• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'85 K100 Starter stuck, what is the secret in getting it to come out?

cy7878

Hi All,

SOrry to start all these threads, but I can't find the answer after long search.

I see that the starter is held by 2 bolts to the gear box housing, which I removed to get the transmission off. But for the life of me, I can't get the starter to slide back as suggested by Youtube videos I watched and in Haynes Manual. I even took a mallet and give it a gentle tap in every direction, but the thing just won't budge.

because the vent cap on the gear box is in the way (or the starter is in the way of the vent cap) I had to tilt the gearbox down and slide it off insead of the directly backward approach. WHen I replace the gear box, I do like to be able to go back in staright to avoid bending the clutch pilot shaft.

So what is the secret? What am I doing wrong? Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
The starter has an O-ring around the nose of the starter. The nose goes into a hole about 3/4". Try twisting slightly as you pull straight back. Slight up and down wiggling can also help.

:dance:dance:dance

because the vent cap on the gear box is in the way (or the starter is in the way of the vent cap) I had to tilt the gearbox down and slide it off insead of the directly backward approach.

I hope you did not bend the clutch release rod that runs through the center of the input shaft.

:dance:dance:dance

Back