• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Post a Picture of Your F-Twin

AZ-J

Riding where it's hot!
Come one and all and let's see if we can make this thread a sticky like the Thumpers have.

These are my rides parked in the garage, with about 2 feet of some boxed things between them cropped out.

Like the line in my signature says, each day's drive is a tough choice I love (except maybe during the daytime late June to mid-September). That's the HOT days, cool nights of living in an arid area, so I try to only ride at night then.

I'll post some side shots later but wanted to get this thread started.

Now it's your turn.:brad

I love this bike!:dance

Attachments

• Image4copy.jpg
    Image4copy.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 4,307
I rode an ST today at the BMW-MC/LV spring open house. Nice. I was funny though, one of my friends was complaining about the butt to footpeg ergos. Gave him cramps. I told him that MY ST (Triumph Sprint) was the same way, if I hadn't ridden it in a while, it would give me some kinda ju-ju in the hips, but not to worry your body will get used to it.

Well guess what, this thing gave ME cramps. I was rather amazed that the riding position was almost identical to my Triumph.

I hope BMW does very well with these bikes. They seem to be very nice.

I hope BMW does very well with these bikes. They seem to be very nice.

All I can say after owning it for 3 weeks, today, and putting 550 miles on it (that's 150 past break-in) is:

1. It is built like a BMW. All class, great engineering, everything in its place, and it all works well so far!
2. Goes like stink to an 8.5K rpm red-line, until my eyeballs hurt (and I wear a nice, light Shoei X-11 full face helmet), stops linear with upright dive-avoid ABS as fast or faster than it goes. (If you overdo the front brake, the suspension tightens; do it in the right range and it doesn't).
3. Handles with leg pushes (arms nearly superfluous) with low COG, light on its feet, side to side flick-ability, but stable in the wind, and going straight as an arrow referenced to a white highway line at 85+ through mountain passes.
4. Gets a solid 60+ mpg, I have filled its 5 gallon tank 2X since I own it (my third tankful was Friday night, so it still full). My car will pull 22 mpg riding the same stretches).

I love it. Have a rear seat cover, LED replacement taillight, and RKA tank bag and sport saddle bags on order for it, too. Should have all those things, and pics to go with by the end of the month (the RKA order ships 4/27/07).

I want saddlebags that go on AND COME OFF with no mounting hardware left. Week-wise, the tank bag alone will do.

Anyone want to buy a nice Chase Harper set of tank bag and saddlebags (the tank bag is magnetic) at a low price?:laugh

By the way your ST is nice-I almost bought one before my last bike, a Suzuki Bandit ABS edition. All three have the same riding position. I guess we like it, but I've never had leg cramps. I use my legs like the Pridmore's taught me to do 11 years ago in CLASS. It is much easier to do on this low COG bike. You can't believe what a low COG 400 lbs bike can do just with leg throws.

Oh, nice toys.

Thanks for the write-up.

1. Thanks
2. You are welcome.
3. What's your ride(s)?

Now if the thread can be found by other 800 owners posting pics too, I am told this thread will become a "Sticky".

Last edited:
60+ mpg ?!?!?! :jawdrop

Let's see 2 fills after one full tank, with one still in tank is less than 10 gallons, and the odometer is over 550. So if it's not exactly 60+ it's awful close, and both fills were just a tad over 3.2 gallons, so I'd say 60+ is a good approximation.

The damn thing only weighs 440 lbs full anyway. That about 50 or more less than the R12r or rs and about 100 or more less than the K models.

I'll let you know better after this week and a host of near red-line highway entries. Still it is 60+ so far, and the instant fuel mileage on the display shows it cruising mpg as 49-65 depending on uphill-downhill, and 4th-5th or 6th gear (there are times at 60-65 where 5th gear gets better gas mileage then 6th gear.

It's also fun to watch the display go to 199 mpg as I coast off a freeway ramp and show - - - when stopped at a red light.

Repedative Reply- (posted elsewhere)

I would venture to say it would be better as a "Sticky" if it was just a picture of your [bike] with a short comment.

No long ride reports.
No distracting cages.
No dialogue about how great it is.

Just a nice picture of someplace you took it.

But that's just me.

Russ

Oh yeah, what to call them ??? "Thump-Thumps" maybe, "Thumperettes" nyah, "ThumperX2" , "Really badass vertical twins" I just don't know...

:wave

Nice bike, I wish I had more money but I'll wait to see the GS model. :thumb

Last edited:
Next bike?

1. Thanks
2. You are welcome.
3. What's your ride(s)?

Y2K BMW R1200C and a '95 DUC 900SSCR

The F800S reminds me of the DUC, half fairing, lightweight and all. (see red bike in bkgnd)

Here's the rub ... wifey sez if you want another bike, you've gotta sell one. Not like I have enough time to ride 3 anyhow. Dilemma is which one? The other day pulling into the gargage I said to self ... damn the R1200C is gorgeous ... so I dunno. I take the DUC to a few track days each year but the F800S/ST would lend itself to that. Then again ... risking a new bike ...

Decisions decisions ... trying to hold out til 2008 B'day present. Gotta see what kinda riding I do this year.

Attachments

• Euro_2000.jpg
    Euro_2000.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 4,116
I would venture to say it would be better as a "Sticky" if it was just a picture of your [bike] with a short comment.

No long ride reports.
No distracting cages.
No dialogue about how great it is.

Just a nice picture of someplace you took it.

But that's just me.

Russ

Oh yeah, what to call them ??? "Thump-Thumps" maybe, "Thumperettes" nyah, "ThumperX2" , "Really badass vertical twins" I just don't know...

:wave

Nice bike, I wish I had more money but I'll wait to see the GS model. :thumb

I understand the rules you list are probably needed to make it a sticky, I just wanted to get it started already. Still, the word "thump" should not be used here, as these twins don't do any such thing and a "thumper" is THE name of a single. The engine is way too sweet and smooth to compare it or make it analogous to one.

My pic has NO "distracting" cage; it just follows what I say in my signature. If you want to call my RX-8 distracting, you can't appreciate the engine of an F800 anyway. The two drive trains are quite a match in RPM and gear ratios@speed.

I have heard a GS might be available in 2008, but you can't get any guarantee on it. Good luck in your hunt.

I'll follow up with some pics of someplace I took it, as the weeks roll on. My next long trip is May 18. Between now and then I'll use it every day I can while we are cool here, when we should not be. Today's high was 74, not the 90 it should be, yet. Meanwhile the NE had floods. Weird science.

Y2K BMW R1200C and a '95 DUC 900SSCR

The F800S reminds me of the DUC, half fairing, lightweight and all. (see red bike in bkgnd)

Here's the rub ... wifey sez if you want another bike, you've gotta sell one. Not like I have enough time to ride 3 anyhow. Dilemma is which one? The other day pulling into the gargage I said to self ... damn the R1200C is gorgeous ... so I dunno. I take the DUC to a few track days each year but the F800S/ST would lend itself to that. Then again ... risking a new bike ...

Decisions decisions ... trying to hold out til 2008 B'day present. Gotta see what kinda riding I do this year.

I feel sorry for you. :cry Me, I'd dump the over 500 lb-er, or the one closest to it. Yes, the R1200C is gorgeous, the F800S is prettier to me.:D

The DUC looks nice - I can't see its configuration or model well, but the S looks like it would be closer than the ST. I found the S fit my 5'11" frame better than the ST, but taller people find the ST a better fit.

Great pics, tho. As a suggestion, sell both and buy one of each, the gas mileage is better on the F800.:rofl

Here's my F800ST

144439154-L.jpg

144439166-L.jpg

And here's where we went, let's see who can guess where we were . . .

144439140-L.jpg

Back