• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

From around Portland, Oregon

M

medieval

This regional forum idea is great. Thank you MOA!!:thumb I have been riding for over 40 years, but I am fairly new to BMW motorcycles with a 2003 R1150RS acquired in 2005. I live in Oregon City (about 25 miles from downtown Portland) and was surprised that there is no MOA chapter in the area:scratch I have gotten in touch with a few MOA members through the anonymous book, but it has been difficult to plan a ride because of conflicting schedules and preferences. :banghead Any ideas from someone in the area??:stick

MOA chapters? I dont know that I know of any MOA chapters, are you referring to a chartered club? BMW riders of Oregon is fairly active in the summer with several events. As for the metro area, dont know of any clubs for BMW around here other than BMWRO.

Hello fellow PDX area riders. I am new to BMW M/C's also. Have been riding close to 40 yrs also. In August in bought a 03 RT from my brother. After doing some looking on the web for BMW resources finding BMWMOA and joining, I too was surprised to find no chapter in the PDX area. Not a big deal .But I would really like to watch someone do a service on a 1150. With the cost of having the dealer do a service, it is vital that I do most or all of the work myself. Especially if you have more than one bike. The books and the DVD are good but, I ask a lot of questions. So I'll throw it out there, anybody doing a service on a 1150 this spring? I would like to learn how to do the service on one. PM me or get involved here. I hope I didn't hijack this thread...Bob

BMW Riders of Oregon is the only state club I know of, and the local events they do are usually announced via email. I also get several emails about tech days that are held by members once in a while, these are usually airhead days though. I hear ya on the service though! I do my own oil, tires and brakes, but beyond that, I am not much help. If you need tires though, I am glad to help out, as in I have the tire rack and balancer and can help. The RT has aluminum rims, so I would leave the heavy work to you so I dont scratch your rims. Ignore my screen name, I currently have a GS and its rims are more forgiving.

Activities

I might be interested in getting together for a meal somewhere, but I am not interested in riding with a group larger than 4 or 5. I ride for the fun of it, not to see how fast I can traverse a particular road. Additionally, I do not ride in the rain - or other nasty weather - if I can avoid it.

Given all that I tour once a year with a cherished group of friends over a 3K route that varies every year. This will be our 18th year, and two of us ride KLTs

I am right there with you bflemingor, I am a newer rider, started in 05, and have tired the group ride thing. Have gone on some rides sponsored by BMWRO and local shops, some charity runs etc, but I just am not a group ride type. I like to set my own pace without someone creeping up my rear, I ride on the conservative side and dont find any shame in the edges of my tires being like new and I like to stop when I see something neat and want a picture. And I like to ride to places instead of just a big loop etc. I have much more fun with just one or two other bikes. Last summer my brother and I did just over 10K by ourselves and had a ball.

That being said, I tried last summer, well 07, to get a monthly breakfast going using the BMWRO site to spread the word. Met some nice people, but my idea was to eat somewhere different each time, that I think was the down fall, no set place and no set day.

I do think it would be neat though to have a monthly spot for people to congregate for food and talk.

So we have the start of an idea it sounds like. My own thought, should be an inexpensive place, for the most part, maybe with a German connection. Was planning on stopping by the Pyriamind Brewing Tap House in NW this week for dinner and to check it out for a meet place for bikes. Anyone been there?

Klikitat-Glenwood-White Salmon

When the weather softens and the gravel is off the road I will extend an invitation to share a ride. I just love the east end of the Columbia River Gorge. Maybe we will even get someone on a big Triumph to join us as the team photographer.

http://www.pyramidbrew.com/alehouses/portland
Been to Pyramid Brewing many times. The two huge, highly polished, copper fermenting tanks and garlic rosemary fries that your wife will comment upon. Good grill, good beer. Name the day and time, I'll show.

See ya
Bob

Very good! I am a bit biased towards the place if it is good, as it is on my way home! If we try to come up with an informal day and time, what works best. Weekday night, one less dinner to be planned, but if someone wanted to ride afterwards, then that would be a no go. Weekend meet would allow rides if people wanted to afterwards, but then again, rides might interfere with a get together. I am kinda leaning towards a weekday evening thing, then if folks wanted to plan rides for a weekend, then they could. And a weekday night may not be as busy at the restaurant.

I'm in for a meet also. Any other PDX area riders interested? Bob

Don't know that I've been there - what's the address?? Some Breakfast suggestions: Top 'o Hill in Canby, or Camp 18 on 26, or The Otis Cafe in Lincoln City....

Checking in from Salem, any of you daily riders? :wave I commute from Salem to Aurora every day on my silver steed and the only other riders I see in the winter are OSP & Salem PD. Happy riding ... :bikes

With any luck, I am going to stop at the Pyramind place tomorrow night for dinner to check it out, price, seating, parking etc. The address is Pyramid Brewing McTarnahans Taproom at 2730 NW 31.

Planegeek, I rode in today from Scappoose to Portland, of course did not figure out it was icey out until well under way. Never ridden so far puckered up so much. Oh well, kept it upright.

Planegeek, I rode in today from Scappoose to Portland, of course did not figure out it was icey out until well under way. Never ridden so far puckered up so much. Oh well, kept it upright.

Yeah I hear ya! I was totally bummed not being able to ride the week before & week of Christmas with all the ice & snow. The weeks after I have to say were quite entertaining. The RT handled great on all the gravel. :clap I just handled it like a GS even standing on the foot pegs through some hilly neighborhoods. Who knows some day I may add to the family and pick up a GS for winter riding. With studded tires that is... :bottle :evil

Oh for the snow and ice and frosty mornings like today, I want to add a Ural Patrol to the family. I think that would just freak peple out to show up to work on a snow day in MC gear.

Oh for the snow and ice and frosty mornings like today, I want to add a Ural Patrol to the family. I think that would just freak peple out to show up to work on a snow day in MC gear.

Heck yeah! That's the best part! All the Harley drivers here already think I'm crazy because I get my bike wet. But with the beautiful morning rides like this week how can you not ride year round? It definitly has me in a good mood by the time I get to work

So the McTarnahans is a great place, of course I know this after one meal. For the sandwiches and burges was about ten bucks a pop. Seems to be plenty of parking, on street and lot and seating looks to be favorable for groups with lots of crap ie gear. So what does eveyone think? Maybe set up an evening weekday meet and great there? Tuesday night is pint night :clap , but thinking might be busier than other nights. Gal tonight said most week nights pretty easy going, busy of course on Friday and Saturday nights.

So what do we think?

Last edited:
Sure

MacTarnahan's is the Pyramid Brewing down in the Industrial NW. I'll stop by on (thirsty) Thursday at about 6:00

Bob

Sounds like the start of a plan. So this next Thursday, the 29th, at 6pm. Who ever can and wants to show, please do. I will also send out a quick note on the BMWRO yahoo account. If people show up and seem interested, maybe this can be a regular thing, last Thurs of each month, just a meet, great and eat.

Back