• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Removal of SHED System

Darryl Cainey

Sir Darby
I just picked up a 1993 R100GS in mint condition with 14,700 miles on it.
It's a 2 owner bike from North Carolina that was very well looked after.

This GS has never been touched complete with the SHED System intact.
From what I have read they can be very problematical and since I believe in simplicity, I would like to remove it.

Can you spell out the removal steps.

I tried to find the article without luck.

Thanks in advance!

Mine from prior owner was disconnected at the electrics to the solenoids. I went in and removed the solenoids and associated plumbing.
I know from research you have to plug the tiny nipple just to the left of the starter on top of the crankcase. I used one of the small
vacuum plugs you buy from your local auto store. Used some JB Weld on the exterior of the nipple and installed the plug. Works great.
Otherwise, I had to plug the now extra (2) ports in my airbox and used JB Weld for same. After that it is pretty much done. Only other
thing is my starter cover was now full of holes so I just bought a new cover from Bob's. It's the "European" version as the overseas versions
don't (or didn't) use the shed fuel system. Pretty easy if I do say so. Good luck. Oh, only other tip I found out was that I had to pull the
airbox to get the starter top cover off first. 3 bolts; 1 into top of transmission and 2 into back end of engine (top).

There are two solenoids under the starter cover. One opens/closes the fuel supply from the petcock(s) to the carbs and the other opens/closes the fuel tank vent line. This is a fuel vapor blocking system and was used only one or two years as far as I can remember. It is a very convoluted plumbing system inspired by the State of California, USA - but put on 50-state models I believe.

1. Disconnect the wiring from the solenoids. Wrap the connectors with insulating tape and forget them.
2. Run new fuel line from the petcock(s) to the carburetors without going through the solenoid fuel valve.
3. Run new tank vent line from the tank vent stub to the vicinity of the right footpeg.
4. I think there is also a vacuum stub at the crankcase that needs to be covered with a vacuum cap.
5. Hang the assorted old tubes, and solenoids on the wall of your garage as a memorial of sorts.

From what I have read they can be very problematical

Folklore...folklore! Mine runs for 24 years with all this "crap?" in place without a problem. Nice not to have to close the petcocks all the time and also nice not to have the gasoline vapor in the garage after a hot summer run.

/Guenther

Folklore...folklore! Mine runs for 24 years with all this "crap?" in place without a problem. Nice not to have to close the petcocks all the time and also nice not to have the gasoline vapor in the garage after a hot summer run.

/Guenther

Still, better to take the system off to make things simpler, especially when not needed!

Makes troubleshooting easier later on when there is a problem.

Thanks to all that posted!

My intent is to let it sit till spring while I am recuperating from knee surgery (this Monday)
and when I do my first checks I will remove it & put it on the wall.

/Guenther

On my 95RT, the solenoid that passes gas through to the carbs quit working, leaving me stranded. They do go bad at times.

Thanks to all that posted!

My intent is to let it sit till spring while I am recuperating from knee surgery (this Monday)
and when I do my first checks I will remove it & put it on the wall.

Ouch. Good luck next Monday.

Oh, and good planning to recuperate over winter! :thumb

Back