• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I'm ready for more jokes.

oldhway

2 Wheeled Troubador
Unfortunately I hadn't checked in on the old thread recently and some of the members had pushed the content way outside of forum guidelines.

There was some great stuff in there but there was too much that needed to be deleted so it is closed and gone.

You folks all know the guidelines but basically, keep it PG (The kind of thing you would see on primetime TV is fine), and if you want try again.

And for those who like to push the limits, please don't mess this up for everyone else.

Thanks.

I should have visited more often. I never read anything 'off colour'. Maybe my 'I'm offended' meter is set too high!
Let's laugh!

Although I thought a few of the jokes were getting "edgy," I don't think it warranted removing the thread. Couldn't it have been "cleaned up" and monitored a bit more? I enjoyed it and had only gotten through about 12 pages. Can we start it again?

I stuck what could have been an offensive (but funny) joke up yesterday - sorry if I overstepped the mark.
The removal of the whole thread is overkill. This rigid moderating is is hurting this forum.

will this be possible???

:lurk

wonderbread.JPG

Overkill

We are all adults on the forum and even if a few (and that means very few) of the jokes were a little off color, the removal of all was overkill.
At all the many rallies and gatherings I have attended woth the MOA I have hearrd a lot of language that "the church lady" would blush from. We are not the "church lady".
Please put it back as it was!!!!!

I read every one of the jokes and I didn't see anything wrong with any of them (except a few weren't funny). I don't think the jokes need to be grade school clean.

Ready for more jokes

Deleting everything on the forum is like using an elephant to stomp on p**s ants. Moderate on an as needed basis please.

Bob Schrader

Although I thought a few of the jokes were getting "edgy," I don't think it warranted removing the thread. Couldn't it have been "cleaned up" and monitored a bit more? I enjoyed it and had only gotten through about 12 pages. Can we start it again?

Probably the easiest for me to respond to.

I reopened a thread with the same name so it could get started again. Please do, there was a lot of very funny stuff there.

I went to do a clean up and realized there were way to many posts to get through.
I am sorry but all of the moderators are volunteers and to go back through and reread the whole thread is beyond what I had available for time I tried and after 1/2 an hour decided to make the decision to close the thread and start it again.

Please compare this to the guidelines here
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=44880

As I read them I have no problem with the post. Of course you probably would want to consult the original poster of those guidelines...

Oh wait, that was you :stick /

We are adapting those guidelines somewhat to say basically if it would play on Prime Time TV, it is ok here. I rea;ize that is less strict than originally intended but we are trying to lighten up a bit here. that would be ok wouldn't it?

Probably the easiest for me to respond to.

I reopened a thread with the same name so it could get started again. Please do, there was a lot of very funny stuff there.

I went to do a clean up and realized there were way to many posts to get through.
I am sorry but all of the moderators are volunteers and to go back through and reread the whole thread is beyond what I had available for time I tried and after 1/2 an hour decided to make the decision to close the thread and start it again.

what started the reaction? did someone complain?

Saving ourselves from complaints from a minority by killing content from the majority.

Seems odd in a place that is defined by discussion and content; i.e. a forum. Oh well, I'm not offended by anything, and I'm not a mod.. so it doesn't really matter how I view things.

what started the reaction? did someone complain?

There were several including the final one that pointed out a trend towards getting further and further out of guidelines.

I enjoyed the majority of what was on there. I was not happy to close it. Unfortunately, without the membership being somewhat self-moderating things like that will occaisionally happen since the mods only have so much time to spend here.

If everyone would play by the rules and remind each other if things get a little hinky, it would prevent stuff like that.

On the one hand folks in this case seem to want the mods to monitor every post and only act on the individual ones (which we try) and on the other hand when we do that we are accused of nannyism. The forum participants are grown ups here and pretty much know what's expected. If a member or several members get carried away trying to see how far they can push things and something like this happens, maybe the fault is not with the mods.

In the several years I have been involved in the mod team, I have had less than a handful of people volunteer to be mods but I can't count how many folks are willing to complain about moderation (That is not directed at you Hodag, it is a general statement).

The mod team is willing to discuss forum guideliens and moderation with anyone who is serious about doing so. The Forum guidelines are controlled by the members and completely seperate from Club Leadership. If someone really wants change and is willing to put their time where their mouth (keyboard) is, PM me.
The only agenda we have is to make this place the best possibble for the majority of the members, and we do it because we support and believe in this forum.

One thing the average forum reader, poster, lurker can do to help out the moderation team is to use the report post feature. At the lower left of each post is an excalmation square (!) and if you click on it, you can send a message to the moderation team. Your report has the space to say why you think the post is "out of bounds" based on the forum rules. You can use this or just flag the post. If more readers used this feature, it would make the moderation job easier, and might avoid the necessity of closing the whole thread.

I almost reported one of the last jokes that I felt was "out of bounds" but didn't because I am on the BoD and we have agreed not to become involved with the running of the forum.

Thanks,

tb

Senior VS. Lawyer

Ok, folks, I'll start getting this thread back on track by reposting a joke that I forwarded to some friends, so still had in my mail box. Not mine, but one I enjoyed.

tb

A lawyer and a senior citizen are sitting next to each other on a long flight. The lawyer is thinking that seniors are so dumb that he could get one over on them easily. So, the lawyer asks if the senior would like to play a fun game. The senior is tired and just wants to take a nap, so he politely declines and tries to catch a few winks. The lawyer persists, saying that the game is a lot of fun...."I ask you a question, and if you don't know the answer, you pay me only $5.00. Then you ask me one, and if I don't know the answer, I will pay you $500.00," he says. This catches the senior's attention and, to keep the lawyer quiet, he agrees to play the game. The lawyer asks the first question. "What's the distance from the Earth to the Moon?" The senior doesn't say a word, but reaches into his pocket, pulls out a five-dollar bill, and hands it to the lawyer. Now, it's the senior's turn. He asks the lawyer, "What goes up a hill with three legs, and comes down with four?" The lawyer uses his laptop to search all references he can find on the Net. He sends E-mails to all the smart friends he knows; all to no avail. After an hour of searching, he finally gives up. He wakes the senior and hands him $500.00. The senior pockets the $500.00 and goes right back to sleep. The lawyer is going nuts not knowing the answer. He wakes the senior up and asks, "Well, so what goes up a hill with three legs and comes down with four?" The senior reaches into his pocket, hands the lawyer $5.00, and goes back to sleep.

For clarification, for those that don't already know, what are the guidelines?
I have seen some pretty raunchy things on broadcast tv so that can't be it.
We all realize that most politics and racial items are verboten, but what else? We are all supposed to be adults here. I know I will soon have to become an adult as I an nearly 65.

For clarification, for those that don't already know, what are the guidelines?
I have seen some pretty raunchy things on broadcast tv so that can't be it.
We all realize that most politics and racial items are verboten, but what else? We are all supposed to be adults here. I know I will soon have to become an adult as I an nearly 65.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=44880

If you look at the Campfire table of contents, the Posting guidelines are one of the stickies near the beginning.

We are adapting those guidelines somewhat to say basically if it would play on Prime Time TV, it is ok here. I rea;ize that is less strict than originally intended but we are trying to lighten up a bit here. that would be ok wouldn't it?

have you ever watched the Family Guy? :ha

we went through a whole process of getting input from members before writing the guidelines. remember the Tutu rule? I think Hodag made some really good contributions.

There have been a lot of additions to the guidelines since then, so maybe we should go through that process again?

it's impossible to draw this line, so why get all wrapped up in it? better to give mods lots of leeway and to have their actions be as transparent as possible.

if we had done this with the jokes thread as it grew, the precious few jokes that were on the fringe would have been deleted with an explanation as to why... and the poster would then have a better idea of the boundaries. (of course, there is only so much time in a volunteer day...)

jmo.

ian

Back