• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F650 Advice

bluehole

My son is living in South Korea and has been riding a small Korean brand motorcycle. He would like to continue motorcycling here when he returns early next year. While he is not certain what type of riding he will do in the future, he would like the capability to ride off pavement (fire roads, dirt/gravel roads...not trails). He and I think his pavement to non-pavement riding pattern might be something like 70/30. He may even try his hand at moderate distance riding...maybe a couple of hundred miles a day.

His budget will be limited...probably $3,000. We both thought the KLR650 and the Suzuki DR650 might fit the bill. He has been checking them out and likes both models. The other day it occurred to me the older F650, the Funduro, might be something to consider too. I have never ridden one, but looked one over while checking out bikes many years ago. I am guessing the F650 leans more toward street than off road use, but that will probably be fine. If nothing else, I hope whatever he buys is versatile enough for him to try different things, and if not meet his needs, help give him and idea of what type of riding he is interested in pursuing.

The other 650s seem to be pretty reliable, affordable and have a good secondary market which is important if he decides to resell. I hear good things abut the F650's Rotax engine. May not have FI the newer models posses, but a solid engine anyway. Looking at the market I think he can afford one. Not sure what the secondary market is like.

Appreciate your opinions. Advantages/disadvantages. Things to look for/avoid. Known issues. Strengths/weakness...not only of the F650, but in comparison to the others. Maybe there is a model I have not, but should consider? Why did you buy your BMW as opposed to the others available out there? I think you get the idea. Thanks.

Last edited:
I owned a 2003 F650GS, my first BMW - toured with it and road it on dirt roads - a great bike!

Recommend the GS and fuel injection - from what I've read more reliable than F650's with carbs.

Some refer to it as a "F" forever BMW - I enjoyed it for several years and moved on to larger bikes and airheads. But, it is a very light, nimble, reliable, and versatile bike - again, I'm talking about the GS model.

p.s. the IMHO, the BMW is way better quality than the KLR 650 - I rode with a buddy who had the KLR - I just liked the BMW more - smoother, better built, just my take.

You might also add the Suzuki V-Strom 650 (DL650) to your list for consideration. It has very devoted followers in the adventure riding crowd.

You might also add the Suzuki V-Strom 650 (DL650) to your list for consideration. It has very devoted followers in the adventure riding crowd.

+1 on the V Strom - forgot about that one - a friend has one and just loves it! A very reliable and reasonably priced bike.

F650 is a great bike, wife has one and I ride it frequently, GREAT fuel mileage, cheap to service, reliable, and as smooth as a boxer up to about 75 mph!

Agree, stick to Fuel Injected models.

I know a guy that has had a gabble of Ducati's, the F800GS and a bunch of other stuff, and he still enjoys his 03ish F650GS in the twisty stuff, and he can run down 100+ hp sport bikes on it when the roads get fun (twisty)

Back