• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil sale

ISAMEMON

Grammarian no, Rider yes
FIRST let me say that this is not intended to be a thread on which brand oil, etc etc. But from everything I know , these old airheads need SG rated oil ( high zddp)
yes I know thats another argument , for another thread

ok that said,

today I went to autozone to get some SG rated oil
. They did not stock much in SG oils.

so I looked at the moto specific oils, and found the castrol 20/50 4T, thats cool, I used to run castro 20/50 when it was still SG rated

it was on a unadvertised sale price of 2.99 a qt. ($2 off per quart) I bought all 5 qts that they had in stock
now maybe you dont agree with the oil choice, that is a real different thread and argument

for those that want, I guess, flame on and open a can of worms

but if you do use it, adn agree that SG is important, then get it while its on sale

ok
remeber , this is not a what brand oil thread, just a heads up for those of you that run this oil

You're crazy to run that oil in your airhead. Why don't you send it to me and I'll give you what you paid for it! :thumb

Better yet, hire a lawyer(one experienced in oil thread law suits) and then make your statements for others to shoot you down!:brow Best to be prepared.

Worth checking in Pep Boys as they seem to routinely have Castrol 4T 20w50 Motorcycle Oil in 4.0 liter/4.2 US quart containers on ÔÇ£specialÔÇØ for less than $13.00 although this ÔÇ£specialÔÇØ never seems to be available on their website or get broadly advertised.

Better yet, hire a lawyer(one experienced in oil thread law suits) and then make your statements for others to shoot you down!:brow Best to be prepared.

run whatever oil you want, run beer piss if you want ,I dont care , Im not selling it, nor do I install it for a living, , so I will not have to see a lawyer bout it
you want it , here is the deal, you dont then walk away
simple as that
quick and easy, lemon squeezy
otherwise find an "oil" thread

Thanks for the tip! I picked up SG rated Valvoline 20W-50 at our local Mills Fleet Farm this spring for $4.99. 3 miles drive when I have an AutoZone just round the corner. Looks like I have a Saturday trip to put in the planner to see if they too have the nice price.

Good deal man. I got my Valvoline dino for $2.00 off at Autozone about 6 weeks ago. I complemented the ZDDP content with 100cc of Lucas break-in oil. It's the best ZDDP additive deal around, $8 should last about 3-4 years.

But, just to keep trying to make this into an oil thread, I swore a year ago I'd never go beyond the Valvoline ZDDP content...The break-in oil just seemed like a good deal. The NAPA guy praised my "babying" of the solid lifters.

The only thing that concerns me about aftermarket additives is the science that goes into blending oil to begin with. Depending on how the two products react, it may or may not be a good thing to do. Also, is more ZDDP necessarily a good thing?? :dunno There may be a point of diminishing returns and even if it does mix in well, it may provide little benefit and only lighten your wallet.

My $0.02...

As to the notion of what is good or enough, etc. in oil additives, I remember years ago when the SCCA payed to get oils tested & passed on recommendations to members. I was running Wolfshead from Napa @ like 17 cents a quart in a 1275cc engine with a large investment involved.
My point ,taken from the above "what floats additive comment",is that perhaps the MOA could actually get involved in such helpful endeavors?
Now, back to the "non-oil thread".

There have been several oil related articles reported in the ON. Specifically, the following, where xx.yy.zz means month.year.page:

Oil 7.80.21 (rec), 6.81.30, 1.84.19, 8.86.26, 10.86.32, 1.87.44, 7.89.65
Oil additives 8.87.58
Oil, SG, new classification 3.89.64
Oil, discussion of specifications 6.99.24
Oil, independent chemical analysis by Jeffrey DiCarlo 10.99.15
Oil, follow up analysis by Matt Parkhouse 1.02.34
Oil Analysis Update - ZDDP, Aug 2009
Oil Analysis Update - Report on ASTM testing, Nov 2009

Admittedly, some reports are dated but should be current as far as requirements and needs. IIRC, Paul Glaves may have written about oil and requirements, but I'm not sure when that was.

Oak has published his thoughts on oils in the Airheads magazine:

Oil Additives, Apr 2009

.... so I looked at the moto specific oils, and found the castrol 20/50 4T, thats cool, I used to run castro 20/50 when it was still SG rated

it was on a unadvertised sale price of 2.99 a qt. ($2 off per quart) I bought all 5 qts that they had in stock .... just a heads up for those of you that run this oil
Just want to point out that the Castrol 4T 20w50 is in a Liter bottle, not quart. So, you are getting a little bit more oil in each bottle. Don't over fill.

What going to last longer?

My 35 year old Airhead seems to have an endless lifespan! As I grow older into my 60s now, I figure the old twin will outlast me and then some. Oil in the motor has been all over the place, from auto oil to mc oil and I'm beginning to think it doesn't matter anymore, as this bike has my number in years and will win. My newer GSA gets mc Valvoline and even the old Airhead now too, same oil. KLR too, same oil here:). I keep it simple, all bikes same oil brand:). 380000 now on my Airhead, so it really just likes the oil kept on the full mark, not much else. Randy:thumb:dance

My 35 year old Airhead seems to have an endless lifespan! As I grow older into my 60s now, I figure the old twin will outlast me and then some. Oil in the motor has been all over the place, from auto oil to mc oil and I'm beginning to think it doesn't matter anymore, as this bike has my number in years and will win. My newer GSA gets mc Valvoline and even the old Airhead now too, same oil. KLR too, same oil here:). I keep it simple, all bikes same oil brand:). 380000 now on my Airhead, so it really just likes the oil kept on the full mark, not much else. Randy:thumb:dance

Thank You..............

These threads crack me up.:D

As anal as most airhead owners seem to be about oil changing and maintenance.

I'm beginning to think you could run about anything slippery in these motors, since it never stays in there very long any way.:nyah

Back