• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Adventure Sidecar S/TEP training

WU7X

I just spent one of the most fun weekends of the year down in Hood River, OR. I attended the Adventure Sidecar S/TEP training course. This is an Evergreen Safety Council sanctioned event. There were seven students and two instructors. The training was incredibly well set up; Friday evening was spent going through motorcycle fundamentals. Saturday morning found us in a field sharing three sidecars, four actually. Two of the students, a father and son team, brought their Ural and used it throughout the weekend. The other hacks were composed of two KLR's and a Suzuki Bandit! We spent a big part of the day getting used to driving and riding in hacks. The afternoon was spent finishing up rules and regs of sidecar driving. On Sunday morning and early afternoon, with Mt. Adams basking in the background, we drove the sidecars without a monkey. The techniques taught became more complicated and the driving situations more complex. The afternoon ended with the seven students being tested on their driving skills. Everyone passed!

Throughout the three day event, Vernon and Monica, our two instructors, kept us busy and upbeat. Their ability to pass on the knowledge and skills needed to be a competent beginning hack driver is unsurpassed. Vernon has posted some pictures of the event at: www.adventuresidecar.smugmug.com . If you want to see a sampling of the fun we had, I recommend you check out that site. I'm the handsome fellow in the neon yellow jacket.

I took advantage of Vern's offer to spend the weekend in one of his tipi's. It was just an incredible time! And as a special bonus, the food Vern cooked up was delicious! listening to the rain drops strike the sides of the tipi was very soothing after a hard day's work learning how to handle a hack. The place was like Camelot, it rained during the night and was (mostly) dry during the day. The sun came out totally on Sunday to make that the perfect test weather for the weekend.

I strongly recommend this kind of training to anyone considering driving a hack. I came home ready to start driving it around and having fun. I am now confident that i have the skills to be a safe, good beginning driver.

Say what? I'm not 'literite" enough to write

Thanks for the offer, but I am one of the world's worst writers. Do you have a ghost writer in the wings to buff it up? :violin

That sounds very interesting, can you write an article and send in to Vince for the magazine?

S/TEP class = license endorsement

I dropped by my WA state license office yesterday and upgraded my sidecar permit to a permanent license. I brought in my Evergreen Safety Council S/TEP card, signed by one of my instructors, and passed over $25 for the upgrade. I'm now good for both motorcyles and sidecars/trikes!

I really feel that just as taking a basic MSF class is critical before riding your bike on the road, attending and passing the S/TEP course is critical for becoming a safe beginning driver of a hack. And it's fun!

Interesting..with the graying of MOA members..more and more will be going to some sort of 3rd wheel (multitrack) activity..and with States recognizing the fact that 'hacks' and 'trikes' act differently than motorcycles now requiring different license endorsement accordingly. I'm surprised that that the MOA hasn't announced that they will provide multitrack training at future Rallies.

Clay,

I agree with you 100%. I read a post on another site that stated most sidecar accidents occur within the first several thousand miles of ownership. Riding a bike and driving a hack require completely different skill sets. I truly appreciate my MSF training for riding my Motorcycle. I also believe a S/TEP course should be required for driving a sidecar setup. I am proud of the state of Washington for taking a lead in this ares.

My number one priority is always to get home safe. Ride safe!

Interesting..with the graying of MOA members..more and more will be going to some sort of 3rd wheel (multitrack) activity..and with States recognizing the fact that 'hacks' and 'trikes' act differently than motorcycles now requiring different license endorsement accordingly. I'm surprised that that the MOA hasn't announced that they will provide multitrack training at future Rallies.

I would love to do this training as I am taking possession of a R60/2 sidecar set-up.

I live in Toronto, Canada so going to Oregon is a bit far.

Anyone hear of anything on the East coast or Canada?

Back