• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Blue Ridge Mid May from Eastern Canada

jpk1100

We are planning to tour the Blue Ridge Parkway mid-May, leaving from Quebec City, Province of Quebec, Canada.

We are planning to stop at Philadelphia then Virginia Beach, then the Blue Ridge, then back home.

Any recommendation? Is this a good date?

JPK1100 Canada

JPK

Weather should be beautiful. We're already in the 70's down here. There are a few portions of the parkway that are closed because of last years hurricanes, so you'll need to check. Have fun :) .

Blue Ridge Mid May form Eastern Canada

Thank you. The Parway officials gave me the area where there are closures (about 20 miles in all).

Thanks again.

From VA BCH to the Blue Ridge

If you're leaving the Beach headed to the Blue Ridge Parkway, take the southern route. Route 460 due west takes you through some nice rolling countryside and into Lynchburg. Than go north on Rt29 a little to Amherst, VA, then west on Rt 60 staight up to the parkway. 60 is a great road.

If you're looking to stay somwhere out there, stay on 60 past the Parkway to the town of Buena Vista. As you enter town there is a local motel, clean and cheap, on the right called the Buena Vista Motel. Local places to eat, get grociries, etc. Then back up 60 eastbound puts you right back on the Parkway.

VA Beach Mid May????

You don't happen to be going to any kind of convention then do you? I'll be there then with LTS, be nice to have a fellow beemer to talk with.

Here's a great site to the entire parkway with everything of interest to do, places to stay etc.

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/default.htm
has and excellent set of maps as well.

Also I highly recomend this place for a stop over one night. Best views from the rooms that can be had along the parkway, esp for the price. Very freindly (plan on good half hour of conversation before even seeing your room ! :D )

The Alpine Inn

I've stayed there twice and each visit was great. Just about the best deal you'll find anywhere along the parkway, and just a half-mile from the parkway itself. I simply can't recommend it enough.

This was something I wrote after my second visit there
Images From The Alpine Inn

Also there is Grandfather Mountain that has a very cool switchback road leading to the top with a swinging bridge across two peaks that is a mile high.

Lots of nice little trails leading to some wonderful waterfalls, and a few of the trails are an easy 20 minute walk.

Stop often, enjoy the views, take lots of pics and take your time; that is, after, all why it was built in the first place. A place to get away, to relax and take it slow and enjoy the wonders of nature.

Enjoy

RM

Just do it

I've just returned from a trip on the lower blue ridge and the Smokies. Don't forgret to do the Gap, just so you can say you did. After many trips in many places, I just haven't found a way to beat those Appalacian mountains. The Blue ridge and the Smokies are just beyond words in beauty. You actually overload your senses with the beauty of creation. And what roads you can find if you get off the beaten path. Plan the most popular roads (Deals Gap and such) for during the week to avoid crowds and more intense police activity. Try to get to the Wheels of Time museum in Maggie Valley, NC. and the Barber Sports Museum in Birmingham AL. if at all possible.

Back