• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

what i'm thinking is this...

f14rio

i love my '10 r12r. i also have a harley softail crossbones. both are good around town bikes and even decent touring machines. but i'm thinking i can extend my riding season if i traded in my r12r on an r1200rt (wind/weather protection).
the basic bike seems adaquate as is,

http://www.goldcoast-motorsports.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=326036

i'm not too enthusiastic about a sound system or an expensive gps (the one from my car works just fine for me on the bikes).

so i'm asking... what is the 'need to have' stuff (additional cost options) i should consider if i do get the rt.

thanks for the help, gents

ed

8211400180_1a5e7c401d.jpg

Last edited:
Ed,

Noticed you have a 2008 Triumph and Side car. Which models are they?

On your question, the rear trunk is a must and the sterio would be questionable. Get extended warranty if possible in your part of the world.

That would be my choice.

Had an RT (07) and an R (08). Kept the R and sold the RT. For me the R is easier to ride, quicker, much more nimble, easier to work on, less prone to the maladies of the RT and GS (e.g. final drive, fuel relay, ignition antenna). You can set-up the R to be a good LD tourer (see pic) and then pull everything off and have a fantastic roadster. You can take the R on roads that will be much more difficult on an RT; with the right rubber mounted it is competent on dirt. I rode it on many of the dirt roads of Alaska when I lived there. I miss the cruise control of the RT and the 7 gallon tank, but the R with a ThrotttleMeister does okay. With the set-up below I get excelllent protection, near as well as with the RT. Sell your R and you will regret it........

SAM_1600.jpg

The bike as depicted has a Parabellum Scout Fairing, Touratech wind screen extender, GS hand guards, Aerostich tank panniers, Wunderlich foot protectors, raised bars, lowered pegs, Hepco Becker bags, with two 1 quart fuel bottles attached, and Happy Trails Topbox, Corbin seat. The black bag on the back is a Kermit Baag that holds a 4 man tent, kermit chair, cook stove and other camping gear.

With the right equipment and riding gear - no reason the R12R can't go out and be fun in any weather the RT might go out in. Wunderlich grip-muffs handle the hands (actually wear summer gloves and have to turn the heated grips off, even in 30F temps.) Heated Gerbing jacket liner, the taller Cee-Bailey windshield, a balaclava, and for really cold - I made a heat pad for the seat (Rider-Warehouse must have liked my idea - they offer one now.) I wear a full face helmet year round, so no change there.

With that gear, I'm good down to very close to freezing. Below freezing I generally don't ride (although there have been exceptions) because of the risk from black-ice on the road.

Best part - I'm not battling with nor lugging around the weight of the RT. It takes me about 5 minutes (most of the time getting the torx-screwdriver out, and taking the windshield off the shelf) to switch from the summer/fall/spring shield and put the muffs on. Total cost for both was less then $300, giving me a year-round ride. I really don't see how the RT could make the experience better, and can see how it would make it worse (getting older I really appreciate the lighter weight and better foot-visibility of the R12R.)

Ed,

Noticed you have a 2008 Triumph and Side car. Which models are they?

On your question, the rear trunk is a must and the sterio would be questionable. Get extended warranty if possible in your part of the world.

That would be my choice.

"With the right equipment and riding gear - no reason the R12R can't go out and be fun in any weather the RT might go out in. Wunderlich grip-muffs handle the hands (actually wear summer gloves and have to turn the heated grips off, even in 30F temps.) Heated Gerbing jacket liner, the taller Cee-Bailey windshield, a balaclava, and for really cold - I made a heat pad for the seat (Rider-Warehouse must have liked my idea - they offer one now.) I wear a full face helmet year round, so no change there."

thanks for the all the inputs, gents.

the sidecar rig is a 2008 bonnie with a cosy (made in india) car. very happy with it. its quite happy at 65 mph with an adult passenger but its not for touring. its also nice to go shopping with.

http://www.cyclesidecar.com/

8202770009_88b592ff7c.jpg

8029725732_5a8372d3aa_c.jpg

i told the kids that when i croak, they ain't gettin' ****... i want them to be SAD at the funeral.
:)

Last edited:
Depends on needs

Waiting on the Sun to ride here one Sunday morning. I came from an 1977 R100/7 into a 2012 R1200RT Been riding since 1975, lot's of bikes, lots of miles. Reading your posts and responses I thought I'd throw a few observations. You could easily keep your R model and add a bunch of stuff to make it "like an RT" but it still wouldn't be an RT. Those enginners worked pretty hard to make an ultimate sport touring unit. One can complain about the extra wieght and size of the fairing until one rides in the rain and doesn't even get wet! Or ride in the cold and not be the slightest chilled. If you really want to do some touring get the RT, looks like you've got short distance/'naked" covered. Properly designed fairings work better and will yield better fuel economy.
As far as accessorys....I was adamant I'd have no use for a radio, then I had one and ponder how I ever lived without it on long runs. (off when in city etc) I don't use a GPS being old school so I really like the RT tankbag but get it included with purchase as the price is staggering. I ride too hard to deal with passengers and thusly dislike rear trunks as the wieght does affect handling. That and the fact I have stumpy legs and can't clear the trunk when swinging up. On longer missions I strap a dry bag with light stuff to passenger seat/rack. I have no opinion on traction control as I opted out of that. Likewise the anti-theft option.
And yes the RT handles awesome, doesn't feel "heavy" at all once your rolling. I routinely have to pass "sportbikes" (or pull over to let them get way ahead, outta my way) when I am in twisty sections.
Go test drive an RT and make your own call.
Most of all, enjoy the ride!
IMHO

My dealer and I have discussed several times about how often folks buy R12R's, try to add accessories to make them function like an RT, and end up trading in on an RT. For some the R is the ideal bike, but there's a reason (several, actually) the RT is a best seller.

As for options, my #1 recommendation is ASC. It's the sort of thing you hope to never need, but it can save a lot of expensive plastic and road rash.

RT Rider in New England and I ride all year round.

I did put a larger windscreen on as I'm 6'3 and didn't love the wind hitting the top of my helmet. In cold weather without the aftermarket windscreen I needed a balaclava. With the new windscreen I haven't needed it yet. Once it drops below freezing I'm sure I will.

I've ridden in weather down to about 20 degrees (F) for about an hour last Christmas and didn't really mind. It was chilly when the sun went down but between the heated grips and heated seat I was OK. Note that I was wearing proper gear - I've read threads where people complained about cold but were wearing riding jeans and high air flow gloves... That's not going to work.

I had an R. Great bike but not a touring machine IMHO. So I got an RT. Great touring bike. Ask BMW. I believe it's their largest selling model. I like the RT because of the weather protection and all the amenities. If you are going to do long distance rides things like radios, GPS, heated grips, heated seats, etc. make all the difference in the world. For around town I have a 2011 Bonneville T100. Best of both worlds for me.

When I bought my RT I looked at the R also. The RT had everything, and I figured that if I was gonna spend that kind of money, I wanted everything I needed for touring. The RT is heavier, but as stated by others here, when the weather is a problem, the RT is the machine to have.

Best of luck with your search.

In terms of "need to have" equipment for the R1200RT, the only thing I'd offer is the 49L top case. Can't get that on your R1200R. Only mention it because it's an option and because it's $1K ... which is enough to make it significant.

And, depending on the country and the year, either the S1000RR or the R1200GS is BMW's best selling model.

Im not sure I buy into the ability to make an R into an RT and perhaps more importantly, an RT can never sub for some things the R can do with its lighter weight and different handling- like being better on dirt roads, etc..

If you really want an ultimate cold weather tourer and are willing to give up the R's added abilitites and agilities, an RT is top notch, no doubt. I use mine all year in temps down to low 20s which is as cold as it gets here.

If I wanted the dirt and gravel road possibility, I'd keep the R and forget the RT. Whle I've got a few hundred miles on that stuff with my RT, I can tell you its not at all something that bike likes to do and it wears on the rider quickly if the surface has enough soft spots.

I would actually prefer a decent dual sport, mid size, for any off road stuff that nots racing so don't opt for an R. My second BMW is a K1200GT (wedge) and I also ride a K1200RS brick and service the SOs R1100S and ride it once in a while. Non of those have any appreciation for surfaces other than pavement.

Last edited:
Beyond extending your riding season what do you expect from this 'touring' bike?
- distance expectations
- two up or solo

I am a long time Roadster rider and have to ask - Why an RT? Given the rest of your stable I wonder if there are other BMW options you would like better. Depending how you define touring the new F-GT is something I would consider or something in a K like a 1300S.

good points, mika

Beyond extending your riding season what do you expect from this 'touring' bike?
- distance expectations
- two up or solo

I am a long time Roadster rider and have to ask - Why an RT? Given the rest of your stable I wonder if there are other BMW options you would like better. Depending how you define touring the new F-GT is something I would consider or something in a K like a 1300S.

good points,mika.
i will cogitate upon them.
ed

anybody know if any of the 2013 bmw bikes have a redesigned fuel quantity system (fuel strip) or an improved FD?

The RT went to a float-type sender in August 2010. The R bike still uses a fuel strip as far as I've seen.

I did the "tart up an R for touring" route with a 2001 R1150R. The weather protection on the RT is so much more comprehensive there is no comparison. By the time all the accessories are added to the R, you're close to the price of an RT.

On the RT get cruise control and heated grips. Everything else is per personal taste.

Folks,

There seems to be some misinterpreting of what I said. I try to be as precise as I can when writing to the interwebz since that happens.

What I said was "With the right equipment and riding gear - no reason the R12R can't go out and be fun in any weather the RT might go out in."

I didn't say I was suggesting making an R into an RT. I was talking about how useful the R bike is - and that with very minor changes in gear it can be fine to ride in inclement weather (I've done enough of it and enjoyed it.)

Some of us simply don't want an RT. I know lots of people love their RT's and that's good, but I've been there, done that, and I don't want to do it again. My '85 K100RT was a great bike with a limited use - riding in bad weather. Aside from that - for me - it was pretty much a pig. For other people, larger or stronger then me - the extra weight and bulk wasn't an issue. For almost everyone who owned one of them - summer was an issue, the protection was too good, and people baked on the bike.

Some of us don't want a radio on their bike when riding. Long or short distances. If you do - good for you, but accept that your way isn't the only way. As racer7 said 'if you "are willing to give up the R's added abilities and agilities"'.. Well, I'm not. I prize the less is more of riding the R. My bikes went from naked bikes to the RT, and have gone progressively more naked again as I've gotten older. I find no appeal in being total protected from the weather - the weather is part of the reason I enjoy riding vs sitting in a car and pointing it where I want to go. I do backroads, almost everywhere I can. Highways to me are boring. Backroads are fun. R's excel at backroads.

My suggestion to Ed was that he try a few simple and very inexpensive modifications to what he already owns.. with the possibility that he might find these changes (mostly to gear) are all he needs for enjoying his bike year round. If it works - it cost almost nothing to do. If not - the items he bought can be thrown or given away, or resold and he's out very little money.

I'm a member of a forum that is only R1200R riders. (on www.r1150r.org) - and despite was has been stated, I can only think of one of the forum members who went from an R to an RT (perhaps I forgot some, but I don't think so..) There are a lot of the members who went from an RT to an R. There are a few of the members who went from an R to an even more naked bike like a Ducati or other Italian jewelry. There are some members who went to a different bike and came back to the R. In my local club - at the moment, I believe the R's outnumber the RT's and I know they outnumber the GS's. That doesn't prove a thing, except that people are finding the R suits their needs just fine, even in a 4 season climate like NJ, and that was the point of my posting... try what you have first, if it doesn't work then consider getting something else. The R might just surprise Ed.

+1, Don. For some, the R is the ideal bike -- probably would be my first choice for a naked bike.

I personally prefer the RT's format for a number of reasons, as I'm not a naked bike-preferring rider, but that doesn't mean the R is any "less" of a bike or that an RT is a "better" choice over an R.

I'm of the view that *any* bike that lights your personal fire is the "better" bike -- for making *you* happy! :bikes :dance

probably what i'm gonna do is this

keep my r12r and trade my mazda 3 6 speed wagon in on a vw GTI.

appreciate the help, gents
golf-vii-gti-concept-4w.jpg

Back