• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100rs Ohlins or not???

skotlyc

So on a whim the other day, I purchased what I thought to be an Ohlins shock for my BMW R1100rs off ebay for VERY cheap. So cheap, I was willing to take a risk, as I wasn't totally sure it was ohlins and the seller on ebay didn't know either. So my question for everyone is... Is this (the attached picture) an ohlins shock? I found what looks to be the exact same thing made by ohlins with stickers, as shown in the picture, but mine has no identifying marks proving it is or isn't ohlins.

Attachments

• SUA11334.jpg
    SUA11334.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 157
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 159
Yes, looks like an Ohlins, I haven't seen any Chinese knock offs that try to pass themselves off as Ohlins. Looks like it has some miles, if you plan on getting it serviced I can turn you on to a guy that does it real cheap.

It does need rebuilt; it shows signs of seal leakage. I called Ohlins and they want $130 for labor and about $70 for parts. I would be interested in your contact for rebuild if he's cheaper than that. I assume he does a good quality job with quality components?

The guy worked for Penske suspension, Just had my rear rebuilt, including complete seal head, new upper eyelet bushing , all seals and piston rings replaced for less than the Ohlins labor you quoted, and he get parts direct from Ohlins, so no parts quality issues.

Here is a link to his web site: http://www.smsuspensionsystems.com/

Looks just like the one on my 01 RS. Since it's going in for service, make sure the spring is correct for your average load. If it isn't, get the right spring.

Looks just like the one on my 01 RS. Since it's going in for service, make sure the spring is correct for your average load. If it isn't, get the right spring.

What he said too. If the sag can't be set for your weight and loads, then it is no better than a stock shock, e.g. it just holds the bike up.

Thanks Pffog, I noted the link and will be stopping by there.

I just made a spring compressor to remove the spring from my rear shock on my 12 R1200R.

David ;)

When I swapped the spring on my front Ohlins, I didn't need any compressor to remove or install it - just undo the threaded ring.

It had started leaking fluid, and my "local" (desert) rebuild shop neglected to check the spring before shipping the shock back to me... it had compressed a bit, so I had to it twice. Grrr...

The guy worked for Penske suspension, Just had my rear rebuilt, including complete seal head, new upper eyelet bushing , all seals and piston rings replaced for less than the Ohlins labor you quoted, and he get parts direct from Ohlins, so no parts quality issues.

Here is a link to his web site: http://www.smsuspensionsystems.com/

Sweet, Thanks for the suggestion!. I'll probably be giving him a call here in the next couple of weeks. What kind of turn around time does he have?

Sweet, Thanks for the suggestion!. I'll probably be giving him a call here in the next couple of weeks. What kind of turn around time does he have?

If he has parts probably a week or less. He had to order the upper bushing for mine and it was a couple weeks. He gets busier in the spring and summer with the racers, so now is a good time. He works a Day job, so evenings and weekends are probably the best time to contact him.

Back