• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2014 Gateway BMW GS Challenge

ncsonderman

:usa

What a great weekend to be a motorcyclist! I took advantage of the opportunity to learn how to use my new GSA in the proper environment. Gateway BMW put on a one day off-road rider training followed by of course the challenge and also great rides on Sunday.

Around 30 like minded individuals descended on Rogue Creek, just 60 miles south of St. Louis for a weekend of camping, eating, learning and of course crashing. Three instructors who teach for Rawhyde Adventure training came in to teach the three different levels of riders attending the event. Experienced trainers and staff from Gateway BMW were also on hand to help with training and cater to most any need you could have.

I took advantage of the Beginner level class. Despite a couple of decades road riding, it is a new animal to ride a heavy bike on gravel, trail, mud... The training was concentrated on basic skill building and exercises developed to allow the beginning rider gain confidence in the controls and balance of their off road capable bike. There were quite a few nervous participants, but the way each technique and skill was rolled out helped to ease their fear. Time was spent educating participants about the friction zone, trail braking, panic braking, trail stops, simple turning drills and hill ascent/descent. Opportunities presented throughout the day to stray from the lesson plan and cover situations as they happened. Picking up dropped bikes was handy throughout the day:dance

The challenge was the highlight of the day and took place just prior to the fine dinner spread layed out by our hosts. (food was excellent all weekend long, so kudos to all involved!) A changing of the guard took place as Honz' old GSA finally went to the great trail in the sky as his 14 GSA was watching from the side of the course. I think I saw a tear fall from Honz' eye (maybe it was from laughter or sweat, can't be sure:laugh) The best time on the course came from one of the instructors aboard an 83' GS. Strong work to be sure. I know my bike will never be the same as mud is in every nook and cranny. For those who insist that pretty/new bikes shouldn't be put through this........that's what they are made for:thumb

Good training, good weather, great facilities and local riding, and great people made this experience truly memorous.

Now I get what all of those ADV guys understood all along. There is more to see than what is paved.

A dirty bike is a happy bike

Great report. I hope you are planning on joining the GSGiants prior to and at the rally this year. There is a thread in the Rally section to register. And above all, DON'T WASH THE BIKE.:thumb

Dreamin'

I'd love to both join the GS Giants and also attend the rally, but my family commitments keep me close to home. I really affirmed my decision to join the dual sport crowd this weekend and also realized how much road riding translates into comfort controlling the big GSA off road.

Everyone at the training was there trying to better their skill riding off road and I commend all for stepping out of their comfort zone to try it.:bow

I'd love to both join the GS Giants and also attend the rally, but my family commitments keep me close to home. I really affirmed my decision to join the dual sport crowd this weekend and also realized how much road riding translates into comfort controlling the big GSA off road.

Everyone at the training was there trying to better their skill riding off road and I commend all for stepping out of their comfort zone to try it.:bow

NC, I am green with envy. Tom H sold me a F700 in November and made it a point to stop at the Micky-D's in DeSoto to invite me to the event; however, a prior commitment for for the past 33 years at the South County YMCA craft fair kept me from attending. If my wife ever decides to give up running the food booth to support the Active Older Adults group, (and by extension, I get volunteered :) ) I'll make it to one of the events in future years. I do intend to attend the GS Giant program at the national rally and have already signed up for the event, so I'll get a chance to (hopefully) learn how to ride this machine with some level of proficiency that provides me with some sense of accomplishment of conquering my fear of gravel and mud.....Thanks for the ride report!

Tom led the gravel road ride on Sunday and showed me some places just off the roads I've been riding for years that were amazing. Funny how getting off of the pavement allows you to really see what is there. Of course, riding the roads South of Potosi on my RT the scenery was always more of a blur:D

Rogue Creek is an ideal place to teach off road skills, so put it on your list if the craft fair falls on a different weekend.

Back