• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gps?

tgf429

Plasterman
Any good, user friendly GPS systems out there that will mount easily to R1150RT for under $350?

Tom

Garmin

Check the net, if I remember right Garmin has a site where they sell refurbished units with a one year warranty. Check it out

:dance

I got a refurb'd Streetpilot III Deluxe on ebay for $210. Included were all the cables, adapters, and software. As a refurb'd unit it had new equipment warranty, and was eligible for free upgrades to the latest maps.

You can still get a standard Quest w/ motorcycle mount from www.gpscity.com for $399.00. The powered motorcycle cradle from Garmin is around $72.00 so if that is in fact a powered mount it's not a bad deal. I purchased a Quest from Costco about 9 months ago for $299.00 but I have not seen that offered in awhile.

I have a Street Pilot III, and find it is really tedious to plan routes. I don't use it for much more than a glorified speedometer. Would go with a more recent version that will transfer routes from the PC.

Here's another pic of my GPS.
I like the Garmin Quest quite a bit.

I used the included car mount that is a suction cup mount. Included is a plastic disk with sticky tape on one side for mounting on the dash. I just trimmed the disk a little so it would fit under the handlebars, stuck it to my bike, and then stuck the suction cup to it. As for the power, yes it has a speaker on the "cigarette" lighter plug. I just ran the cable under the tank and am plugging it into a BMW "accessory plug adaptor" that I have plugger into the bike. I actually have a "Y" connector under my tank to plug in the GPS and my XM radio unit. It all tucks nicely next to my battery
So far so good. It's worked well so far, but I haven't been in any hard rain, yet. I don't really see a problem though since my battery doesn't really get wet.

Back