• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Slow to restart?

JerryAttrick

When I start the GT shortly after turning it off, is sometimes does a slow crank (like a weak battery), but starts after about one turn of the engine. No hesitation at all when starting cold, even after two weeks parked.
Is this something to worry about, or normal behavior?

Mine does that once in awhile, too. Never actually failed to start though.
Gilly

I noticed the same thing with my RT - strong cranking when cold, but occasionally seeming weak when restarting a warm engine. My theory is that because the motor is warm, I'm getting a premature firing of a cylinder that fights against the starter and causes the hesitation.

That may have nothing to do with it, but it's my theory and I'm sticking to it until something better comes along. If I'm wrong I'm gone. :bolt

It is the warm engine and the weak battery BMW installs in the K. An Odyseey will cure slow cranking in a warm engine.

The warmer engine allows high compression at start.

I had that issue and got the battery tested, it failed and was replaced under warranty.

The voltage out put was correct but the load testing showed about 55%

Interestingly, my GT battery failed after being parked in the garage for only 3 weeks. I had to put it on the battery tender and it took about 36 hours to fully recharge. I'm going to get it down to the shop and have them test it, as I suspect its toast...

Last edited:
My orginal battery would take a charge with no issue so that was a little deceptive. But the load test was the actual confirmation of of weakness in the battery

Back