• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wall Mounted Route Map

Darryl Cainey

Sir Darby
Here is a photo of my BMW Routes & Pin Map
Over 100 rally Pins collected since 1987
430,000 miles traveled on my 1977 R100RS

Anyone else display their travels?

Attachments

• Pin Map 002.jpg
    Pin Map 002.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 162
I tried it once on a map like yours but gave up. Not enough detail on the map to find my routes and some areas of the US that I had been to 5 or 6 times turned into a big blob.

Really nice trophy wall!
A question though, you haven't been to manic cinq or done the james bay road?
With all that travel - what was your favorite road/ride?

I was totin' my pack along the dusty Winnemucca road,
When along came a semi with a high an' canvas-covered load.
"If you're goin' to Winnemucca, Mack, with me you can ride."
And so I climbed into the cab and then I settled down inside.
He asked me if I'd seen a road with so much dust and sand.
And I said, "Listen, I've traveled every road in this here land!"

[Chorus:]
I've been everywhere, man.
I've been everywhere, man.
Crossed the desert's bare, man.
I've breathed the mountain air, man.
Of travel I've had my share, man.
I've been everywhere.

I've been to:
Reno, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota,
Buffalo, Toronto, Winslow, Sarasota,
Wichita, Tulsa, Ottawa, Oklahoma,
Tampa, Panama, Mattawa, La Paloma,
Bangor, Baltimore, Salvador, Amarillo,
Tocapillo, Baranquilla, and Perdilla, I'm a killer.

[Chorus]

I've been to:
Boston, Charleston, Dayton, Louisiana,
Washington, Houston, Kingston, Texarkana,
Monterey, Faraday, Santa Fe, Tallapoosa,
Glen Rock, Black Rock, Little Rock, Oskaloosa,
Tennessee to Tennesse Chicopee, Spirit Lake,
Grand Lake, Devils Lake, Crater Lake, for Pete's sake.

[Chorus]

I've been to:
Louisville, Nashville, Knoxville, Ombabika,
Schefferville, Jacksonville, Waterville, Costa Rica,
Pittsfield, Springfield, Bakersfield, Shreveport,
Hackensack, Cadillac, Fond du Lac, Davenport,
Idaho, Jellico, Argentina, Diamantina,
Pasadena, Catalina, see what I mean-a.

[Chorus]

I've been to:
Pittsburgh, Parkersburg, Gravelbourg, Colorado,
Ellensburg, Rexburg, Vicksburg, Eldorado,
Larimore, Admore, Haverstraw, Chatanika,
Chaska, Nebraska, Alaska, Opelika,
Baraboo, Waterloo, Kalamazoo, Kansas City,
Sioux City, Cedar City, Dodge City, what a pity.

Ya think Cash had a wall map?:laugh

Hmmm

Here is a photo of my BMW Routes & Pin Map
Over 100 rally Pins collected since 1987
430,000 miles traveled on my 1977 R100RS

Anyone else display their travels?

Looks like you've missed British Columbia and Washington state. Well, I tell you my friend, you've missed a lot of great motorcycle roads. And you've also been a lot of places!

Www.destinationhighways.com For some great roads in BC, Washington, California.

Neil

Really nice trophy wall!

Never heard of manic cinq, will have to look that up!

Isn't the James Bay Rd. all gravel? Not too good with a RS pulling a trailer.

Looks like you've missed British Columbia and Washington state. Well, I tell you my friend, you've missed a lot of great motorcycle roads. And you've also been a lot of places!

Www.destinationhighways.com For some great roads in BC, Washington, California.

Neil

We caught the lower tip of BC coming back from the Montana Rally, the plan is to do more.
I did all my travels while still working a job, plan to retire soon so more riding is in the works after 2 knee surgeries.

Did the coastal ride in California from Oregon down to Eugene across Sacremento to lake Tahoe, maybe hard to see on the map.

Really nice trophy wall!

Actually this is my Trophy Wall , not bragging!

Attachments

• Trophy Wall 004.jpg
    Trophy Wall 004.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 107
Excellent ! Mary and I have been talking about the map part (my life would have to be more focused to get the rest of the stuff :laugh). The map that you have would be perfect but I do wish that the north east side extended just a wee bit more so that all of our rides, because they begin and end in Nova Scotia, can fit on one map :whistle I won't post a picture of that rag-tag display that we have in the barn/shop. Good job! - Bob

Excellent ! Mary and I have been talking about the map part (my life would have to be more focused to get the rest of the stuff :laugh). The map that you have would be perfect but I do wish that the north east side extended just a wee bit more so that all of our rides, because they begin and end in Nova Scotia, can fit on one map :whistle I won't post a picture of that rag-tag display that we have in the barn/shop. Good job! - Bob

Yes, it's unnerving when you ride off the map!;)

Isn't the James Bay Rd. all gravel? Not too good with a RS pulling a trailer.

Someone correct me but I'm certain my late friend Hubert (who rode it at least twice) told me that the James Bay Road was all pavement, although, very, very rough pavement, if my memory serves me correctly (of course as the years pass, my memory is no longer my best friend :laugh). If I ever travel that road, it is one that I wish to do with a riding partner, as you are really in the wilderness on that road. Again, I could be wrong, but I believe the days are numbered for that road as I think I read that Hydro Quebec might be flooding that area with a new power station in the future.

I have done the map thing a couple of times but it is a tad too big to really display in our house. However, I have a different exhibition of my travels; my bathroom. My bathroom is about 5'x6'; quite small. I have a lot of mounted 5x7 and 8x10 photographs of various places and people that I have visited, met or hung out with over the years. My four kids think the bathroom is quite idiotic, my wife thinks it's rather unique. Here are two of the walls. Next year the bike and my portrait will be moved to make room for additional photos.

Attachments

• Bathroom.jpg
    Bathroom.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 103
Very nice Paul, we have understanding Wives!:whistle:laugh

Later this morning Darryl, I realized that our living room wall documents some of my 2011 rides. Rode through the US southwest and up the Pacific coast and then home, then Bloomsburg Rally, home again and then left for Quebec City. From there headed over to the Gaspe Bay area, the Bay of Fundy, PEI and Cape Breton's Cabot Trail. Saw both oceans that summer. A wall in the garage is also dedicated to riding photos. I decorate the front hall with larger pictures of our travels. Something to smile about during our non-riding winters. I used to spend my summers taking wedding photographs but now when couples call, I tell them I'm booked for whichever date they need covered. At my age :gerg, I'd hate to miss out on a ride because of a job!

Attachments

• 2011 Trips.jpg
    2011 Trips.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 93
Last year as we were leaving the driveway to the MOA rally we talked about the hot weather and how much I hate it. So we decided to go north and find some cool temps. We ended up at Baie-Comeau QC. Camped at a brand new campground (Centre Bor?®al du St-Laurentmore infoStation 3, av Denonville Baie-Comeau). Temps like fall in Mass :). Then headed up to Manic Cinq - 215 K of twisties. It was a grand trip, missed going to the rally but really enjoyed Canada.

This years trip is the James Bay road, paved the whole way and you get to touch the arctic ocean via James Bay via Hudson Bay
http://jamesbayroad.com/radisson/index.html

Attachments

• Manc Cinq.jpg
    Manc Cinq.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 53
Very Nice. I have one where I put the pins where I got them, I like your's better. Wish I saw this earlier as this would be a nice winter project. Maybe next winter..:thumb

Back