• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Official Thread of My Cockamamie Idea

B

brentde3

I had some wonderful breakthroughs on the bike today (I have a headlight! Sort of need one of those to drive across the continent), so, in celebration, here's some history.

I bought the bike from a guy just outside of Booneville, NY (awesome, right?). That should have been the first clue. The next two years were an exercise in caveat emptor.

I drove the bike the eighty miles home after re-installing the Luftmeister faring (had to have turn signals). Halfway there, the right carb started seeping gasoline onto my foot. Ten miles from home, she started surging and coughing and sputtering, and, just as I pulled into my driveway, she died.

Actually, no matter how many problems she's had, she's never left me stranded. So, the "well-taken care of Airhead" in the Craigslist ad (ha, ha), wound up needing a new starter, headlight relay, plugs, plug wires, fluids, filters (oil and air), seals, points, carb rebuilds etc. etc. etc. You guys know of all the trouble I speak.

The difference, for me anyway, is that I had never picked up a wrench before (in anger or otherwise). And, with the exception of the rear main seal/replacing transmission bearings/spline lube, I've done all the work myself.

So, there be some history. Now, if everything works, I need to start getting her ready for the trip. She came with Krausers, but I need a windshield (got rid of the Luftmeister), and new clocks.

I might go with the Acewell, found here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527749

Anybody have any experience with National Cycle windshields?

Back