• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RT vs GS

bdfbeemer

RT in NC
What are the main riding differences between the RT and GS? The electric windscreen and fairing are nice on the RT. I maninly stay on paved roads. Why is the GS "better" on non-paved roads?

Thanks

IMO, the answer is to go ride them both. Would you pick your wife based on other guy's opinions? I have a GS and love it. Bought it based riding paved roads only. I know an RT is a great bike but have never ridden one. It may or may not be the best for me, but it would have to be a whole lot better to make me change my mind on the GS.

Since I haven't had much luck with wives maybe someone else's opinion would be better than mine. lol. I have a test ride set up when I can get to the dealer. Just wondering what oither people think.

The GS has more suspension travel and clearance, is a little lighter, and can take a tip-over w/o cracking a fairing. It also offers good wind protection but you still get the breeze around you. W/O all the plastic to remove the GS is easier to work on. An RT offers great wind protection. RT offers better comfort for a passenger. As far as handling on the road an RT feels a little heavier in the front. GS Adventure feels 1/2 way between a GS and RT and pretty much splits the difference regarding wind protection as well.

Hey Buck,

I'm in Raleigh. I own an RT and I've ridden a GS a lot. Here's my thoughts:

Crash protection on RT: Why? I've lowsided my RT twice in sand. I pick it up and off I go. No big deal. Last time it slid on the asphault about 30 feet. I repaired the panier, painted it, and it was done. The valve cover has a lot of road rash, but that's a scar with a story, and I am leaving it. Prompts a lot of "how'd you do that?" questions.

Off road: The GS is a bit lighter, but not much. The main difference is dual sport tires. I think more suspension travel, too. I take my RT off road at times in the Smokies, it does fine for the ten mile stretches we need to cross. Neither the GS or RT are dirt bikes. I have a Suzuki for that.

On Road: The GS is a bit more nimble, but in the hands of a competent rider, the difference is slight to nil. The RT has better rider protection for wind, rain, cold, etc. The little GS windscreen is annoying to me. I'd rather take it off completely as I get a quieter ride on my naked R90/6 than I do with that annoying GS windshield.

My summary: If you ride street, go with the RT. It is nimble in the corners, plenty fast in the straights, and very comfortable and quiet (air sound, engine is same as GS).

If you ride dirt, get a proper dirt bike, or a more dirt leaning dual sport like a Suzy DRZ.

If you are going to Alaska, either put dual sport tires on your RT or get a GS.

Crash protection? personal preference. I don't like my stuff messed up. Dropped it a parking lot when the kickstand rebounded and I was too quick getting off to check it. Thanks for the info. About what I thought. I was thinking about this last night. Getting ready for a ride. Shipping bikes to Seattle, flying out then riding back. I believe most of the bikes are GS's. Seveal are the new water cooled version. I love riding my RT. But all that plastic is a pain in the ass. I like to put stuff on my bikes and taking that stuff out has become routine. But I do drd the thought every time I want to do something small and have take it apart. I used to love to work on my Harleys.

Ok, sure, but what kind of protection? You could add some valve cover guards, they are cheap and easy, but what else would you need? You can't really protect the panier, and in fact, it is a crash guard. The bike will slide on the valve cover (or guard), bar end, and panier. That protects it quite well in a slide. Once I broke a foot peg but that was easily aluminum welded here in my shop.

You could fashion some home made Delrin sliders on a lathe, or modify some pre made ones, like I have on my CBR600 for the track, but they just aren't needed.

As far as knock over protection, the panier is all that would take a beating. I slide my bikes, but I don't drop or knock them over!

Also don't be tempted to ride panier free. If you do, that bike will tear up your leg as it and your ankle will take the weight of the bike. With the panier, you are easily protected from the weight and can easily separate from the bike in a low side. And then the repair work is easy and inexpensive. Same thing for the GS.

What type of small work are you doing? I can take every panel off the RT in about 15 minutes, but RARELY do I need them all off. About the only time I do it is if I'm flushing the ABS system. Otherwise, the front pieces come off quickly, the side pieces quickly. I don't remove the tank unless I need to get to the ABS.

Your shipping to Seattle. If you plan to ride a lot off-road, put on some dual sport tires. Keep the suspension soft (Comfort mode if you have ESA) and you'll be fine.

Here's my RT after sliding about 30 feet on the road. The blue tape marked the scrapes on the panier and valve cover. There is slight marking on the bar end. That's pretty minimal damage for 30 feet of road. Pick up, brush off, ride. The RT recovers from low sides well.

You'll likely find the GS delightfully easier and quicker handling on road, and that's due mostly to the wider handlebars. The larger front wheel diameter contributes, too.

You'll likely find the GS delightfully easier and quicker handling on road, and that's due mostly to the wider handlebars. The larger front wheel diameter contributes, too.
What he said!!!
In mountain twisties a GS is fantastic. My previous bike was a Triumph 1050 Tiger. On the same roads, I thought my GS was rather slow compared to the Tiger. Then I looked at the speedo. I was going 10-15mph faster than the Tiger but it seemed slower. A GS is just so easy to glide through turns.

Hey Buck,

I'm in Raleigh. I own an RT and I've ridden a GS a lot. Here's my thoughts:

Crash protection on RT: Why? I've lowsided my RT twice in sand. I pick it up and off I go. No big deal. Last time it slid on the asphault about 30 feet. I repaired the panier, painted it, and it was done. The valve cover has a lot of road rash, but that's a scar with a story, and I am leaving it. Prompts a lot of "how'd you do that?" questions.

Off road: The GS is a bit lighter, but not much. The main difference is dual sport tires. I think more suspension travel, too. I take my RT off road at times in the Smokies, it does fine for the ten mile stretches we need to cross. Neither the GS or RT are dirt bikes. I have a Suzuki for that.

On Road: The GS is a bit more nimble, but in the hands of a competent rider, the difference is slight to nil. The RT has better rider protection for wind, rain, cold, etc. The little GS windscreen is annoying to me. I'd rather take it off completely as I get a quieter ride on my naked R90/6 than I do with that annoying GS windshield.

My summary: If you ride street, go with the RT. It is nimble in the corners, plenty fast in the straights, and very comfortable and quiet (air sound, engine is same as GS).

If you ride dirt, get a proper dirt bike, or a more dirt leaning dual sport like a Suzy DRZ.

If you are going to Alaska, either put dual sport tires on your RT or get a GS.

I would add to the crash protection point:

I have the touratech engine protection bars and they are very easily dragged in the corners. Quite the pucker factor!! I would opt for no protection. The heads aren't much more expensive than the cheap plastic covers (which you will end up replacing if they drag anyway). The bag catches 90% of the impact. These can be repainted easily and often. Or just embrace the scars and appreciate the character it adds!

I have the touratech engine protection bars and they are very easily dragged in the corners. Quite the pucker factor!! /QUOTE]

good point. My buddy had crash bars on his Speed Triple. They dragged in a corner and made him go down. We now joke that "crash bars" make you crash.

Does anyone know if valve cover guards drag? I routinely drag my foot peg indicators but have no idea how close that makes the valve covers to the ground.

If you ride on the rode , RT all the way!

Personally, I do not like the ergonomics of the GS. Just not comfortable for me. Just hated just about everything about it! Just my opinion.

take a look at an r12r

You bet! I had an RT and started riding my wife's R; pretty soon it was mine. It can be anything you want. Put TKC80s on it and it will do dirt roads very well; seen them on the Dalton and Dempster Hwys. Put street tires, a decent windshield, panniers and side cases on it and it is a very good long haul rig (over 30k miles on mine in the last 16 months), and take all the stuff off it and it and it is a respectable canyon carver.

Just replaced the RT with an FJR1300. We'll see how that works out.

What he said, I don't think the deciding factor is road/dirt, but highways vs small twist roads. I have seen rides go from even the R1100S to a GS and instantly be faster on the twisty back roads.

The RT is still very capable, but the GS is just easier to navigate.

I bought an 05 R1200GS and loved it until the day I sold it about 3 months ago. I bought a slightly used 09 R1200RT and I'm really struggling to like it. I've ridden dirt bikes for 40+ years and I think that's why I loved the ergos of the GS so much. I felt like I sat "on" the GS and I sit "in" the RT if that makes sense. I'm going to give the RT some more time and miles but if I don't fall deeply in love with it then it's time for someone else to enjoy it and I'll pick up a GS or GSA. I only took my GS off road a few times and have already taken my RT down some fire roads. The GS is WAY superior on dirt. (again may just be my years on a dirt bike)

So popular;

Both models draw huge ownership loyalties:). Both are so very popular models, best sellers by BMW. Comparing is like apples and oranges, just not fair as I see it. They are two totally opposite riding styles. You pick one or the other or even maybe both if you have means, but your choice of adventure is in the pudding, so eat well:). My choice has been GS/GSAs for decades now and even one KLT1200 thrown in there and some much older Airheads. The GSA1200 I currently keep near to my heart is at 108000m and arguably the best BMW I ever owned in 42 years owning them. Many have been so swell to me. I think you find RT vs GSA a argument within you, that tears at many before you. If ya find yourself passing many adventures and byways and wondering out loud to yourself, just whats over that way on that dirt road or rough road, you've got the answer. If ya don't care and find all your adventure on pavement or very easy short dirt excursions, an RT is perfect. Dig deep, both are indeed BMWs best sellers and offer a ton of enjoyment. I think you want it ALL, the GSA is it, bar none.

OK.. I'll bite.

After renting a R1200GS, I purchased an 06 R1200GSA. I'm 6'2", with a 32" inseam and must say that this bike fits me like a glove. The ergos are just perfect and I can ride it all day long. My best friend has an 08 R1200RT and I've ridden it many times. Fantastic bike. Seems like it has more power than my GSA. Super easy to ride, but like others have said, the GS handles better because of the wide bars. The RT has all the gadgets.. cruise control, electric windshield, TPM, heated seat, etc. etc. The problem for me with the RT, after being on the GSA for years, is that my knees always feel like they are up to my chest. The ergonomics are different and for me, that is the reason i'd never consider getting an RT. I don't think I could ride it all day and be able to walk afterwards..

So, what I'm really trying to say is that both bikes are great for different people and different riding styles... Oh yeah, and I love not having to worry about keeping the GS clean. Hose it down with it's dirty.. no worries about scratches or it looking beautiful... because it never will.. She's an ugly pig and I love her!

Back