• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

High Mileage Tires

deineder

I am disappointed to discover that my Pilot Road 3s are wearig out at approx 7000 miles. Can anyone suggest a good high mileage tire for a 2008 R1200RT?

I guess a lot depends on your riding style. I always thought the Pilot road tire to be a good mileage tire. I have a PR3 rear tire on my 06 R12RT with 6k miles, and I would guess I will get at least another 4k out of it before I need to replace. I have a PR 2 on the front with over 12k miles on it. It does need to be replaced as there isn't much tread left. I have run two sets of the Pilot road series tires on a Ducati ST4S as well and found that I got decent mileage on it also, though not as good as on the R12RT. The Ducati is harder to resist the temptation to twist the throttle.:)

I have a set of PR3's on right now and am at just over 18,000 Kms and now am seeing the wear indicators on the rear. Most (80%) of the riding has been fully loaded touring (one up) with a very heavy throttle hand on a good sampling of all the western states twisty roads. Could not be happier with the performance vs wear equation. These tires were first mounted on my 2008 RT in Tucson and they have seen everything from -5C to +45C in the last year.

I am disappointed to discover that my Pilot Road 3s are wearig out at approx 7000 miles. Can anyone suggest a good high mileage tire for a 2008 R1200RT?

On my 2010 RT I tried Metzler & Michelin and never got past 6k on a set so 7k is good. My bike before that ate them the same way and my new GTL looks like it might eat them faster. Be happy with 7k and just think about how much fun you had eating them up.

on my R11RT, I have Metz z6 on the front w 13 K mi, no cupping, and still seems safe. and a z8 on the rear that I'm replacing at +- 6K (virtually all freeway, bike loaded, and hot ambient temps) just because I'm headed out on the road and to a track day. It's hardly squared at all. I want to replace both at the same time before I head out so i don't have to think too much about my tires.

I guess a lot depends on your riding style. I always thought the Pilot road tire to be a good mileage tire. I have a PR3 rear tire on my 06 R12RT with 6k miles, and I would guess I will get at least another 4k out of it before I need to replace. I have a PR 2 on the front with over 12k miles on it. It does need to be replaced as there isn't much tread left. I have run two sets of the Pilot road series tires on a Ducati ST4S as well and found that I got decent mileage on it also, though not as good as on the R12RT. The Ducati is harder to resist the temptation to twist the throttle.:)

Good points! Tire mileage is an equation that looks like this: "Tire brand + riding style + surface features + inflation pressures + bike load = mileage."

As for Michelins, always get 10,000+ miles out of a set. Closest thing to the "high mileage tire" the OP might be looking for, though as I've stated - much more to tire mileage than just what brand you chose.

you forget to mention type of bike and where you ride...helps a lot with understanding the problem.

That said - weight makes all the difference when it comes to longevity. Myself, I got 20k out of fronts and 10k on rears on an 04 HD ElectraGlide using ME880s.

Over on the K1600 forum we've been discussing car tires lately. Some crazy people afflicted with the iron butt disease apparently install car tires that will go 25,000 miles or more on the back of their bikes. I guess if your overriding concern was mileage that's an option. I just can't imagine treating a motorcycle that way.:scratch

Back