• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2007 R1200R ABS module controller removal help

fletchdude

I need to pull the ABS module controller to have the motor brushes fixed. Any tips on how to remove this would be helpful. I'm sure if I get the tank off it will be apparent but BMW ceases to surprise me these days. I'm not sure what the best way to deal with the brake fluid lines would be as I don't want to strip any paint along the way. If there is an existing post on this I apologize.

I don't know that there's any magic but here a couple tool tips
1) Good fitting tubing wrenchs meant for brake fittings and similar are a good idea- too easy to round and damage fittings with open ends and other inappropriate tools.
2) Nipples in sufficient number to plug all open line ends. Keep dirt out and fluid drips off the bike. (Cover everything nearby when handling brake fluid is always a good idea- it does a good job at paint damage)

Easier to handle a fuel tank if its not topped off...

Thanks racer. Draining the 07 brakes looks pretty easy. Where do you get the nipples? Is this a common item at auto parts stores?

You can buy nipples at any auto parts place in packs. They look like the top of an eye dropper- which would probably also work fine if you had enough of them.

Thanks racer7, I'll pick up some nipples today!

As far as how to pull the unit, the factory shop CD has the best prep and removal/installation instructions with excellent pictures. For the 07 and up brakes it looks pretty simple. Remove seat, side panels and covers, tank and air snorkel. Drain the front and rear brake circuits. Disconnect and plug the four hydrastic lines, remove unit with bracket, pull bracket off and ship to MM for repair. Bleed brakes after re-installation. You'll have fresh fluid at the end of the job. The tips from the list and the above should get the job done. Biggest thing to remember is use care and rags to keep the brake fluid off paint and other components as its an excellent paint stripper. I'll let you know how this goes and post some other tips I got from PM's and lessons learned.

"I have a shop CD if you want to borrow it. Let me know. "

Thanks, I really appreciate it but I picked one up recently. I got the unit out am waiting for it to come back from Module Masters. I talked to Tyler on Monday and it had bad brushes and that part is fixed. He's waiting for helicoils to reattach the motor. I should get it back by the end of the week. Hopefully I'll have it installed in the bike this weekend. Interesting he mentioned he just received 7 BMW ABS modules recently.

Pulling the unit was not the hardest thing I've ever done but the unit is really buried in the bike. I told a friend its like they started with the ABS unit and built the bike around it. I took some pictures during the removal and I'll shoot a few more on the install and post some tips.

Back