• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Typical Central Pennsylvania Weather

July in the valleys of central PA? .............. The rain is usually more tolerable than the humidity.

Speaking of the weather....

Since the weather has been bad, I have been told there are a lot of roads washed out and because of that there is a lot of road construction going on near where the rally is being held.

I was told that I should not plan to attend the rally because of what the weather has brought and because of the road construction and it will be bad......

I'm just wondering if this is true?

I know there are several different ways I can ride to get to the rally... closest route or farthest route and no matter which direction I would be going has all been getting the bad storms and towns been getting wiped out from the bad tornadoes...

That's a bunch of hooey. Thursday's storm was the worst one I've seen in my 18 years of living here. It's not typical. I rode this afternoon and while people are still dealing with downed trees, no roads were closed. And there is always road construction in the summer in Pennsylvania because it can't be done in the winter.

Thanks. Could the road construction be as bad as what I am possibly being led to believe?

Thanks. Could the road construction be as bad as what I am possibly being led to believe?

NO, like RB said, usual stuff, if there is construction on one road just take another, they are plentiful in this part of the country.

And RB, I have to laugh, Being from NY I come to PA for the smooth roads, I90 in NY is rougher than your back 2 lanes.

Keep in mind, and this goes primarily to all folks heading North (which will be most), that there are only two seasons up this way; Winter and Construction.

Be wary of road conditions if you are not familiar with riding uneven pavement especially back roads. Surface conditions can change quickly.

Just a reminder to be careful. Fortunately, PA seems to do a decent job of maintaining their roads.

Also, watch the speed in the construction zones on the highways and interstates as the fines are doubled when the crews are working.

Oh and for those heading through Ohio, here's what to watch out for --

images

images

Safe travels.

NO, like RB said, usual stuff, if there is construction on one road just take another, they are plentiful in this part of the country.

And RB, I have to laugh, Being from NY I come to PA for the smooth roads, I90 in NY is rougher than your back 2 lanes.

I heard about the bad pot holes in NY although I have not seen them...

Thanks for the comments.

Motorwerks, thanks for the heads up... the LEO's are a reason why I don't like traveling through Ohio...

Thanks for the comments.

Motorwerks, thanks for the heads up... the LEO's are a reason why I don't like traveling through Ohio...

Ohio I think raised their speed limit.

Where to begin ?

In 2007 Pennsylvania embarked on a five year aggressive road repair venture. Mainly because "Fast Eddy" ( Gov ) Rendell wants to be US Sec of Transportation in 2012. So most residents complain about our roads and construction that was made worse by the stimulus. Now that we are near the end days most of the great roads are now wonderful, the best in my lifetime.

I live close to the rally site, about an hour drive, I can say all the great paved roads are open but there are a few that will require some pot hole repair that should be done soon. The worse stretch is getting off I 81 at McAdoo and traveling towards Tamaqua on 309. The other concern is RT 87 from Dushore to Tunkhannock that could use attention in spots but still a great road for two wheel travel. You may have to take a wider apex since the cracks follow the center line. Its still very smooth at speed.

There are a few dirt forest road closures thanks to small bridge damage dating back to a heavy rain and snow melt run off in February, these would have been sought after for GSing and making a extended dirt loop. I am re-scouting them in a month since forest work crews are out mending. They are passable by motorcycles but I don't think it will look good if there was an organized tour on these closed roads IMO especially someone experiencing carnage where one should not be. There is also erosion issues due to steep grades along the way..........great for rut training. These dirt roads in question are in the north mountain region north of Bloomsburg.

The other known road closure is for anyone planning a trip to north central part of the state, home of the PA Grand Canyon, SR 44 between SR 414 (just above Waterville, PA) and SR 664 ( Haneyville, PA) in Lycoming County will be closed from 06/01 - 08/23/2011 due to three bridges being replaced simultaneously. A detour will be in place.............but please note some times the detours are better than the storied roads; it was true about wonderful 895s bridge repair last summer just off the town of Picture Rocks on SR 220.

The storm damage on May 26th was spread over the whole east and north central Pennsylvania. The golf ball size hail was the first in my life time and for my 87 year old neighbor. Even pea size hail is rare here and only associated with strong thunderstorms in high heat indexes of late summer. The recent large hail issue was from storms being 55,000 feet tall, which again is very rare........mainly because the mountains chop them up and feed them cooler air so they die. IMO, these problem storms stayed in the warmer valleys too long then hit the mountains at full strength.

The recent tornado outbreak were all EF 1s for short distances with one lasting 18 miles. There was no loss of life, a few roofs taken and house siding damage, and old trees most likely rotted or had insect damage that needed a push were damaged and a barn was knocked down. I wonder how much that one needed repair prior to impact. Most of the victims benefited by having wood for next winters home heating season.

Northeast Pennsylvania is having a record wet spring and so far we are 12 inches above normal rain fall as of last week. May was better than April so the trend is headed towards drier days ahead.

As far as rally riding I would take a GPS heading where the rally is and get lost, if traffic is ahead of you take a left or right. If there is that rare construction make a U turn and go another way I would bet there are 5-6 other ways. There should be very limited construction !

Law enforcement ? I would slowdown in Orangeville on 487 north of the rally site, and every time I have traveled 220, 87,42, 487 in Sullivan county I saw State Police, be extra careful in the 45 MPH zone in Eagles Mere. This is a resort area and the folks that come here each summer allow their children to ride bikes, walk dogs and jog along the roadway. If you see the summer cottages you will know they have power to get law enforcement engaged.

Natural Gas drilling ? North of Williamsport, Lycoming county and Towanda on RT 6 and Rt 187 are the increased truck traffic areas. I never had an issue with any of the truckers thus far. There was a rumor of natural gas drilling along SR 287 north of the rally site but nothing noted thus far, maybe I need to slow down ??

July weather in Pennsylvania can be monitored here, just map yourself around any storm. http://www.wnep.com/weather/wnep-interactive-radar,0,7651817.story

Enjoy coming here.

Ohio I think raised their speed limit.

Where to begin ?

In 2007 Pennsylvania embarked on a five year aggressive road repair venture. Mainly because "Fast Eddy" ( Gov ) Rendell wants to be US Sec of Transportation in 2012. So most residents complain about our roads and construction that was made worse by the stimulus. Now that we are near the end days most of the great roads are now wonderful, the best in my lifetime.

Thank you. By opening with a political diatribe, I was able to quickly determine he substance of your posting.

Thank you. By opening with a political diatribe, I was able to quickly determine he substance of your posting.

oh, i don't know... the lay of the land is always good to know.

there's a lot of good info in statdawg's brain... the problem is organizing it. :ha

I took Friday off, left DC early and spent most of the day knocking around backroads around the Rally site, mostly to the west, and had a great time. The roads were in great shape though I gave my new Camelbak a workout with the heat. As always in this part of the Country there are a lot of dead deer on the side of the roads so I made a point to be wary of them. I did pass through last summer and was really dismayed at the amount of stimulus-stimulated construction, especially on bridges, but noticed very little of it this time and what I did come across was pretty insignificant.

It is a great area of the Country for riding, especially if you like history and the way roads used to be built around and over things instead of just blasting and moving earth to go through. The Corn is looking good and after passing through a thick forest into open farmland the sweet, earthy smell is a real treat. Highlight of the trip was the long and sweeping Rt. 233 through the Michaux State Forest to the west of Gettysburg, what a great, relaxing road!

I did have a pretty intense late afternoon storm that literally blew me right off Rt. 15, fortunately and conveniently right next to an exit. I rode out the severe but as is typical for the mid-Atlantic, short lived storm under the awning at a coffee shop with a large coffee and a cigar surrounded by a bunch of Harley folks (and one cool Victory) heading south for Rolling Thunder.

Thank you. By opening with a political diatribe, I was able to quickly determine the substance of your posting.

The informational posting was long, your substance was a snip of it.

It is an ambitous construction plan and if you ask the State Police you will find that Gov Rendell enjoys fast roads as much as we do. I am was not discussing the surplus he was left with and what we have now...........nothing political just the facts.

oh, i don't know... the lay of the land is always good to know.

there's a lot of good info in statdawg's brain... the problem is organizing it. :ha

The organization and partnering was done way back in October, its getting the others to commit to the opportunities as they said they would.

The information so far was able to put the MOA in Bloomsburg and finally by a huge population base to support the MOA beyond the rally, it expanded the GS events, stretched our club reach into the community and offered a venue to Motorrrad. So someone was able to use the information for benefit and lets not forget all the volunteers getting it done among the fog of pre-rally. :thumb

My neighbor said " Knowing the lay of the land opens doors, but knowing people in the land opens the doors further."

Mod here.

Please take disagreements about Pennsylvania Governors off list.

Thank you.

Returning you to the topic which is:
Typical Central Pennsylvania Weather.

Voni

Mod here.

Please take disagreements about Pennsylvania Governors off list.

Thank you.

Returning you to the topic which is:
Typical Central Pennsylvania Weather.

Voni

Its starting to be hot and humid .........I think it may become summer. :thumb

Lots of bikes out today :usa

Yeah, 94 tomorrow and humid, not even summer yet. Wont be any worse than TN was 2 years ago, bring a battery powered fan for your tent and your evaporative cooling vest, should be fine.

PA has more roads per square mile than any other state (I think), so you can imagine that some will be in disrepair, as Statdog mentioned, many have been resurfaced, and over all, we are in pretty good shape.

Looking forward to seeing many of you there!

Back