• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1983 R100S Last Edition.

More or less, although it has had some obvious additions: San Jose top triple clamp, Progressive (I think) damping adjustable rear shocks, repainted/powdercoated wheels, steel braided brake lines, new spark plug leads, and Napolean bar end mirrors... I wouldn't be surprised if it has aftermarket fork springs as well. Otherwise, it looks pretty clean. It even still has the emissions plumbing.

...and I thought the official last edition bike was a CS/S and had the fairing stock???This here is a retrofit.

Was '83 a last edition? I don't think it was.

83 was the 60th Anniv Edition.
On the 1984 Last Edition I believe the pin stripes were red and blue. In the ebay pics the pin stripes look black.

Hmmm...I don't remember a 60th anniversary. Not saying they didn't but it escapes me.

So this not about a last edition. Miss named by the seller? :dunno

Hmmm...I don't remember a 60th anniversary. Not saying they didn't but it escapes me.

I think the only difference between the 60th Anniv. and Last Edition was the color of the pin stripes and one had a Last Edition decal on the battery cover and one had 60th Anniversary on the battery cover.
Both years were white bikes.

Last edited:
The bike's VIN shows it as a 12/83 build bike, thus making it an '84. So, all things considered, he bike might very well be a Last Edition...although the pinstripes are all black.

I found my flyer for the 740 bikes that were Last Editions. It shows the models R100, R100CS, R100S, R100RS, and R100RT. For the R100CS, it says that it is designated as R100S in California and that models for California will vary slightly in color scheme. The flyer also states that the emblems on each side of the bike (ie, the side covers) read "Last Edition". The sole picture in the flyer is of an R100RS and clearly shows colored pinstriping and the lettering for "Last Edition" in red font.

I wonder about the pedigree of the ebay bike.

Somehow, I think Lee is correct with the pin-stripe colors. I have a picture somewhere of a last edition in the AMA museum. I have to dig it out.

It is exactly what the ad says... an R100 with an S fairing. Not an R100S or R100CS.

IMO it's better, with the drum brake. But if you're looking for an original LE R100CS, this ain't it.

Given that 1984 wasn't exactly the end of the airheads, I wonder how much value is involved in the "Last Edition" designation? I don't see the LE versions being especially collectable.

It was only supposed to be the end of the R100 models, and is often jokingly referred to as the "First Last Edition" while the Classic models from 1995 were the Second Last Edition. The FLE bikes came with some LE paraphernalia, and a bike with that stuff forms a special and, I would say, collectible set. Of course most LE bikes sold don't come with the extras and IMO would be less special. Owners buying the FLE bikes as investments were not happy to see the R100 come back in '88.

Given that 1984 wasn't exactly the end of the airheads, I wonder how much value is involved in the "Last Edition" designation? I don't see the LE versions being especially collectable.

And since an '83 is not a "last edition", collectability value here is zero. Ridability and cosmetics alone should dictate price.

The collectability is very high for these bikes... if you have the certificate that came with the bike... and the System Helmet and letter that BMW gave to owners in 1988 when they reintroduced the R100 models.

Thanks for all the replies. The first thing I noticed was the triple tree and the powder coated wheels.I'm really not looking for anything collectable.I just thought it was a nice clean S set up.I think the price is too high for what it is though.On the other hand Max BMW in Troy,NY has a very nice 1978 R100S in smoke red.Beautiful bike,if I only had an extra $10,000 I would own that one.

That '84 is a nice bike. Many people prefer the drum brake; anyone wanting an S (and not caring if it's not a 'real' S) would be happy with it. The powder coated wheels don't appeal to me but it's not a big deal.

1983 R100 Last Edition

Last summer I bought a 1983 R100. It is white with black pinstripes. It has " R100 Last Edition" on the sideplates. It was originally sold by a dealer in San Diego. The VIN is WB1043506D6186013.

This is my first BMW. The seller said, "and, it's a "last edition!" I said, "What's that?" Indicating that I didn't know, and didn't care, and still don't. But, I thought I could add this fact to the conversation. There may be no 1983 Last Editions, but I have one. Maybe.

Love the airhead, though.

You have the same bike - made 17 bikes earlier - and both are considered '84 R100/T models. It's just that an S fairing was not added to yours later on.

Back