• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'09 R1200RT Throttle Body Synchronizing

duer

I've a '09 R1200RT. I'd like to use a Carb Synchronizer (rubber tubes that show the vacuum draw with a manometer) to check the throttle body balance.

I have JB's video showing the TwinMax Unit in operation.
Has anyone used / tried the manometer type of system successfully?

Cheers,

Duer

I've a '09 R1200RT. I'd like to use a Carb Synchronizer (rubber tubes that show the vacuum draw with a manometer) to check the throttle body balance.

Cheers,

Duer

Hundreds of times, going back to a /6. On the R1200 I hear it is almost never necessary done once right. Don Eilenberger will be along shortly to explain.

Cheers,

Duer
Welcome to the forum!
As it sounds like your doing your own wrenching, it would probably help you to take a peek at the Hex/Cam DIY section-
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/forumdisplay.php?44-Hexheads-Camheads-DIY-Tech-Library
I mention this as it seems many miss this sub-forum.
Enjoy.
Gary

Thanks Fellas,

What I'm getting after looking thru the Camheads DIY/Tech Library is everyone is uses the TwinMax Throttle Body Synchronizer Tool.

So that tells me, my idea of using a vacuum carb tester with separate tubes that pull up a fluid level to indicate the amount of vacuum is a bad idea?

I then need to buy a Twin Max - Correct?

Duer

I don't think is a bad idea, just easier with the TM. We used to make up a rig back in the day to do the 4 cylinder Hondas......That was when it was kinda Voodoo :)
Generally the better the test gear, the better the end result. Maybe someone from your area has one and will offer to give you a hand.
OM

There are many possible ways to measure two vacuum sources. Twin Max, Carb Tune, Harmonizer, Carb Stix (Mercury colums). and home made stuff. I have a Mercury carb stix and a Twin Max. I use them both.

So what specifically do you mean when you say "separate tubes that pull up a fluid level to indicate the amount of vacuum".

That describes a Carb Stix with labratory Mercury as the fluid which is the standard "inches of Mercury" or "centimeters of Mercury" by which all others could be calibrated. But it also describes all sorts of Rube Goldberg hose and water or hose and ATF contraptions that also work if executed well and properly.

The response from you fellas is really great...

Yea, I'm out here with a great BMW, however, no one else has one.
Or they are afraid to do the maintenance or it just doesn't get done??
The dealer is 2-1/2 hours away and charges $115 an hour. That's taxes included in CDN $.

I need to take a picture of what I've got out in the shop.
It's been a long day for me and I'll post a picture of the test instrument in the morning.
You can have a look at it and see if I'm on the same page... LOL

As a matter of fact, we used it on an old 500cc Honda 4 cylinder.
So I think we're talking the same thing.

Thanks fellas, it's appreciated.
Have a good night.

Duer

Fellas, I'm back had to go out to check something in the shop so....

Here's what I've got to measure vacuum with...

I've also no idea if what I'm doing to insert a pic is correct, but here goes...
I'm only seeing text at this point, but here goes.

Let me know your verdict on the outcome of hooking this baby up to the throttle body vac port??

Duer

DSC_7968.jpg

Fellas, I'm back had to go out to check something in the shop so....

Here's what I've got to measure vacuum with...

I've also no idea if what I'm doing to insert a pic is correct, but here goes...
I'm only seeing text at this point, but here goes.

Let me know your verdict on the outcome of hooking this baby up to the throttle body vac port??

Duer

View attachment 51921

That should work just fine!

Thanks Paul,

Now I can spend the Synchronizer money on a GS911.
Sounds like the 911 is the only way to really see what is taking place on the electronic monitoring of the bike.
As well as the only way to reset the Service Reminder without visiting the dealer.
Would you agree?

Duer

Make sure your valves are properly adjusted before synching the TBs. If they are significantly out of tolerance it can affect the TB synch.

Once properly set both the valves and TBs tend to stay properly set.

Thanks Paul,

Sounds like the 911 is the only way to really see what is taking place on the electronic monitoring of the bike.
As well as the only way to reset the Service Reminder without visiting the dealer.
Would you agree?

Duer

I'm not aware of anything else besides the dealer's computer that can do what the GS-911 can do.
It can reset the service reminders and run a bunch of other tests, read fault codes etc.
( my 07 doesn't have the dealer extortion reminder :) )

It's a very impressive tool and the people at Hexcode really listen to their customers and are constantly improving it.

Thanks Paul,

Would you agree?

Duer

You'll find the GS-911 to be a great tool. One of its most powerful capabilities is that it can report realtime values from all the sensors and BMSK. When you have a problem that will give you a lot of insight.

If I were going to use the balance tool you have, I would make the balance adjustment and then swap then left and right hoses and rerun the test, to make sure there was no instrument error between the two channels of instrument.

What is desired is a "differential" measurement. Your tool makes two separate "single-ended" measurements. If it were me and I wanted to save money, rather than use the tool you have I would make a homemade "U-tube" manometer out of a long single piece of tube filled with something like ATF. That will give you the ability to make a true differential measurement.

Roger 04 RT

Thanks for the home built idea. I noticed that on my tester, the tubes have their own metering orfices that restrict the flow. I would need to cobble something similar to prevent sucking the ATF into the bike TB, which 'would not be good'. But, after your swap out suggestion - the light came on - or maybe it's more like a low glimmer in my case - LOL. It's the delta that your measuring not the individual vacuum draw measurement.The individual manometer tube system might not work so well, but's it's worth a go.
Thanks for the great suggestions and thought. The MOA forum gets top marks from me.
Now, I've got to get out there and do it.

If I were going to use the balance tool you have, I would make the balance adjustment and then swap then left and right hoses and rerun the test, to make sure there was no instrument error between the two channels of instrument.

What is desired is a "differential" measurement. Your tool makes two separate "single-ended" measurements.

I'm not sure I agree. Swapping hoses does no harm of course but I doubt the need. I often use my Carb Stix which uses two hoses and rising columns of fluid (Mercury). The pulsing is obvious but getting the column heights equal is still simple. I find the Carb Stix easier to use and less fussy and more accurate than my Twin Max. So does Tom Cutter per a recent email list post.

Motion Pro sells good stuff and their Synchpro gets good reviews as best I could find. If I had my choice between a Synchpro and a 10 foot tubing aparatus on my garage wall I'd take the Synchpro.

I hear you Paul, and experience counts. If it works well, I can't object.

From my experience, if you are trying to get two quantities to be exactly equal, you're better off using one instrument rather than two. For instance if you have two adjustable power supplies, it's better to put the negative lead of your DVM on one and the positive lead on the other. It allows you to select a more sensitive range on the DVM. In voltage terms, you can make the difference measurement on the 1V range rather than the 20V range. The same is true with vacuum measurement one instrument connected to both can be more sensitive than two instruments, on the homemade device you can use a lower mass fluid.

Whether the extra sensitivity matters or not, I leave to those like you with more experience.

Last edited:
Back