• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mystery symbol on instrument cluster

J

jonomck

I have a mystery symbol that intermittantly goes on and off. It looks like a exclamation mark with left and right arrows on either side. It's not in my owners manual and I don't know what it is. Help anyone? Looks like this:

<!>

Thanks!

I have a mystery symbol that intermittantly goes on and off. It looks like a exclamation mark with left and right arrows on either side. It's not in my owners manual and I don't know what it is. Help anyone? Looks like this:

<!>

Thanks!

It's a warning symbol. It could be your oil sensor says you need oil, you need gas, or something else.

Time to take a look at the manual, man. :thumb

It's a warning symbol. It could be your oil sensor says you need oil, you need gas, or something else.

Time to take a look at the manual, man. :thumb

As I said in my post: It's not in the manual- I read it from cover to cover....:dunno

Are you getting any other warning lights? What kind of bike do you have?

My RT only lights it up when I need oil or gas.

It's a 2005 R1200RT. No other lights. The symbol is not in any color- just black symbols and it comes and goes....

OMG!!!!! I just found it in the manual!!!!!!!

Sorry, never mind:banghead

Oil warning? Cycle through the BC selections until you get the oil level. It should be either a check, two dashes "--" or the warning symbol.

Take a second to fill out your profile and you might make some new riding friends. :buds

Just Oil

I too have an '05 R1200RT. That symbol is for a low oil level - nothing else.

Low fuel is indicated by the yellow placard and flashing gas pump symbol.

Oil MAY be low - if bike was on an incline when the computer took the reading, you might have sufficient oil - wait for another opportunity for the computer to 'read' the level and report back.

If oil indicates low, you will only need a dixie-cup's worth of lube to be added once home - that is usually enough to snuff out the warning.

Good Luck!

OMG!!!!! I just found it in the manual!!!!!!!

Sorry, never mind:banghead

Don't sweat it my friend. At least once a day I look in the refrigerator and yell to my wife that we're out of some condiment, beverage, or delicacy...she insists that it's in there...I swear up and down that it isn't...she says I'm not looking...I bet her thousands of imaginary dollars...she says I'm an idiot...I slam the door in disgust...she comes in all huffy, opens the door, pulls out the item in question, and slams it down triumphantly. It's not your fault...you have a genetic disposition towards overlooking menial details...you hunt...you gather...embrace it:thumb

Don't sweat it my friend. At least once a day I look in the refrigerator and yell to my wife that we're out of some condiment, beverage, or delicacy...she insists that it's in there...I swear up and down that it isn't...she says I'm not looking...I bet her thousands of imaginary dollars...she says I'm an idiot...I slam the door in disgust...she comes in all huffy, opens the door, pulls out the item in question, and slams it down triumphantly. It's not your fault...you have a genetic disposition towards overlooking menial details...you hunt...you gather...embrace it:thumb

I have no idea what you're talking about. :dunno

:D

Yesterday, as I was leaving for town in my pickup (it's an older Freightliner, but still my pickup), I got warnings...two of them. Then the engine died. It cranked, started, and I returned to the yard, let it warm well, no apparent leaks, and no more warnings. I went to town.

Today, I got the same thing. After I got to town, I decided it might be good if I looked in the manual. Hey, I only been driving the truck for 6 years, so I'm still getting to know it!

Turns out it has a sensor on the coolant tank. I was low on coolant. Not a dixie cup in a Freightliner...more like a gallon, and no where near the danger area, but low, none the less.

Sometimes, those manuals can be tricky little devils. No, I don't read instruction very well for anything....

Gary,

Yes, I know, I was suppose to be on the bike, but it was raining.... Still not a good enough excuse? I was shopping for an engine? Beyond that, I could fabricate....???

I too have an '05 R1200RT. That symbol is for a low oil level - nothing else.

Low fuel is indicated by the yellow placard and flashing gas pump symbol.

Oil MAY be low - if bike was on an incline when the computer took the reading, you might have sufficient oil - wait for another opportunity for the computer to 'read' the level and report back.

If oil indicates low, you will only need a dixie-cup's worth of lube to be added once home - that is usually enough to snuff out the warning.

Good Luck!

This drove me crazy for the first year I had my 05 RT. You might check to see if yours has had the upgrade, which consists of putting a new float on the switch which measures the oil level. Once that was done on mine, the warning light went away except when the oil is actually nearing the lower end of the sight glass. The newer models (06 and up) come with the new and improved float switch already.

Appreciate the Advice

Thanks for the updated info. I suspect I do NOT have the upgrade you speak of, and will discuss it with my mechanic next visit to the dealership.

Again, thanks for the headsup of the oil level warning - it is touchy, and does annoy me more than a little.

Safe Riding!

In addition to the new float, there is also a related software upgrade necessary. On my early '06, this caused the electric windshield to stop working - so you might check that before you leave the dealer as it is an easy fix. Also by design, the oil level reading will now only be available when the bike is stopped (unless the level is low) - but it will be an accurate reading.

As Hugh said, after the fix the warning should only come on when the level is below or near the bottom of the sight glass. Adding about 8 oz. at that point brings it to the middle.

Hopefully, you are still under warranty and can have the upgrade done on BMW's dime.
Tom

Thanks, Tom from MD

Yup - still under warranty. 22,000 miles in 2 midwest riding seasons. I'll address this issue in my spring visit to the dealer, when I get my third set of tires, oil change, FD inspection, other maintenance, etc.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Back