• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

You have a friend in Lima for the 2005 Rally...

Mike_In_Lima

Greetings;
Pardon me for crashing the party, but hear me out!!
Today I called my buddy Jay, who is the manager of the Allen County Fairgrounds in Lima, Ohio, to inquire about a date for our 16th annual Northwest Ohio Rib CookOff (draws up to 25,000 people over the 12 hours, all day live music/beer/ribs!) and he told me that it would have to be July 16th as July 23rd BMW was coming in.
"BMW who?" I asked. "BMWMOA National Rally" he said.
Stunned silence on my part............."hey, that's GREAT!!!" was the only thing I could get out of my mouth then.

That was about 30 minutes ago, then I found the site and this forum.

Now for the reason that I am here; I happen to NO LONGER own a BMW motorcycle, nor am I a now BMWMOA member (was one many years ago), so I know I am trespassing on the forum, BUT, I know durn near everything you may need to know about this area, what to do, inside tips, resources, food, entertainment, weather, camping, travel times, airports, (stay at the fairgrounds is my suggestion on that one) etc. etc. etc. The tougher the question, the better.

So the only thing I'm doing here, is offering to be your "man on the ground" to help anyone from members/attnedees to Rally committee/staff people, with any advance info you might need. I know a boatload of people from the visitors bureau staff to the local Thai restaurant owner, and have resided here, with some exceptions, seemingly forever.

I'm a proud informal area ambassador and motorcycle enthusiast (currently limited to trail-biking!!) and welcome you to Lima in 2005. Post, email, or private message me, and I'll try to help everyone as I can.
Instead of me suggesting things of interest to people, etc. the easiest thing is for you to tell me specifically what you need to know/are looking for/etc. and I can then make a suggestion. i.e. rather than "what is there to do?", you might ask "recommend a 60 minute loop ride from the fairgrounds" or "who has the best ribs in the area?"!!!

Mike Baker
Lima, Ohio

Last edited:
Contact in Lima

So Mike - I am thinking you will need to get yourself a BMW so you can fit in with the rest of us. :)

Thanks (by the way) for the offer for assistance. I will contact you.

Yeah, for the money, I keep thinking I'll run across an older 750 or 900 twin; however, what I would really like (that fits my riding style) would be a GS model.
I've already told my old Lima buddy who now lives in Vermont, (and who has 4-5 BMW's in his "stable") and I bet he'll ride down!!
Maybe Santa will be good to me!

Mike_In_Lima said:
Maybe Santa will be good to me!

I know Santa personally and he has put over a million miles on BMWs. ;)

I also know of an older 900 twin for sale.

There was a time when I used to have to roll alongside a boxer on the interstate and roll down my window just to listen to the sound of one at 75 mph.......:cry

Jeez, I love this place. Mike, you're going to get a ton of questions about 6 months from now.

I'm up for it. It's right up my alley, and for me kind of a once-in-a-lifetime thing, since it's right in my backyard. I just feel compelled to help people enjoy the Rally experience, since we don't have the mountains/beach/killer locale.
Another idea is to give people some back routes to take when they are about 1 hour out from the site, to get off the highway.
And there IS one more dimension to the story; Red Sims. One of the best motorcyclists, in my opinion. Died a few years ago at about age 87, was still riding up until his cancer was too progressed.
He rode lots of makes, but was always partial to BMW's. He even still had an Isetta engine in his workshop when he died. He was a master welder and consumate mechanic/builder/designer/troubleshooter.
He also built/modified beautiful gas tanks that went on many BMW's, and even put a Subaru car motor on a slash 5 (I think) frame once.
If he had been alive and the BMWMOA Rally was at the fairgrounds, he would be in heaven. He lived about 3 minutes from the 2005 site.
When my high school buddies had problems with their Beemers of Guzzis or Nortons, they would finally take them to Red and he'd get them straightened out. He was one of those "ya gotta do it the right way" kinda guys.
Okay, I've rambled on enough about him. Great guy. I'll tell you about the BMW-based machine he built that I owned sometime.

Mike_In_Lima said:
I think I found my avatar....................

Hi Mike,

Thanks for making yourself available to all of us. Can you give some insight regarding the Fairfield Inn at 2179 Elida Road. How close to the rally site and what is around the inn to see, eat and do if one has such desires at the end of the day.

Avrom Brown

byker said:
Hi Mike,

Thanks for making yourself available to all of us. Can you give some insight regarding the Fairfield Inn at 2179 Elida Road. How close to the rally site and what is around the inn to see, eat and do if one has such desires at the end of the day.

Avrom Brown

The Fairfield is a good choice; fairly new, good shape, located 10 minutes across town from the fairgrounds; it is right in the retail hub, with the mall, three shopping plazas (including another Walmart) lots of restaurants, etc.
The east side of town where the fairgrounds are located is another retail center, but the area at the intersection of Cable and Elida Roads has more stores, etc. There are easily 20 restaurants within blocks of the motel. For non-chain good food/atmosphere, try Burgundys on Cable Road. There is a Bob Evans there for breakfast too, next to the motel.

Hi Mike,

thanks for your help and stepping up.

I think my wife will join me on this rallly and she likes to Hotel it.

So my Question is what is the best clean hotel or motel in the area ?

I don't need a Mariot or Sheraton, A Comfort Inn, Red Roof Inn or such would do fine.

Thanks.

The Wingate Inn, The Hampton Inn, the Fairfield Inn, and the Holiday Inn/Holidome would all be fine. Hampton Inn might be your best choice since it is nice, and you can literally see the fairgrounds from there.

Mike_In_Lima said:
The Wingate Inn, The Hampton Inn, the Fairfield Inn, and the Holiday Inn/Holidome would all be fine. Hampton Inn might be your best choice since it is nice, and you can literally see the fairgrounds from there.

The Hampton Inn is closed - we have completely booked it for the Committee Chairs, MOA Staff, and Ambassadors.

Anyone who would REALLY like to stay there should contact me, as I have several open committees that I still need chairmen for. :evil

Hey Mike...saw you recommended staying at the fairgrounds. Are there restaurants within walking distance and bars within crawling distance of the fairgrounds?

What hotels are nearest the campground?

What are the nearest hotels near the campground and which one would you suggest I stay at.

I like a nice pool (whirlpool is good too!) and restaurants within walking distance.:bliss

THANKS!

The Hampton is all booked up for the Rally, so perhaps the Holidome would be the next best choice. The Wingate downtown (5 minutes from Rally site) has jacuzzi suites for reasonable $.

MBB

Holiday Inn/ Holidome

The Holidome has an indoor pool and a whirlpool in the same area. At Sue's negotiated price of $79. 00 a night this is your best bet. Also within 1 mile of fairgrounds.

Motels to avoid

The only places I would avoid like the plague for various reasons are The Royal Inn, The Imperial Inn, and Colonial Motel. All located in city of Lima.

Back