• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2004 R1150RT Longevity

Bill Lumberg
Having recently passed 40K (and having survived 6 weeks of diagnosing a phantom electrical problem that turned out to be wires separating at the very base of the ignition switch), I have settled back into roughly 500 miles per week. What sort of longevity, mileage wise, should I expect from this model? I'd like to run it up to 100K, but won't hesitate to switch to a newer and/or lower mileage model if I start leaving a trail of parts.

My '04 R1150RT-P has 95K on it, much of which was not-gentle California Highway Partol use. Until I took her apart last month to do a "mid-life refresh," she was doing daily commuting duty in DC just fine.

My '04 R1150RT-P has 95K on it, much of which was not-gentle California Highway Partol use. Until I took her apart last month to do a "mid-life refresh," she was doing daily commuting duty in DC just fine.

My RT was a CHP bike till about 54K and I changed my clutch this summer with 110K and now my FD has gone belly up (well thats what I think). I ride mine daily to commute and it doesn't burn oil or leak. Fires up first try, everything works. Taken me all over the country.

I'm thinking your bike is a baby with only 40K on it. :thumb

Figuring high mileage on these bikes is tough. Voni only has 365,00+ miles on her RS, so we really don't know yet if they can handle hi miles.
however, i'm thinking that your RT with 40K miles can probably manage a few more before you put it out to pasture.

It's relative. A bike with a master mechanic attached, but retaining proportionately few original parts isn't what everyone has in mind, though it's undeniably cool. But a bike that never needs service isn't realistic. Somewhere in the middle is nice.

What exactly is a "mid life refresh"? On another note I suspect all BMWs' will go 300,00 miles with enough money thrown after them.

Or all motorcycle's, for that matter. The key is to get there without testing Theseus' paradox.

What exactly is a "mid life refresh"? On another note I suspect all BMWs' will go 300,00 miles with enough money thrown after them.

I think you understand the cost of ownership and the value of BMW quality so I don't really follow what you are really asking.

Sure, you could blow a clutch in the next 10,000 miles, or not for another 90,000 miles. Same with a final drive. Same with a headlight.
Ride your present bike until repair costs get prohibitive and then go buy a new RT and don't obsess.

Or, just go buy that Harley you're drooling over. There'll be plenty of takers for your 40,000 mile 1150RT

I have yet to encounter a drool-worthy HD, though there are some nice ones. I'm addicted to the wind protection and quiet of my RTP, and conversely to the windy noise of riding my airhead.

My 94 RS only has 170,000 miles on it, being rock-reliable, those miles were made with me as the primary wrench. (a self taught "mechanic"). My steady ride has been in the dealership only twice in the past 18 years.

That said I have done many maintenance updates, some corrections (like the ignition switch wiring), but I am also still riding on a majority of the original parts.

Based on what I have seen from other high miles Oilheads, 100,000 is a VERY easy mileage point to achieve. A bike with 40,000 miles is barely warmed up.

My 94 RS only has 170,000 miles on it, being rock-reliable, those miles were made with me as the primary wrench. (a self taught "mechanic"). My steady ride has been in the dealership only twice in the past 18 years.

That said I have done many maintenance updates, some corrections (like the ignition switch wiring), but I am also still riding on a majority of the original parts.

Based on what I have seen from other high miles Oilheads, 100,000 is a VERY easy mileage point to achieve. A bike with 40,000 miles is barely warmed up.

+1.

mine is still a youngun at 95,000 miles, but still has most of its original parts (not counting maintenance items like alternator belts, filters, shocks, brake lines, brake pads, throttle cables, pivot bearings, etc). The only non-maintenance repair i've had on it was the trans input shaft shat the bed at 72K. and that is the only work on the bike that I have not done myself.

Had to Google it to

My 95 RS has 130k

Theseus’ Ship
Theseus is remembered in Greek mythology as the slayer of the Minotaur. For years, the Athenians had been sending sacrifices to be given to the Minotaur, a half-man, half-bull beast who inhabited the labyrinth of Knossos. One year, Theseus braved the labyrinth, and killed the Minotaur.

The ship in which he returned was long preserved. As parts of the ship needed repair, it was rebuilt plank by plank. Suppose that, eventually, every plank was replaced; would it still have been the same ship? A strong case can be made for saying that it would have been: When the first plank was replaced, the ship would still have been Theseus’ ship. When the second was replaced, the ship would still have been Theseus’ ship. Changing a single plank can never turn one ship into another. Even when every plank had been replaced, then, and no part of the original ship remained, it would still have been Theseus’ ship.

Suppose, though, that each of the planks removed from Theseus’ ship was restored, and that these planks were then recombined to once again form a ship. Would this have been Theseus’ ship? Again, a strong case can be made for saying that it would have been: this ship would have had precisely the same parts as Theseus’ ship, arranged in precisely the same way.

If this happened, then, then it would seem that Theseus had returned from Knossos in two ships. First, there would have been Theseus’ ship that has had each of its parts replaced one by one. Second, there would have been Theseus’ ship that had been dismantled, restored, and then reassembled. Each of them would have been Theseus’ ship.

Had to Google it to

My 95 RS has 130k

TheseusÔÇÖ Ship
Theseus is remembered in Greek mythology as the slayer of the Minotaur. For years, the Athenians had been sending sacrifices to be given to the Minotaur, a half-man, half-bull beast who inhabited the labyrinth of Knossos. One year, Theseus braved the labyrinth, and killed the Minotaur.

The ship in which he returned was long preserved. As parts of the ship needed repair, it was rebuilt plank by plank. Suppose that, eventually, every plank was replaced; would it still have been the same ship? A strong case can be made for saying that it would have been: When the first plank was replaced, the ship would still have been TheseusÔÇÖ ship. When the second was replaced, the ship would still have been TheseusÔÇÖ ship. Changing a single plank can never turn one ship into another. Even when every plank had been replaced, then, and no part of the original ship remained, it would still have been TheseusÔÇÖ ship.

Suppose, though, that each of the planks removed from TheseusÔÇÖ ship was restored, and that these planks were then recombined to once again form a ship. Would this have been TheseusÔÇÖ ship? Again, a strong case can be made for saying that it would have been: this ship would have had precisely the same parts as TheseusÔÇÖ ship, arranged in precisely the same way.

If this happened, then, then it would seem that Theseus had returned from Knossos in two ships. First, there would have been TheseusÔÇÖ ship that has had each of its parts replaced one by one. Second, there would have been TheseusÔÇÖ ship that had been dismantled, restored, and then reassembled. Each of them would have been TheseusÔÇÖ ship.

In the context of a motorcycle if every part has been replaced and the old ones kept in a hermetically sealed mayonnaise jar:laugh (thanks Carnac) it would be a separate bike.

I had time to think about this. It would be TheseusÔÇÖ Ship until he sold it. Kinda like the question Which came first the chicken or the egg... Silly the rooster did. hehe

Type of riding and riding style can also effect reliability and longevity. My job has me driving a lot of miles in my car and I routinely keep them until 350K. Being all highway miles is easier on an engine and transmission compared to a vehicle that is used on short commutes and is constantly run outside of the operating temperature. I do believe that both in the motorcycle world and the car world certain brands are more reliable than others: Toyota, Honda, BMW, etc. I don't know if this applies to ships.

Knowing their potential longevity, that's why I bought my 1999 R1100RT in December 2010, with only 12K miles on it. I figured that is practically brand new. In two years, I've enjoyed it up to 21130 miles.

The best part is it has a scratch in the paint near the windshield. Why is that good? Because I don't have to worry about it getting scratched now. Nobody cares about the second scratch!

The bike has been fun, and getting better all the time.

R1150RT Reliability

I have a chance to buy a nice R1150RT, but am scared to death when I read about $3000 ABS repairs and $2600 transmission input shaft/clutch hub failure repairs, etc. Some of the ABS failures have reportedly resulted in some nasty crashes. Should I be apprehensive of a low mileage, well maintained bike with no apparent problems at the moment?:scratch

I have a chance to buy a nice R1150RT, but am scared to death when I read about $3000 ABS repairs and $2600 transmission input shaft/clutch hub failure repairs, etc. Some of the ABS failures have reportedly resulted in some nasty crashes. Should I be apprehensive of a low mileage, well maintained bike with no apparent problems at the moment?:scratch

No

Back