• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hwy 50 Nevada

burnszilla

America's Loneliest Highway. Who's been on it and how fast can you go? Are there lots of police out there? Expected temperatures?
I know the posted speed limit is not 80mph like interstate 80 but off the beaten track is better. I'm thinking of taking it across Nevada to get to the Rally.

I have ridden it three times. Twice I did not see a cop, the third time it was a convention. Once you climb up into the hills the temperature should be fine till you come down on the Utah side, which will be hot. Watch for Morman crickets. If they are migrating the roads are very slimy. I hit them once in season and the roads were terrible for three or four miles.

Yes

Two lane worn out black top. Speed is what ever you want to do up to and including dim bulb odo readings.

The cops use oncoming. In the middle of nowhere, without cars around, I usually dialed up 90+. Take advantage of gas stops when you find them, even with a GS.

I love that road.

2003, on the way to WV, in the middle of an SS1K.
393625_SiYXe-L-2.jpg

I take US-50 several time a year and I think its the best way to cross Nevada.
I-80 Reno to Fernley. Highway Patrol, yes.
US-50 Fernley to Fallon. Highway patrol, yes.
After Fallon you should take it easy for 10 miles or so.
The speed limit is 70mph and you are unlikely to be bothered under 80.
When you get 10-15 miles from a town slow down to the speed limit.
Don't speed through the towns, the speed limits are well marked.

From the looks of it you were just coming in to Eureka.
You should know better speeding that close to town.:violin

while not technically a ride report, it's ride report planning so i'm moving this over to ride reports.

thanks,

lee

Back in the day

When I had the Yamaha XV920RH (EuroVirago) I was running a steady 90 and an oncoming car turned out to be a cop. I will always remember, as we passed, his downward pointed finger through his windshield requesting I slow down.

Apparently 90 was not worth his turning around.

This was about 15 years ago, so YMMV

My brother just came back from visiting some NP's in Utah via Hwy 50.

You don't want to need service out there. The pavement isn't good enough to go really fast IMHO

Enjoy your trip.

Attachments

• Hwy 50_a.jpg
    Hwy 50_a.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 155
How much did that photo cost you?

$50.

Got clocked at 92 in a 55, about a half mile after the speed limit dropped. I was rolling off and saw the sign for the town and got zapped right there.

I got written for 80 in a 70 with encouragement to ride slower. :hide

US 50, somewhere in Nevada, June 2003.

Before the day was over we rode through rain, hail, sleet and snow.

One of the Great Rides !!!

Attachments

• hwy 50 Nev.jpg
    hwy 50 Nev.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 141
First and only ticket on a bike was on Hwy 50. Notice it's not your typical squad car.
Roads like this actually make you the most vulnerable even with radar detection since you're typically flying and all you see is some lonely pick-up truck heading the other way.

The cops throw on the radar at the last second so it comes on with a blast and your nailed. I was westbound doing 90+ and he was east bound. He threw all the lights on and did a U-turn to pull me over. What you can't see in this shot is every orifice on the truck is strobing lights including inside the grill. I ended up with a "warning" to be mailed to the state of Nevada for $65. I'm taking the picture across the street since we were just hanging out waiting for him to finish writing the ticket. Not a car passed the whole time.

There is one interesting aspect about this road worth noting: During the summer months they have whats know as Mormon crickets in this area. These black crickets travel across the desert in a huge black mass eating everything in sight including other crickets that get injured. Why is this an issue? Because they cross the roads in such a huge mass, they get squished by cars creating running blood in the road. Cars slip on the stuff causing wrecks so consequently you will see temporary road signs waning of "Poor traction next 10 miles". Much worse if you're on two wheels. If you see those signs, it because of the crickets. Also the amount of dead crickets is so great it stinks to high heaven like rotting road kill . Just tickets and crickets on that road. From memory, the crickets were near the town of Austin, NV .

web.jpg

:thumb
It's a GREAT road. As others have said, plan your fuel stops, enjoy the big spaces, and slow down near the towns.

Add me to the list of those who have been ticketed.

Last year comming home from Laguna Seca, I got caught outside of Austin. I think I was even outside the 10 miles others have suggested to slow down.
Then again, I was doing 100.:stick

Temps.
That was my first big ride in my new textile gear, much cooler than leather. I never felt really hot. Did run into some rain outside of Austin as well.

Don't forget the shoes

This is one of the best roads in Nevada, if you like........nothing. I give it :thumb :thumb It's part of the old pony express route, every town, I mean "both" towns along this route are worth stopping at...................

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/932

In addition to shoes, I saw a deer leg, bra, purse, etc.

Really useful thread. US50 is a route I was considering also. Are you riding with a group, Stephen? Or would you like company for all- or part-of the trip? My departure date is flexible and I can either camp or motel it.
I met you and your wife at the bike show last Fall when you were staffing the MOA booth (I certainly don't expect you to place me on that info). Will probably be at the '49er Rally. PM me if you want to talk.

Nevada US 50

Burnszilla, been across 50 a couple of times in a "cage".
We pulled into Ely late and every motel/hotel in the town was full so we fueled up and pressed on. The all nighter ended in western Utah at about 0430 after hitting about 6 rabbits and narrowly missing three different groups of deer.
I was doing about 70 -80 and caught sight of a group of deer just off to the left about to cross the road. We passed before they could cross. 5 miles later spotted a group (of deer) on the right that had just crossed in front of us. The third group was further off to the right side after crossing the road. After seeing the third group it was painfully clear to me that it was pure CHANCE / LUCK that we passed without hitting any of them. The rabbits crossing the road were another story. Just couldn't see them or avoid them so went "thump thump" a number of times. In a truck that weighs in at #7600 they were not an issue. Motorcycle ??? Anyway, I got used to the thump thump, but didn't like it one bit. Spent about $5 the next morning at a local car wash to clean off the dead rabbit remains from the underside of the vehicle as it was already beginning to smell bad.
My advise would be to do it in daylight or have your very best road lights on full bright. Clearly I was overdriving my cage headlights and was just lucky to get through the night unscathed.
Second time we made hotel reservations in advance and slept all night. Much less stressful and highly recommended.
Cheers
Dave, Dot & Freckles Doggie

A wonderful road.....

I've ridden it many times and although there are some long very straight sections, the views are so outstanding, it doesn't matter.

One traverses several mountain ranges, all with great names...Desatoya, Toyabe, Toquima, White Pine, Clan Alpine....while travelling across Nevada

Can't offer much more than the previous posters except this....there is a loop I often take, Hwy 722. It sorta does an end around the Desatoya's and is very quiet and scenic. It loops the mountains and meets Hwy 50 again just before Austin. (assuming, of course, you're travelling east)

Have fun

14488_jGuaz-M-2.jpg

Back