• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2001 K1200RS Final Drive Spline Lube

weschmann

Kawa Afterthought
Looking for a link to information that will provide a guide to dismantling the final drive spline assembly from the transmission back, with the intention of lubricating the spline... I am experiencing some difficulty downshifting after coming to a stop if I forget to downshift to first before stopping. I have to work through some shenanigans with rocking the bike, or letting out the clutch just a bit to get the gears to change....I've looked for a YouTube link but not had much luck with finding anything on the K bike.... Is there a CD for this bike that would provide some direction? I like the challenge of wrenching myself on the bike, but an not necessarily an accomplished MC mechanic....

The best thing would be a combination of either the hard copy BMW shop manual or the CD, available from any of the on-line parts departments for the BMW dealers - Bob's, Chicago, A&S, etc. THEN, have a Clymers as well. This will give you the step by step. Although, by your description, I doubt it is the final drive. I is more likely inside the transmission. Problems with the final drive will more likely have different symptoms. This type of issue has been dealt with before here and there are other posts you might search for that deal with the symptoms and solutions to this type of problem, shift dogs/forks? something like that? Maybe one of the true mechanics will chime in.

PGlaves, thanks for the clarification.... I'll start looking at information on the clutch hub spline, as I believe that is what I found in a previous thread which talked about my shifting problems... I just didn't state it very well..... I would assume to get to the clutch hub spline, I would have to start with disassemble at the final drive spline and then work forwards on the bike...

Yes, you would have to remove the transmission to lube the clutch splines which means everything behind the tranny must move out of the way.

If like the 1200 LT you will also need some special tools to install the swing arm.

Roy

Back