• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Metzler ME 550

I'm getting ready to order a set of tires for my '93 K1100LT and have been looking at the Metzler ME 550 rear/ME 330 front combination. Anyone tried the 550 before? I currently have a 330 on the front, 880 on the rear which gave me pretty good mileage (10k). I noticed the 550 as being advertised as a "sport-touring" tire which appealed to me, but I'm not interested if it lasts as long as the Metronic 55A. (I got between 4-5k on the two I went through when I first got the bike.)

Feedback from anyone who has used or heard anything about the 550 would be appreciated.

Thanks.

In the not-too-distant past, although I can't find it right now, there was a discussion about the 330/550's. Also, I just traded in a '94 K1100LT, and I had been using the 880's. Absolutely loved 'em.. They handled well, and the set I had replaced before this set had 28K on the front, and 18K on the rear, with lots of tread left. I replaced them before heading out to Charleston, ran The Dragon and the Blue Ridge, along with a few other roads. The front I had scuffed to about 1/8" of the edges, with no loss of traction or road feel. If you can swing it, I'd say go for the 880's.

I was presented with the choice of the 330/550 last year when I needed a new set of rubber for my trusty '85 K100RT. I was HORRIFIED that after all the years of my 33 Laser front/ 88 Marathon rear, I had to make a change.

I bit the bullet since there was no choice, and I feel that the years of technology between the two sets of tires REALLY shows. I really like this setup on my bike. I only have less than 2500 miles on the set, but the difference was an immediate pleasant surprise.

Fear not... They are really good skins.

DSD

ddervin said:
I bit the bullet since there was no choice, and I feel that the years of technology between the two sets of tires REALLY shows.
DSD

Next time try some Michelin Pilot Roads and see what "years of technology" AND technical expertise at making tires (not to mention no small dose of day to day racing experience) does for tires. Michelins are to Metzelers what Metzelers are to wooden spoked ox-cart wheels.

Tires are kind of a religious subject, in that I'm probably not going to change anybody's mind, nor is anybody going to change mine, but I had a set of M100s on the VFR and they were kind of spooky.

I've got Dunlop 208s on there now and love them. However, the D220s that are on the RS are going to get changed to MeZ6s. I had those on the S and liked them quite a bit.

Tires and oil are two hard to discuss subjects. :)

In my statement regarding "years of technology", I was referring to the period of time that elapsed between the introduction of the previous set of recommended tires, compared to the new set. I haven't tried the Michelin's because I haven't had the need to, and this thread was created for those who have tried these tires, and requested an opinion.

By the way, I haven't ridden an ox cart, maybe you'd like to elighten us about their needs.

Why in the HOLY MOTHER OF ****, doe EVERY Internet forum have to always be so hostile?

ddervin said:
By the way, I haven't ridden an ox cart, maybe you'd like to elighten us about their needs.

Don't need to. I've ridden my K75 with Metzelers and I have a pretty good imagination. Sorry you interpreted my feeble attempt at humor as "hostility". Maybe you need a couple of deep breaths and some soothing music. Hot tub, maybe?

And FWIW, I HAVE tried they 880 and the 55A and the both SUCK (and I'm not talking marginally) compared to Michelins, that's why I posted.

Tried them on the Ox cart?

Whatever your opinion, they HARDLY suck. C'mon. Suck? You ought to at least be a little more specific.

What kind of Ox?

Ha!

DSD

Specifically, I find them very resistant to turning in, vastly different in characteristics hot vs. cold, unstable at high lean angles, and down right scarry in the wet or on grooved pavement. The only marginally kind thing I can say about them is that they are relatively long lived, the rears lasting about 7500 miles for me at a religiously maintained factory recommended 42 psi. But then I put 10k on my first set of Mac 100Xs.

If you like macadam tires, I have a set of 90's for sale. I took them off my '04 RRS after 1k miles, because I would rather run cheng shins than those things. The back end never ever felt planted with those tires, and I didn't like that feeling. I will be due another set of tires in May, I will have a track day and 6k by the end of May, and I understand that will probably do in the Conti Force tires on there now. They feel much stickier than the Michelins, and I bet tire life will be relatively short. They ride pretty good and turn in is about a billion times better. The rear tire feels nailed to the ground compared to the 90's. If you want them ping me and I will sell them cheap. Next up will be Avon Azaros for me.

me55a

I just put on the ME55a Rear to match the 33 on the front. I took some time reading reviews of the tires before i bought them. Now the real test. Using them.

( when i choose this tire i did not know that it was the recmended tire for the K1100LT but found out after putting the tools back and reading the plate covering the tool storage area.)

Back