???

WooDmEn

I see my GS is weeping onto the shelf at the rear, rear main seal is 3 years old, latest version at the time. Not a big deal, it can weep until the cows come home or I buy enuff beer to change it. Wuz at the auto parts, and just for giggles, asked them if they had any magic juice that might swell up a seal. They did, fifteen bucks, BUT...

...the counter guys said, "For three quarts of oil, put in about half an ounce of brake fluid. Works like a charm."

Anyone ever try this? Can it do any harm elsewhere?

Anyone ever found any other magic juice that might swell up a seal, assuming it hasn't torn or been damaged?

I would try the Lucas additive. I have it in stock for wheel hubs, transmissions, steering, engine oil and hydraulic fluid. I have had enough good results that recommend that the Lucas problems are worth the try. OM

Seal

I would try the Lucas additive. I have it in stock for wheel hubs, transmissions, steering, engine oil and hydraulic fluid. I have had enough good results that recommend that the Lucas problems are worth the try. OM

Thanx. Hey I see you have a TW! Cool little GS, isn't it. We have one, originally intended as TLN's (The Lovely Norma) Forest Service Road GS, but I use it to scout unknown roads - hey, if it breaks, I can carry it out of the woods...

What is the name of the Lucas stuff? If you sell it, how much to send me some?

What gear oil are you using? Most of the gear oils today already have those types of additives. I suspect the issue is likely seal wear if it got put back on to the same rough spot on the end of the crank.

Edit: As Kent points, out I was on the wrong side of the oil situation! Doh! But even so, same situation with oil additives...they're designed to work well with seals and keep them pliable and in good shape. Shouldn't really need to doctor the chemistry...IMO.

This is what I'd try in your case http://www.lucasoil.com/products/di...&headTitle= - Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer
and no- I don't sell it, just have enough experience with it so as I can recommend it. It's available at most any auto parts store.
As far as the TW, yeah it's a hoot. Me and a friend of mine spent part of today with the carb apart doing a "shim job" so it will run without the choke.
Let us know how you make out.
Gary

Lucas?

I have been a fan of Lucas products for years in my car, and now use it in my motorcycle.

However, has anyone looked into the difference between what they call their "Oil Stabilizer" and their product called "Oil additive that helps stop leaks."

Are these the same but just marketed with a different purpose? Or are they, in fact, actually different products?

I see my GS is weeping onto the shelf at the rear, rear main seal is 3 years old, latest version at the time. Not a big deal, it can weep until the cows come home or I buy enuff beer to change it. Wuz at the auto parts, and just for giggles, asked them if they had any magic juice that might swell up a seal. They did, fifteen bucks, BUT...

...the counter guys said, "For three quarts of oil, put in about half an ounce of brake fluid. Works like a charm."

Anyone ever try this? Can it do any harm elsewhere?

Anyone ever found any other magic juice that might swell up a seal, assuming it hasn't torn or been damaged?

Dot 3 or 4 brake fluid will potentially do more than soften the seal material. Depending on what the seal material is it may actually make it dissolve into a puddle of goo.
Whether or not a 1/2 ounce for 3 quarts of oil would be enough volume to do this I do not know.

Must have been a really old guy at the parts counter. That's one not heard very often anymore. I've seen it work but not anytime recently. The new materials used these days I'd think it would not work or even cause damage so I would not do brake fluid to try and curtail a leak. Or more of what looks like a weeping.

And now that I think of it, it was always an automatic transmission leak that the brake fluid was for. I don't remember it for engine seals.

"FWIW, I don't think I've ever had a counter guy say anything even remotely valuable"

Dude, you need to visit Hermy's BMW

Back