• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2012 Ural M70 - They've Almost Got It Right

r60us

I've owned a couple sidecar outfits over the past 20 years including my current BMW powered Dnepr. I've mostly ignored Urals because they (1) still lacked in the reliability department, (2) I'm not a fan of any high fendered motorcycle, and (3) I don't have any requirement for two wheel drive.

The M70 Anniversary edition was a pleasant surprise. A bit of catching up revealed that the Ural is significantly improved and even has some German gears! I later learned that the M70 is based on the Ural Retro which was redesigned in 2010. The only Ural website has current 360 degree pictures of the current version is Ural Europe.

The new Retro still needs a few tweaks to make it look "right". Here's my take on the Retro. I think any vintage BMW afficionado would enjoy one of these new-old outfits with a two year unlimited warranty!
  • M70 style headlight rim
  • BMW /7 or similar style mirrors
  • fuel tank in a more horizontal position
  • slightly upswept mufflers (current Urals look sagged in the rear)
  • valenced rear fender
  • traditional pinstripe pattern on bodywork and sidecar

This is what it would look like:
My-Ural-Retro-bw.jpg

And here's my Dnepr with lowered fenders and 28 other modifications including ;):
  • /5 engine
  • two piece bolt-on engine adapter
  • BMW headlight, wiring harness, cables, controls, switches
  • 28Ah battery
  • custom starter cover, air cleaner ends, intake hoses
  • stainless exhaust
  • front brake converted to twin leading shoe, BMW style linkage and cable
  • Karcoma fuel tap /special adapter nut
  • gearbox input shaft with BMW spline for use with stock BMW clutch

cvrsn7.jpg

I like the M70, especially the machine gun mount on the sidecar. The website says they're only making 30 of them (!) Bet they're gone fast.

Back