• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tow-Ster

Yup.... I've owned one since 1974.... .. :bolt

Attachments

• 1973 R75-5  LWB.jpg
    1973 R75-5 LWB.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 3,043
i remember seeing these many years ago, but not such a nice design.

this would be ideal for taking your bike to the shop. it would be important to check the tongue weight rating of your hitch to make sure there aren't any -uh-oh's... but i doubt a bike would exceed the rating.

i've not used one, but it looks very well built.

ian

I am, if nothing else, a wise ass!!! In case you weren't absolutely sure.. ..

YouTube demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z_yoVrGa0g

I think this Tow-ster thing would be great for short hauling, as mentioned, to the shop as long as it wasn't too far away... 20-30 miles maybe? In fact the video states that it is a piece of "emergency equipment".

I don't think it would be so good for hauling off on a five hundred mile trip. Arguably the two tires normally share the weight of the motorcycle, but loading up the back tire seems like it would be subjecting it to uneven wear (of the tire, and the mechanical components).

Another issue to consider (for long or short hauling) is that there are no functioning tail lights on the bike. The tow vehicles tail lights are unobscured, but most states require that a towed vehicle be equipped with functioning lights... With no rider on board it isn't too much of a stretch to imagine some dolt rear-ending your scooter "because I didn't see the motorcycle!"

I made one of these many years ago out of necessity when moving from Calif. to Colo.

Mine however had a hole for the front axle to fit through, and necessitated the removal of the front wheel. The forks slipped down on the inside, and the axle went through to secure it.

By the way, don't believe that carp about backing it up!! lol

Good idea. Maybe not

I called Toe-Ster and got some info. Its made for a 2ÔÇØ receiver (Class III) and they determine the tongue weight by using 2/3 of the bikes weight. So a 700 pound bike would equal a 469 tongue weight. Add the weight of the Toe-Ster and the hold downs and you would most likely be at the limit for a Class III hitch.

Couple of things to consider here.

Class III hitch is rated for 500 lbs tongue weight. That is based on the fact that weight is applied at the ball location, which is close to the receiver. The Toe-Ster looks like it may place the load 1-2ÔÇÖ farther back on the hitch. This additional leverage would add a lot of strain to the hitch and possibly the tow vehicle itself. If using adaptors to connect it to a Class II would most likely move this lever even further back.

Here is a big one. How is the bikeÔÇÖs transmission lubricated? If the transmission is separate from the crankcase, it may have splash lubrication, which may be fine. However, common case (especially dry sump) systems most likely have forced lubrication to the gears, shafts and bearings. Check your manual to see if it can be towed.

Even if these obstacles were cleared, I still would not buy one. IÔÇÖd put the money towards a good used flat trailer that would have multiple uses.

Back