• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Special Edition Bikes

jlevee

Geek
I know the "90 Years" Special Model is the R 1200 RT in matte black/ gold.
At 80 years there was the 'Model 80" a white / flat black R1150 Rockster. But what were the other special edition bikes that were produced over the years?

Wasn't there a R1100RT "Special Edition" also? Seem to remember it being a 2000. One of the previous AMA Presidents had one. (Rob Rasor??)
I also remember an all-white R100S (CS) Last Edition. The final 100 K1s built in 1993 were "K1 Ultimas". They were numbered and Dakar Yellow with black graphics. (not sold in the U.S.)

03-05 Boxer Cup Replikas

1995 Black & Chrome R100GS Dakar

Both types of HP2

30th Ann GSs

I now there was some kind of Special R100RS

The matte white & blue 06 1150 Adventures

I'm sure there are a billion more.

Rare, but not "special edition"

I always thought that the 1977 R75/7 was a special bike. It was only made one year,and I always considered it as one of the best Airheads. I had one with a Watsonian sidecar for a long time.

I have a 2000 r1100rt that has "SE" on the graphics. I think the only difference is that the side cases and top box are color matched to the bike.

2013 K1300S. 30th Annv. for the K bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQbc-Y7tthk

K1300S-30thSE-02-568x450.jpg

The R100CS, R100RS and R100RT were available in 1984 with the white paint/Last Edition graphics.

p.s. Remember how ticked-off the "Last Edition" owners were when the R100 came back to the US in 1988? A lot of unhappy folks feeling that their "collector" R100's "premium value" was whacked by the Mothership.

p.p.s. Note the white CS above is missing its white battery cover with the "Last Edition" sticker.

Last edited:
The R100CS, R100RS and R100RT were available in 1984 with the white paint/Last Edition graphics.

p.s. Remember how ticked-off the "Last Edition" owners were when the R100 came back to the US in 1988? A lot of unhappy folks feeling that their "collector" R100's "premium value" was whacked by the Mothership.

given that the nature of virtually all "SE"s from BMW is just a different paint scheme, and "limited release" numbers of (typically) around 200... those folks would have been happier if they just bought one to ride and call it good at that.

given that the nature of virtually all "SE"s from BMW is just a different paint scheme, and "limited release" numbers of (typically) around 200... those folks would have been happier if they just bought one to ride and call it good at that.
Yep -- I have one of the <500 R100M Mystics brought into the US in '94-'95. That means I have, well, a '94 R100R with hard-to-find tail, sidecover, seat and instrument cluster pieces.

I haven't structured my retirement around this "rare" (i.e., just another) airhead.

Last edited:
yeah, i've got one of those rare <200 production number 2001 R110S "light" models. I am SO sure it would be collectible... if only i had not ruined it by running the odo up to 95K miles. oh well... guess i wait for the snow to clear, and see what i can do about turning it over the 100K mark.

:ha

I was gonna mention that! I believe they did that when the K bikes failed to achieve the success in the market that BMW had anticipated...

The "Last Edition" Airheads were 1984s but in 1983 there was the "60th Anniversary" R100RT in pearl white with red and silver pinstripes.

So, given that the first BMW motorcycle appeared in 1923, years ending in 3 will likely show some sort of "anniversary" model.

Attachments

• Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 58

p.p.s. Note the white CS above is missing its white battery cover with the "Last Edition" sticker.

Didn't BMW NA offer the owners of the "First" "last Edition" bikes a BMW helmet in an attempt to appease them?

I also seem to recall the 88 1/2 K100RS with ABS (first ABS bike) also has an SE after the model along the edge of the fairing. I remember watching the wet skid pad demonstration at Daytona bike week when they had the standard RS outfitted with outriggers, pretty impressive.

nosure about the K100, but there were one or more K1100RS years with the SE designation. 1996 came in black/silver, and carried the SE label. As usual, just some graphics changes.

My '94 K1100LT was an SE model. The difference was color (a dark blue that otherwise wasn't available that year), lining for the rear trunk, and a different (nicer, IMHO) face for the speedo. There was a bit of text saying that this was bike n of m (forget the actual numbers) near the pin striping on the fairing.

I bought the SE because it was on the showroom floor and I liked the color.

Back