• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

HJC Helmets anyone?

Polarbear

Polarbear
HJC has a "flip helmet" that fits me:). I wear an exceptionally large helmet in size8+ and the 3X HJC is me:). I have had some earlier Shoei, BMW flip rigs years ago, when they made the big sizes, but no more of them today available. I just found the HJC line with this feature. Anybody know these? I may have to buy one in "Pearl White". My current head bucket is an Arai XT, dirt kinda style and its about worn out. No more Arai's for me, unless I hit the lottery! Never had a white helmet, but their Pearl White looks so nice:). Randy:usa PS; the tag is 185$ for the flip 3X in Pearl, not a bad deal:) I was wondering, before buying!

I have a bit of an odd shaped head and have found the HJC line fits me very well. I have both an open face and a fully closed. Haven't tried the flip style but may do so on my next purchase. I like their quality and fit. Being both Snell and DOT approved is a good thing as well.

I don't wear a flip-up modular, my I've been wearing an HJC full face for about 4 years. I've not had to put it the test, but it's held up well, the original face shield still usable and stays in place.

Having looked into the various test procedures, I don't look for Snell cert, only DOT or the Euro cert.

I had a CL-Max. It was a good fair weather helmet, but it leaked big time in the rain (water streaks down the inside of the visor) and was the worst fogging helmet I'd ever worn in cold weather. Of course cold here in Vermont is a bit nippier than cold in your neck of the woods. The visor wouldn't stay open a crack at more than 20mph, which made the fogging situation worse.

But it was comfy for my shape head, and for a modular it was fairly quiet.

My last two helmets have been HJC modulars and I have been very pleased with them. Having tried both the CL-max and the Symax models, I have found the visor on the Symax to be the better of the two. Also, they now have a model called the Symax 2, which includes an internal sunvisor that operates independently of the main shield.

I think the HJCs are one way to get a good quality helmet at a reasonable price. If I needed to replace my current helmet tomorrow, I would be looking at the Symax 2.

A personal note: If you don't think an internal sunvisor is a good thing, try riding through an unlighted tunnel on the Blue Ridge Parkway while wearing your sunglasses.

:cat

I have the sy-max-II and give it an OK rating. Most of my neg's relate to problems common to flip-ups: noice and cold around the next. I do dig flip'g it up for air at low speeds (not adv for safety). I commute from 90 to 25 degrees on RT. no problems w/leaking in the rain. I may go Nolan when this one is due to retire.

Reviewed here:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/sy-max-II/

This is were I purchased mine.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/13138/ITEM/HJC-Sy-Max-II-Modular-Helmet.aspx

I recently purchased an FS10 HJC. Very comfortable, and accomodates my spectacles well. It is much noisier than the Shoei it replaced, however. Seems that the ear area is "open" with thin padding (maybe for earphones?). Looking closer, the retention strap is tunneled through the padding near the ear in such a way that it creates a direct "channel" from the helmet shell directly into the wearer's ear. I am experimenting with adding foam to fill these open spaces.

Very pleased w/Symax II

In July a Symax was included when I purchased a used motorcycle. I liked it a lot more than the various helmets (all DOT approved) I had used riding my Sportster.

Since I didn't know the history of the Symax, (how old, had it ever had hard bumps), I replaced it with a Symax II. I wear a size 7 1/2 cap, and found the "L" large size fits me just like it should...slightly squeezes in on my cheeks, doesn't wiggle around, yet not so tight that it causes discomfort. (One of the only reasons I was willing to buy a helmet over the internet was I had read others reviews that said the Symax and SymaxII were similarly sized, so I could buy an "L" with confidence it would fit properly.)

VERY pleased. I liked the Symax, I really like the Symax II. Biggest difference is the internal sunshield, a feature I had longed after for years (even considering getting an AF Pilot's helmet until I saw what the insides of those looked like.)

I wear glasses, and switching to sunglasses and then occasionally going through tunnels was not a good situation. The Symax II internal shield pops out of sight instantly when the button on top of the helmet is operated.

The only critique is I'd rather have the tint a little darker. I commute directly into the rising sun in the morning and the setting sun in the evening. Sometimes it seems I ALWAYS have the sun in my eyes.

Given that I don't know of a darker shield by competitors, I highly recommend the Symax II.

Paul

The Fabled GirlfriendÔäó and I both have HJC Sy-Max II brain buckets, and I find them to be quite good. I figured out how to control visor fogging by merely cracking the bottom-left corner of the visor. It is a rather noisy helmet, but such is life with a modular. I think my next lid might be a Shoei Multi-Tec, though.

Previous helmet was a CL-14, which fit well and was fairly quiet on my shaped head. The only issue I had was with the shield retention system as I switch shields often they wore out. I went through 3 sets in 4 years. They changed the design and the newer series seem better. I recently got the Sy-Max II so I would have the built in sun shade. As earlier posted, it is noisy like most modulars, and I too, would like a darker tint. Had Nolan's N102 with internal sunshield been available to try on 2 weeks ealier, I would probably have bought a Nolan, but since I tend to wear earplugs most of the time (I know Mom, hearing loss is not reversable) the sound issue isn't worth going right out for another helmet.

watermellon heads

The HJC is hard to beat. I have read comparison test where it is prefered over all the rest, even at half the price.

My oval shaped 7 3/4 head was not comfortable in a XL/G and it seemed a little small and tight at the front or forehead. My watermellon head has seen this problem before.

Although I am very pleased, it took a while for me to "break it in".

Still I don't plan on ever owning anything else.

Hjc

No complaints about my old full face FG 10. HJC is one of the largest motorcycle helmet manufacturers in the world.

Thank you:)

I am not an easy helmet fit either, at 3X:(. My 2X Arai XT has been good, but it is NOT a quiet helmet either and so very pricey to do it again. 500$ Arai's and the quality is "simply no better" than the 200$ ones, imo...All the other 2X's I try are too tight. The HJC recently caught my eye for the first time, especially the flip rig, CL Max. The CL Max is the only flip one they make at 3X, as the more tricked ones with the internal shade are only 2X...I don't think I need the internal shade built in anyways. I worry nobody has one to try on, however and will have to order one, "without" a try on before purchase. I did try the standard full face HJC 2X and its a "no fit" for sure. Thanks for the reviews. Sounds like HJC is a keeper for most. I like the price, on line interent at 148$ for the CL Max in Pearl White. Really great price at "Helmet City", free shipping out of Oakland, CA.....Most of my local guys have been pricing it at 190$, +or- a few. Randy:usa

It looks to me like the IS-Max is a lower cost version of the Symax

IS max is molded polycarbonate
Sy Max is fiberglass spectra composite weave.

It stands to reason the fiber re-enforces shell is the higher cost and intended to be better.

That being said, I have a Sy-Max. In general it is OK. 3 things I do not like

It has open ear areas, probably for speakers. I do not use speakers and I think it makes the helmet noisy.

The other thing is there is no padding on the chin bar, just a hard plastic piece between your chin and the actuating mechanism for the latch.

I admit that I do not know how these affect crash performance. I hope I never find out.

Fogging between the sunshade and visor, never clears.

Things I like

The sun shade, I love it, I wish they offered a darker one, but this one is great.

My first flip front, getting the glasses on is so nice.

Steel latch for the chin bar, I know it attaches to plastic, and again I have no interest in testing it. I think it is safer.

Everything works nice with heavy winter gloves.

It seems to fit very well.

The visor has almost zero optical distortion. In another few months I will get to test the hard coat washing off the bugs.

I think for the money it is a very nice helmet, I will have to see how it ages.

Rod

Me Too

I have had both the Sy Max and the CL Max and I liked them. They were comfortable for my 2XL head. The open ear cup makes the helmet very easy to put on; but it is NOT quiet. Face shield open one notch to defog - not above 40 mph behind the K75 windshield.

I like HJC...

I have a CL-15 that I like quite a bit. It fits me perfectly, very comfortable. However, the venting leaves a little to be desired.

I tried on a Shoei Multitec yesterday, and it, too, fits me very well. In fact, the XXL was too big for me, and the XL fit me perfectly. Of course, the Multitec is a bit more expensive than the HJC, however, when the time comes, I may very well go for a Multitec.

For the money, HJC is hard to beat, IMHO.

Ear holes, HJC's?

Maybe, just maybe the ear holes can be filled to control noise, or would this hinder on and off with the helmet? I may well go after a new HJC very soon, if I can find a 3X somewhere. They make the CLMax in this size:), but finding it available! Polycarbonate vs. fibreglass for strength is a good point and would be interesting reading how they are tested against one another. I know the poly helmets must be lighter. Impact? Unknown. My last sevearl have been the high dollar glass helmets and have hit the ground so many times, I lost count. Not with me in it! Dropping my helmets off the bikes seat, etc seems to be my weakness. Randy:usa

Back