• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

continental divide ride?

tthouses

capt. paul
Im thinking of riding the Continental Divide and would appreciate any comments esp those who have done it. Should I do it with a group? Just where can i get a decent map of the ride? I have a GS 1150. When is the best time to do it?
Thanks in advance
Paul Violand
tthousesaustin@gmail.com

Expect lots of dust…….

Slow-Dust-M.jpg

Riding in a group is helpful but not necessary. If something goes wrong, need to fix a flat, etc a group can be helpful. Also certain resources can be shared reducing the weight each member carries; i.e. cooking equipment, tools, etc.

Starting later in the summer season- late July/Aug/early Sept-- helps reduce problems with snowpack at the higher elevations (depends on the amount of snowfall that occurred the winter before). Provided its not too late in the season and a winter weather pattern roles in. Also a later in the season; fewer daylight hours, mornings at elevation can be real cold. But I have been snowed on in the Rocky's in July and Aug if the weather patterns are just right (err…. wrong?)

Here are some resources:

Big Dog Adventures

Murgatoid42 Does the Continental Divide-ADV Forum

Two Tail Dogs RR

Les Stark RR

Jacohamman RR

Hope this will get you started.:groovy

A Book Recommendation from Whitehorse Press

Last edited:
Back