• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

The Tutu Rule

Visian

look out!!!
Years ago I watched a very good friend present a seminar on public relations strategy. She was speaking on the subject of writing Press Releases, and she walked out on stage with a child's ballet Tutu in her hand. Holding it up, she announced to the audience the Tutu rule: two pages is too long!

What a great mnemonic!

So, Press Release... Forum Moderation Policy... the Tutu rule seems to apply.

A number of folks have indicated an interest in the contents for a policy on the use and moderation of our forum.

So, I encourage you to comment here. However, keep in mind the Tutu rule: if your entire policy takes more than a page... well, a page and a half at most... then it's too long, and no doubt overbearing. (that would be a page of 8.5" x 11" paper with 1.5-2 linespaced text.)

The policywriting is in process... now's the time to have a say.

Ian

During WWII Winston Churchill demanded that all memos sent to him be no longer than one page.

One page for the moderation policy is an admirable goal. The rest of the administrative necessity may be put in exhibits and appendices.

And most of what he wrote, not only his books but his speeches, were more than a single page.

well... we're not talking world war II here... although sometimes i wonder. ;)

the main goal is to get a brief, friendly english language policy for use and moderation of our forum.

and... member contributions welcomed. :D

ian

So can I go with my four rules in life then?

1. I am not prejudice, I hate everyone equally
  2. If you are not sleeping with me, I do not care who you are sleeping with
  3. Do not see anyone you work with, without their pants on
  4. When in doubt, be polite and give people the benefit of the doubt

These are pretty much my version of the rules to live by, they are humorous (to me at least) versions of some common sense thing

Moderation

In deference to the Tutu Rule;
Moderators Characteristics: Fair, Mature, Sense of humor, No personal agenda, Not looking for a stepping stone to something else at MOA, Able to discern sarcasm and play from personal invective, Introspective, Excellent people skills, Genuine vs. disingenuous manner, Independent thinkers versus politically motivated "finger in the wind " pols, Able to check own verbosity
Term of moderation: One year in, one out, before reapplication.
Selection: Invite members to volunteer and create a list. Poobahs of forum get first crack at list, from then on it's by the numbers. Expand the number of moderators per category to odd number i.e. 3.
Banning: Not a unilateral decision regardless of your level of self importance. Due process of private and personal warnings and probation unless intolerable behavior as determined by common sense rule. Records of PMs sent to Poobahs of Forum if banning based upon these interactions. Decision to ban is a function of discussion among 3 mods plus oversight by Poobah. Tied decisions go to member.

That's all for now.

Breeze

And it wouldn't hurt it candidate was a natty dresser! :laugh

SupermanLogo.jpg

2. Remember that we're not curing cancer, or saving or killing puppies

1. A moderator must have the name 'Moderator' underneath his/her avatar.

Sephen-

I disagree with this one a little. Cause one of the challenges is letting the moderators still enjoy the fun of the forum without always being "on duty" What I have been doing is when I am posting an "official" comment I sign it as

-=Brad
Bradford Benn
Forum Moderation Team

So that way I can still have fun and make posts without speaking as an official by default.

Sephen-

I disagree with this one a little. Cause one of the challenges is letting the moderators still enjoy the fun of the forum without always being "on duty" What I have been doing is when I am posting an "official" comment I sign it as

So that way I can still have fun and make posts without speaking as an official by default.

After watching the documentary 'This Film is Not Yet Rated' last night, I don't think moderators should be anonymous.

The moderators aren't anonymous. To be anonymous, their identity would need to be hidden.

At the bottom of any forum home page is a list of moderators for that forum.

You can also click on the "forum leaders" link at the bottom of the main forum home page (not very obvious, I know). This page lists moderators at the top, administrators , and supermoderators. A moderator is just that, someone who is assigned to moderate a specific forum or forums. A supermoderator is a moderator with a little more power on the backend. An administrator is someone that can see some of the backend - some are in this group, like me, to be able to help people with login issues, maintenance, etc. A few are there so that they can take part in conversations in how we handle login issues, moderation policy, etc. Some of these reflect when this forum was founded and was built by board members and a few key volunteers.

What that page will tell you:
---------
BradfordBenn - moderator/supermoderator: Gear, How do I....., Rally Forum, Ride Reports, Web Tea

BubbaZanetti - moderator: Campfire, Chartered Clubs & Local Events, G & F Bikes, Oilheads, Rally Forum

DATA - moderator: K-bikes

k12koop - moderator/administrator: Chartered Clubs & Local Events, Presidential Palace

phactory - moderator: Vintage

robnye - moderator/administrator: Election 200

username - moderator: Airheads, Campfire, How do I....., Rally Chairs

Visian - moderator/administrator (aka Forum Liason): Ambassadors, Clubhouse, Doghouse, Moderator Forum, Online Central

ghanlin - administrator. He's the office IT guy.
Greg Feeler - administrator
KBasa - administrator
knary - administrator and all around swell guy
moaoffice - administrator user for the MOA office
MrsKbasa - administrator
Ted - administrator and IBMWR vet
vincewinkel - administrator and media yoda

How about rules in writing for the moderators????????
I got put in the Dog House "which I wear as a badge of honor",, But I'm not sure why, don't really think I care much as to why either...
But the way you moderators let the BS flow last year with the Sandy leaving Vince coming in thread and how the conspiracy to over throw Sandy went on forever with you moderators picking sides as bad as the common folk were....
Anyway I was out of line on my post about the financial stuff I read it totally wrong........
Just try as moderators to type on here like you would talk sitting across the table having a sarsaparilla:heart ............Pete

How about rules in writing for the moderators????????

that's what's gonna happen. the idea of this thread is to collect your thoughts and mesh them with ours to create a use policy that members are comfortable with.

Just try as moderators to type on here like you would talk sitting across the table having a sarsaparilla:heart ............Pete

well, i think that they do. have you any examples to the contrary? if so, please let us know.

ian

I admin and mod another site that gets a great deal of traffic and discussion. So, let me throw a few things out here...

• Trust your mods... if you can't, they shouldn't be a mod.
  • Do you really need a moderator policy? I've found that by becoming a mod these folks have already shown a common sense approach and dedication to the site.
  • A moderator really use a separate account. This allows a mod to get tough if need be and not affect their personal persona.
  • You will always have people out there that want a policy for just about everything. It really isn't necessary and will simply tie the mods hands if and when they need to come up with a creative solution with a user.

• You will always have people out there that want a policy for just about everything.

this is a very good point... the objective here isn't to define everything you can't do, it's to communicate what the group sees as acceptable behavior for the purpose of helping everyone understand what the norms are.

ian

Back