• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F800GS Cracked Gas Tanks

joedakar

GS Ridin' Out West
How many out there have cracks along the radious bends in the gas tank just below the the seat? Mine and a friends 2009 models were discovered cracked by a service tech at Ventura County BMW a few months back. Inspection of a new one on the showroom floor also revealed cracks. The tank crack discoveries were forwarded to BMW by this shop, but we have heard nothing back from either on a potential fix/replacement. The tank does not leak, yet....
:scratch

There is a "HUGE" thread on the "BMW Riders F800 Forum" . Lots of good info.
I myself, have not seen the condition arise on mine yet but I keep a close eye on it. From what I've read it's a cosmetic problem attributed to the design of the tank trim. Not any defect with the tank itself. I have read that some dealers are starting to replace the tanks as a warranty item.
http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30073

F800GS Fuel Tank Cracks

I just bought a 2010 F800GS with only 3600 miles on it. During the first cleaning, I found cracks just below the seat on both sides. I looked at A&S microfishe and found that new tanks are not available.

Lou M.

I just bought a 2010 F800GS with only 3600 miles on it. During the first cleaning, I found cracks just below the seat on both sides. I looked at A&S microfishe and found that new tanks are not available.

Lou M.
Hi Lou, welcome to the forum. As you have brought an older thread to life there is a chance things have changed. There are quite a few members with this bike so this should generate more up to date info. Enjoy the forum. Gary

mine’s cracked

just purchased a 2012 f650gs with 800 miles. Went to the dealer to get a vstrom, but with covid, the pickings are slim. This bike is “new”, I haven’t found any rust or dust. Joined this forum and discovered the crack issue. Found it on my bike and asked Freedom BMW what the fix is. They didn’t seem interested. Ran a bead of cycoanalateover the split, let it cure for a day, and repeated the application. Seems to be holding after a moa ride of 150 miles of twisties. Can’t we get BMWOA’s attention?

Welcome to the forum!
On an 8 year old bike, you may see if you could get in touch with the rep for a goodwill gesture :dunno

If it’s not leaking you can reinforce with West System G-Flex Epoxy.

Good luck.

Gary

I don't know where to look on my F700GS. Someone please post a picture or, give me an idea which exact areas to look at.

Thanks!

I don't know where to look on my F700GS. Someone please post a picture or, give me an idea which exact areas to look at.

Thanks!

Guenther,

Thus far I haven’t found where this has occurred in the F700GS. Admittedly my search has not been exhaustive, but so far the pattern I’m seeing is in the early F800GS (pre-2013) and F650GS.

I will be interested to know if this is also cropping up on the F700GS, if anyone has insight.

Guenther,

Thus far I haven’t found where this has occurred in the F700GS. Admittedly my search has not been exhaustive, but so far the pattern I’m seeing is in the early F800GS (pre-2013) and F650GS.

I will be interested to know if this is also cropping up on the F700GS, if anyone has insight.

Agreed, which is odd, since they all 3 share the same gas tank part number...

Got the pictures - thanks!

My F700GS doesn't show a problem at that edge of the gas tank. Usually before I get home and park the bike in my garage I always fill up to near the top of the red pipe.

My understanding of why not to overfill is in case you open the tank cap while the bike is on the center stand or you drive off with the cap not securely closed (my mistake early on!) and gas pouring out.

/Guenther

Got the pictures - thanks!

My F700GS doesn't show a problem at that edge of the gas tank. Usually before I get home and park the bike in my garage I always fill up to near the top of the red pipe.

My understanding of why not to overfill is in case you open the tank cap while the bike is on the center stand or you drive off with the cap not securely closed (my mistake early on!) and gas pouring out.

/Guenther

I would skip the real topping off so fuel doesn’t wash into the emissions system.

OM

Agreed, which is odd, since they all 3 share the same gas tank part number...

Interesting. Maybe it wasn’t a problem with the tank so much as how it was mounted? Possibly with the 2013 re-fresh they made adjustments elsewhere to mitigate the issue?

Back