• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Advice/reviews/etc on aftermarket seats '05 R1200RT

bmwmarty1

I sold my KTM 950 Adventure this past winter and bought a new RT. My wife and I put 45k 2up on that thing but only the last 4k on an aftermarket seat. Might still be riding it if not for inattentive 21 yr old who rear ended me. We had a Russell Day-long made and it was superb. But, that is the only experience I have with 2up custom seats. As with heat, shipping, suspension, etc it costs a grand plus. We are not iron-butters anymore so would love to hear from others about their experience with any other brands. The stock seat sucks.

Had Corbin's on the last three bikes loved them, but then I got a Russel. I got a Russel best seat in 40 years.

I sold my KTM 950 Adventure this past winter and bought a new RT. My wife and I put 45k 2up on that thing but only the last 4k on an aftermarket seat. Might still be riding it if not for inattentive 21 yr old who rear ended me. We had a Russell Day-long made and it was superb. But, that is the only experience I have with 2up custom seats. As with heat, shipping, suspension, etc it costs a grand plus. We are not iron-butters anymore so would love to hear from others about their experience with any other brands. The stock seat sucks.

45K miles since last winter...you ride a lot...

I'm a big fan of Corbin. I put one on my GSA this spring and it completely transformed my riding experience. Did 2500 miles in 5 days with the longest day being 860 miles...that seat made all of the difference. I was in agony on the stock seat after 150 miles. Build quality is exceptional and its still narrow enough at the front for standing on the pegs or touching the ground at stops. I think I've had Corbin on 8 or 9 bikes and have loved all of them without exception.

DSC04242.jpg

DSC04241.jpg

DSC04229.jpg

I have always had Russells on my Goldwing's and my FJR. Thought I would try something different on the R1200RT. I tried BMW's Comfort Seat and it felt like I was always being pushed into the tank. Tried the Sargent seat and it was nice but not as nice as the Russell. Gotta say, though, that Sargent has excellent customer service. That being said, I will be ordering a Russell Day Long for my RT in the next couple of weeks. They are really very comfortable. I am not keen on the looks, and it does take some getting used to, but they are still the best, in my experience....

45k on KTM

Sorry forgot to mention it was an 05. Put in service in march 06. So the 45k was over a few years. I appreciate the feedback. That Russell was really funky looking on the KTM probably not so much on the RT. Since the wife's butt is a very high maitanance feature of this particular bike I will probably bite the bullet again and pay for the day-long again.

Have 57,000 miles on my Bill Mayer saddle and could not be happier although I think it is time to take it back to Oja and get Rocky to rebuild it. Seems like the foam is breaking down a bit. Tried Corbin and hated it--just more evidence that every butt is different.

I sent my stock GSA seat off to Baldwin Saddles when the bike only had a little over 1,000 miles on it. The stock seat was unrideable (for me). I had a Baldwin built seat for my DL1000 VStrom and was very pleased with it.

I've now had the chance to get about 500 miles on the Baldwin and I'm once again amazed and pleased with how a custom seat can transform the ride. My 2012 GSA came with a two color seat so I wanted to keep the same colors. I sent Loren Mock at Baldwin a paint chip from Sherwin Williams and he went to a local got the same paint chip then located the exact colors.

I apologize for the quality of the cellphone photos I'll get some real camera photos and post a more thorough review if there is interest. I'm planning a couple thousand mile riding vacation in the next couple weeks so I'll have more to say about it.

IMAG0373-L.jpg

IMAG0377-L.jpg

Advice/reviews/etc on aftermarket seats

I am running a Russell Day-Long on my '96 rt. It did not come with the bike and I bought one of those inflatable Air Hawks down in Daytona for the ride back to NY last March. I like the stock seat but after a couple hundred miles I'm aching. For a few hours ride or around town it's fine. Turned out the previous owner had the Russell and transferred it to a 1150. He then sold that bike and in conversation said that he had one available. So it's not custom made for me. But it is excellent as far as ride and comfort.
With the stock seat I am set at the highest position (leg/knee bend). I'm 6'2". The Russell has a bit more than 1 1/2 of padding so I had to go down to the middle position. Because there are those funky looking side-wings on the Russell I can just get my feet sitting flat on the pavement though it do have to push myself forward. I have no idea how the previous owner who is about 5'6" and also used the middle position kept his feet on the ground. The ride compared to the stock is superb. I'll keep the Air Hawk for my Softail. It is an excellent product if you don't want to take the plunge into the cost of a custom seat. If I didn't buy used I'd still be using the Air Hawk on my rt.
Mike Wex
'96 r1100rt

My last three bikes (ST1100, ST1300, & R1200RT) have had Corbins. The Corbin is a better fit on the ST1300 than my current RT but still like them. Got 32K miles on the RT but rode it with the stock seat for 15K trying to like the stock seat. But the Corbin is much better than the stock seat. I've done two 10 day 4,000+ mile tours with it.

I'm sure the Russel is awesome but I don't like the looks and cost.

Your butt may vary...
tsp
My Blog: http://www.swriding.blogspot.com

My last three bikes (ST1100, ST1300, & R1200RT) have had Corbins. The Corbin is a better fit on the ST1300 than my current RT but still like them. Got 32K miles on the RT but rode it with the stock seat for 15K trying to like the stock seat. But the Corbin is much better than the stock seat. I've done two 10 day 4,000+ mile tours with it.

I'm sure the Russel is awesome but I don't like the looks and cost.

Your butt may vary...
tsp
My Blog: http://www.swriding.blogspot.com

How much difference is there in cost? The front seat, heated, from Corbin is $559. Russell varies from $480-600 for the front, depending on covering material and retains the factory heat. It's a wash price wise.

An additional thought, heated seats?

I live in western NC, ride here in the fair weather, head to SC in the winter months. Do you really need heated seats. Never used mine except to try it out. Wife kinda likes her's. Welcome all opinions!

I live in western NC, ride here in the fair weather, head to SC in the winter months. Do you really need heated seats. Never used mine except to try it out. Wife kinda likes her's. Welcome all opinions!

I only use it if it gets below 32˚F. Now that I have moved to AZ, probably won't use it again.

I ride my bikes till ice ends the season, last year's last ride was 8˚F. My butt never got cold, but the tips of my thumbs did.

just in case someone is following this thread is interested in a corbin non electric seat for their 1200 RT, i am running one pending the return of my Russell. it will be for sale for a reasonable price at that time. pm if interested.

Back