• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Brown sidestand

rogermansfield

beemerfield
I mounted my new Brown sidestand yesterday on 1970 R75/5SWB. I had to raise the left footpeg to provide clearance for the sidestand spring. It also appears that the spring will interfere with the "footspace" between the peg and shifter. As there were no installation instructions, I am just going by memory of another bike I looked at weeks ago. Also, the motor/footpeg mounting bolt could be a little longer to accomodate the extra part. Do I need to find a different mounting bolt?

OK- thanks for the responses, but I don't see how this helps. I picked up some longer engine mounting bolts from Re-Psyche at Mid-Ohio this weekend. (Thanks guys!) That should help get enough threading to properly attach bolts.

The real issue is when the stand is in the up position, the spring and "spring holding pins" will hit the bottom of the footpeg when it is in the lowest position. So, the obvous resolution is to raise the footpeg. This creates an issue with the position of the shift lever. Also it looks like the spring may even interfere with shifting as it will at least partially block the "footspace".

Another resolution is to buy rearsets like the ones I saw on another /5/Brown sidestand combo I saw this weekend. I don't want to do that option though.

Strange that the stand pieces hits the footpeg. I don't remember people mentioning that...usually it's about the clamp around the exhaust. Hopefully there's not something else wrong with your setup.

OK after a couple of test rides I find that I did have to raise my footpeg a notch which affects shifting with boots. The spring did not seem to interfere however. It sure beats having no sidestand after several years!

Back