• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RR's R50 gets that first ride of the year in.

Rapid_Roy

Well, here we sat. After having Shingles for the past week or so, and watching bikes drive by my house, I had created my own personal mini Hell. The weekend was beautiful, and I went back to work for the first time yesterday. Yesterday, it was 67 degrees when I came home, and for Wisconsin, that is really iffy this time of year. So I told my wife, in no uncertain terms, "May I please go for a ride tomorrow when I come home from work?"

She said yes. She asked me what bike I would choose. I said "Whichever one starts." I got home from work around 5:15 pm, and changed into boots, and grabbed my sunglasses, jacket, and helmet. I went down to the garage, and decided I would roll the venerable 1955 R50 out and beat her mercilessly. Who wouldn't, with 23 roaring horsepower, and the modern set up of dual drum brakes?

I was lax with the battery tender, and she had a half a tank of gas from last year in her yet. Obviously, I had carefully stored her for the winter months.
I checked the tires, filled the rear a bit, and then the general condition of Ol' paint. She was good to go.

Old BMW lesson #1
Older BMW motorcycles, have a unique set up on the carburetor. They have a long rod that goes through the float, and it has a needle tip, that is actually floats to the top as the chamber fills with gas, to stop gas flow. This sucks, and must have been developed by subcontractors.
I had since replaced them with the "fix," a dull rod that floats up and hits a needle valve at the top, a vast improvement. Although, I still get "gas foot" once in a while.

To start the bike, there is a little black button on the carb top called a "tickler."
P3180040.jpg

A German tickler, is completely different then a French Tickler. The button depresses the float, and you do so until you see gas leaking out, then stop.
Repeat for the other side. We are now ready to start.

Ok, real bikes start here:
P3180009.jpg

Not up here:
P3180010.jpg

That is for controls and stuff. Besides, that was the Hi/Low beam and horn button.
She started with one kick, last years gas, and no battery help whatsoever since November.
Crappy BMW's. And we are off!

Last edited:
I rolled out of our neighborhood, and turned right. That heads toward civilization, unless I make a quick right about 500 down the road. That road, HWY H, heads towards the mighty Fox River, crosses over it, then becomes Hwy I, which runs along the river. I stopped for a photo:
P3180006.jpg

It's up there, but not overflowing. The road gets curvy, then bends West. I headed West to what is called the Kettle Moraine area of Wisconsin. The glacier left big piles of sediment (moraines) and deep hollows (kettles), and we built nice roads amongst it. It's about 15 minutes from my house. Kbasa is correct, there are no nice roads, and no great riding in Wisconsin. Don't come here to ride. :ha
P3180007.jpg

P3180011.jpg

I headed out into the country.
P3180012.jpg

P3180013.jpg

P3180017.jpg

P3180018.jpg

P3180019.jpg

P3180021.jpg

P3180022.jpg

Handlebars should be low and wide. Hey, I don't make the rules.
P3180024.jpg

P3180028.jpg

P3180025.jpg

This guy started riding next to me, and I got a cold feeling.
P3180016.jpg

I was heading back home, and the sun was going down quickly. My 3/4 Dakar style jacket w liner was starting to lose the war against cold. I pulled into the driveway around 7pm, chilled, after about 45 miles. It felt good.
It was just what I needed.
"Well done Pig, well done."

Thanks for reading. :wave

Having just gotten it completely running last year, I will.
I might add, it started on 1 kick and every time I stopped after that.
I am not even sure if I hit the bumper.
I see the wisdom in some new rubber bits. It sat in my basement for 20+ years

Last edited:
:nod

I made the right choice. The RT will be for another day, and the /7 willl be when I have more time. I have not put gas in it since I got it all back together. I have to test for leaks,sync the carbs and she will be good to go soon too.

Roy:

Thanks for putting those pictures up. That would be a great feeling, having a spring ride on an R50.

I last rode one about 20 years ago. A friend had left it with me to tune up and sell. That bike attracted so much attention, people would fall off the curb when I rode by. :laugh

In Wisconsin riding, timing is everything.
Saturday morning.
P3200041.jpg

Today, most of that is gone. I will be riding again.

Snowed again last night.
Stoopit weather!

Most of it is melting. In fact, the sun was shining on me while it was snowing this morning.

Stoopit weather!

My pleasure. It was slightly uncomfortable having my riding jacket zipped over the camera with the big lens, not a lot of storage on that bike.
:ha

The B/W photos seemed natural with an old bike (and you can't see rust :ha)

Back