• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New R65... point us in the right directions?

Kev M

GREETINGS ALL!!!

My wonderful wife just gave me a great excuse to get a second bike (and a return to BMWS!).

Ya see, we married last June and, to help pay for the wedding I said goodbye to my 1996 R1100RSA...

.. honestly, I was ready to see it go. I mean the bike was GREAT, but it never tugged at my heart strings the way some of my other bikes (mostly Harleys believe or not) did.

Of course, many years before I met my wife I had a brief fling with an R80/7... (brief meaning a couple of years).

But she was a tired old girl of more than 80k miles and I had 3 other bikes in the garage (A LOT newer) who demanced less attention and therefore got more attention (riding at least).

Anyway...

Jenn is about to take the MSF and we needed a first bike for her, but just couldn't bring ourselves to get the typical UJM that we wouldn't care about in a year.

We looked at some older 650 Guzzis and at R60/R65s figuring that they were small enough to inspire some confidence, but large enough to want to keep around long term.

Last night we went to look at a 1981 R65 and I rode it home for her (I'm SUCH a nice guy).

Anyway, it's not perfect, but in DARN nice shape. Decent compression, all original, 2 owners before her but they were friends and we feel PRETTY confident we've got the true history, never been down... a couple of scratches here or there, no biggie.

It needs a couple of things and Jenn would like a couple more.

So I know it's our first post here, but could we possibly impose upon you guys to point us in the right direction.

PLEASEEEEEEEE

Well, assuming your agreeable, here's what we're looking for.

1. Odometer rebuild or replacement speedo. The odo isn't working (it was rebuilt once already). Any recommendations of rebuilders or replacement sources. The dealer already quoted us $330 for an OE replacement.

2. SMALL windscreen. Jenn wants something small to deflect a little wind, but she's not a fairing type of girl. She passed on a buddies R65LS because she just doesn't like the looks. Anyway, is something like National Cycle the only option. Anyone know how well the look/fit??? Any other suggestions?

3. BAGS ... well, we'd honestly LOVE a set of system cases (Krauser or Hepco & Becker.. like I have on my Guzzi), but I'm not sure if they still make cases that will fit. Anyone have this answer or can point us in the right direction? If we buy used, what other bikes could share (donate) their mounting brackets??? If we can't find anything, does anyone here have experience with some soft throw-overs that work well and don't look too horrible???

4. LASTLY... crash bars. It's her first bike, I don't see any reason to let the poor virgin valve covers do all the work. Anyone have recommendations for sources? Again, what bikes share the same guards/could donate???

OK, I realize that's a lot of questions, but I'll be happy to reciprocate if anyone has questions about boats/boat motors (what I currently do for a living), cars/trucks (what I used to do for a living), Harleys (where I've spend WAY too much of my time over the years) or Guzzis (where I'm currently wasting... uhh, lavishing my times).

Thanks in advance.

Kev (& Jenn)

As far as the odometer goes, (or doesn't), I had the speedo/odo and tach rebuilt/upgraded by Palo Alto Speedometer. They advertise in the MOA and RA mags, or check the web. For the entire job, the charge was a lot less than what you were quoted for OEM. They did a very nice job, the cluster looked almost new. This was for my '76 R90/6.

For bags and bars, check out Bob's or Blue Moon, or the IBMWR classifieds. The first two have lots of stuff. There are probably a couple others out there with whom I'm not familiar.

For the windscreen, just look at what other folks have and see what works for them. Good luck on the hunt.

manic mechanic said:
As far as the odometer goes, (or doesn't), I had the speedo/odo and tach rebuilt/upgraded by Palo Alto Speedometer. They advertise in the MOA and RA mags, or check the web. For the entire job, the charge was a lot less than what you were quoted for OEM. They did a very nice job, the cluster looked almost new. This was for my '76 R90/6.

First off, MM, THANKS FOR THE REPLY!!!!

Yup, Palo Alto... that's who was previously recommended. I think I'll go that route... BTW, do you remember what the turn around time was???

For bags and bars, check out Bob's or Blue Moon, or the IBMWR classifieds. The first two have lots of stuff. There are probably a couple others out there with whom I'm not familiar.

Well, checked all 3 of those places out before posting here (heck, did a day's worth of internet searches)... Bob's lists HB bags AND receivers, but SPECIFICALLY excludes the R65 and R80 (G/S I think?). I tried to call yesterday, but they were having an open house and weren't picking up the phone. I guess I'll try them back. And as for the IBMWR market place, the problem is not knowing what other donor's are compatible makes me reluctant to purchase something.

Anyone have crossover info??? I get the impression the R65 was the same from 1979-85... other than that I don't know what other frames would be similar/same???

Thanks again...

Kev

Well, here's an update.

I'd emailed Blue Moon and they got back to me saying that the bag mounts for HB bags are currently on back order, but they did NOT use the word OBSOLETE... so I'm optimistic.

Dennis Kirk had crash bars for only $90 or 1/2 the BMW OE part cost (and the same amount people are asking for used, so I bought a set from DK).

National Cycle has a deflector screen that doesn't look TOO bad. I'll report back when the one we ordered comes in and say how it fits and looks (though the last is obviously subjective).

Lastly, we found some really interesting soft bags that we might go with instead of the HBs... just because I'm having a problem wrapping my head around spending $550 on bags for a $1600 bike.

What do you guys think of these??? They've got a US distributor, I'm waiting for a US price quote but I expect it to be less than $200 (since the UK people would ship it overseas directly for that).

http://www.baglux.co.uk/saddlebags.asp

Any more thoughts????

Kev

Have you looked at RKA luggage?

Hard bags have a major effect on resale, so bear that in mind when you make your decision. They also offer superior conveninece, including lockability when you're on tour.

If you're on a lengthy trip with variable weather, bag covers are a huge pain in the neck.

KBasa said:
Have you looked at RKA luggage?

Hard bags have a major effect on resale, so bear that in mind when you make your decision. They also offer superior conveninece, including lockability when you're on tour.

If you're on a lengthy trip with variable weather, bag covers are a huge pain in the neck.

RKA, I met those guys at a bike show some years ago they were nice. I did actually think to look, but didn't find anything but tank bags and rear seat bags. Perhaps I had the wrong website? Can you point me in the right direction as my Yahoo and Google searches didn't do the trick then??

You're right about hard bags. They're a major reason why I've always loved BMWs (and the Goose I'm currently riding, as I've got 40L Hepco&Becker bags on it!).

The soft luggage I showed above MIGHT actually be reasonably waterproof. I used to have a set of Honda bags that were nylon covered with plastic stiffeners on the inside or something, that were long-distance, COMPLETELY dry in monsoon type conditions!

I guess it boils down to whether or not the hard bag mounts are really obsolete or just on back order. I can wait for back order!

Kev

Dave,

Thanks for the link. But even 25% off those prices aren't motivating, IF I can get those bagster/baglux panniers for even close to $180! ... the superior shape, water proof flaps, and retro-reflective material on the Bagster product are all to my liking.

Though, I'd still PREFER hard bags... so we'll see what Jenn wants!

Kev

Back