• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MSF New Rider Class

I have a 15 year old son who will turn 16 the week after the rally. He can ride with my wife and I as a permitted learner after April of this year. I think I read in ON that if he registers for the National early enough he can take the New Rider MSF class, free. Can anyone verify this?
Thanks
John Sutton

Jeff Dean, the chair of the MSF committee at the rally is on this board. If you send him a PM, he'll probably shoot you a message.

I think the BMW MOAF is sponsoring a camp for new riders called GEARS. Check it out here.

RenoJohn said:
I have a 15 year old son who will turn 16 the week after the rally. He can ride with my wife and I as a permitted learner after April of this year. I think I read in ON that if he registers for the National early enough he can take the New Rider MSF class, free. Can anyone verify this?
Thanks
John Sutton

Hello John,

Typically the BMW MOA has offered the MSF Experienced Rider Course at our International Rallies, not the Basic Rider Course.

The Basic Rider Course is usually offered over two or two and a half days and involves classroom and riding on the range exercises, usually on the school's motorcycle of 250 ccs or less. The Experienced Rider Course is a one day affair, done on your own motorcycle. Last year at Charleston we offeered our members the new ciriculum ERC, which has done away with the classroom portion in favor of expanded riding instruction.

Your son would be well served by taking the BRC as soon as he is eligible. No matter what the cost of the program, it will be a lot less than the cost of figuring it out himself or the cost of a visit to the ER.

Hope to see you in Spokane.

Michael Friedle
MSF Instructor/Rider Coach
BMW MOA Board of Directors
Airheads Beemer Club Board of Directors

Camp GEARS

Camp GEARS clearly states ages 16-26.
Held 2 days prior to rally.
Course is free plus free rally admission.

From http://www.msf-usa.org I found http://www.nevadarider.com/ which says "For Reno, call Truckee Meadows Community College at (775) 829-9010" and that no classes are scheduled til April. It looks like they're still using the RSS (most states have switched to the BRC, still MSF). Contact them to see just when you son can take the course as some states allow them to take it prior to turning 16.

Also, have him check out Camp GEARS http://www.bmwmoafoundation.org/CampGEARS.html

Joe 70cuda@email.com

I used to teach the MSF class at TMCC and at Western Nevada Community College (down in Carson City). Give them a call and they'll help you out. You'll have more luck getting him into the class down at WNCC and they have a better range than any of the ones up in Reno. If you're even considering it, sign up NOW if possible - the classes fill up very quickly.

I vaguely remember teaching a 15 year old - the rule was that the student had to have completed a driver's education course and have parental permission. But check with the colleges to be sure. The classes should run around $100.

Camp GEARS clearly states ages 16-26.
First off, chill dude it will be okay. Camp Trenton had people under 16 in it as well.

Renojohn, if you and your wife can swing it, get there a few days early for your son to participate in Camp Gears. I was part of the Camp Trenton program that the foundation put on and had a lot of fun. It would be very informative for someone who hasn't had a lot of experience yet. Thats also how I hooked up with the Yankee Beemers, so you may have to worry about what kind of Riff-Raff your son meets :)

The classes should run around $100.
Wow! It only cost like 20 or 25 bucks out here in Indiana. I think that ABATE helps to sponsor it or something though.

The classes should run around $100.
Wow! It only cost like 20 or 25 bucks out here in Indiana. I think that ABATE helps to sponsor it or something though.

The price varies depending on overhead costs and state subsidies. The same class in some states is more than $200.

Back