• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Acronyms For Newbies

R

REBECCAV

When I joined this forum three years ago I was completely confused by all of the acronyms being tossed around.

On another thread a new member asked what ATGATT was and so I thought that I would start a new thread about it. So here are some of the more common ones. Feel free to chime in 'cause I know I'll forget something!

ATGATT = All The Gear All The Time

BTW = By The Way

HTH = Hope This Helps

FWIW - For What It's Worth

DAMHIK = Don't Ask Me How I Know

Last edited:
And for the Iron Butt crowd:

IBA = Iron Butt Association

IBR = Iron Butt Rally

SS1K = SaddleSore 1000

Generally anything with an F means a certain four letter word.

WTF = What the F

FNG = F'n New Guy

RTFM = Read the F'n Manual

BFD = Big F'n Deal

My favorite self-referential one:

TLA = Three Letter Acronym

boxergrrlie said:
When I joined this forum three years ago I was completely confused by all of the acronyms being tossed around.

On another thread a new member asked what ATGATT was and so I thought that I would start a new thread about it. So here are some of the more common ones. Feel free to chime in 'cause I know I'll forget something!

ATGATT = All The Gear All The Time

BTW = By The Way

HTH = Hope This Helps

FWIW - For What It's Worth

DAMHIK = Don't Ask Me How I Know

Thanks for this. Now I have to go back and read 15,287 posts to see what they meant. FWIW.
But TH.

SWMBO = She who must be obeyed

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

You can also go here and enter a acronym into the search field to find out or google will often work.

HTH
Brian

LOL = Laugh out loud :D
ROFL = Rolling on the floor laughing :rofl
ROFLMAO = Rolling on the floor laughing my *ss off

SWMBO = She who must be obeyed

More to follow from others.

tb

Some of my favs (that's short for favorites) ;-)

TTFN= Ta Ta For Now

NNITO= Not Necessarily In That Order

L8R= Later

IYCOSMN= If You Could Only See Me Now

WYWH= Wish You Were Here

--Doug

IANAL = I am not a lwyer

EMOTO = eventual master of the obvious

SNAFU = situation normal, all f'd up

TARFU = things are really f'd up

FUBAR = f'd up beyond all recognition

Emoto said:
IANAL = I am not a lwyer

That is usually followed by "but..." indicating the speaker/writer is not a lawyer but, by God, they sure think they know what they are talking about and you'd better damn well listen to their diatribe...

As soon as I hear "I am not a lawyer..." my ears close. :nyah

--Doug (a lawyer, but I don't play one on TV) :dance

oh! I thought of one that no one has mentioned yet!

NSFW - Not Safe For Work

Good for links that may include topless women or... well.... I think it's ever only used for topless women.

-Xaque-

DILLIGAF

or

DILLIGAS

Do I Look Like I Give A _______

Not used here but you may see it in those other forums... :doh

Back